Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Duty Load

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Have there been any issues with running 124 +P ammo in G26's?
    Neither the HST 124 +P, nor the Gold Dot 124 Standard have had any issues running in my G26's.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Have there been any issues with running 124 +P ammo in G26's?
    NYPD and ICE, among other large agencies, issue the 124 +P Gold Dots and mandate the round for all issued/approved handguns so there are a lot of G26s running that round out there. I have neither seen nor heard of any issues.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

New Duty Load

i have put in excess of 25,000 rds of 124 +p Gold Dot thru a Glock 26 with no isuues.

This is odd....the last time I saw something like this is when the first gen Speer G2 Gold Dot had failures to expand....https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ampaign=768843

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    This is odd....the last time I saw something like this is when the first gen Speer G2 Gold Dot had failures to expand....https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ampaign=768843
    Recently, I happened across that very same page. That sort of packaging (denoting the ammunition as being for "training") is pretty suggestive that the ammunition contained within is not necessarily defective, but deficient in it's performance some way...perhaps 'factory seconds' due to some sort of error in the manufacturing process.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Its been a couple of years now since the 147gr HST has been revised, and questions about the new version’s effectiveness continue. I’ve got some of the old and some of the new. I’m not ready yet to swap this out for something else, particularly with the current shortage, but when people like Chuck Haggard are raising concerns, I start to listen more closely.

Is there any likelihood that the doctor will be testing this new version and reporting on it, particularly out of a short barrel? I suppose I could PM him myself, but he is a busy man and I’m a nobody. Just hoping he can put this discussion to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Its been a couple of years now since the 147gr HST has been revised, and questions about the new version’s effectiveness continue. I’ve got some of the old and some of the new. I’m not ready yet to swap this out for something else, particularly with the current shortage, but when people like Chuck Haggard are raising concerns, I start to listen more closely.

Is there any likelihood that the doctor will be testing this new version and reporting on it, particularly out of a short barrel? I suppose I could PM him myself, but he is a busy man and I’m a nobody. Just hoping he can put this discussion to rest.
    Due to the current shortage, I did not find it difficult to sell my HST 147 in order to help fund my purchase of HST 124gr +P.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post

If it goes bang and is accurate your skill set will mean more than it's TP.

147 HST has been my go to, however in light of the info presented I attempted to run the speer 124 +p load in my 43x this morning despite reports that this combo did not work well and can confirm.

FTF on round 9 of the first magazine. I didn’t attempt anymore.

I won’t be getting rid of my stash of HST 147 but I do hope this gets sorted. I’ll be on the look out for 147 G2 in the meantime to test
    Last edited by parishioner; 08-22-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If it goes bang and is accurate your skill set will mean more than it's TP.
    That is true. On the other hand, this is the ammunition forum, so it would seem to me that discussing ammo performance and characteristics, and changes in a particular brand's performance over time is an appropriate topic here. I feel it is reasonable and worthwhile to discuss a particular loading when knowledgeable start talking about a load that has been well-regarded for years and is "on the list" and say things like:

"I'm not a fan and neither was the range staff due to some issues in shootings with it"

"I watched the 147 HST go through auto glass and lodge base first only a few inches into the gel. The original loading was known for opening to a very large diameter. The new version isn't opening as large or at all after heavy clothing. Something that seems to be happening on our streets as well."

"We were seeing some them not expanding and pass throughs. We had several shootings with them since we switched to the 9mm. I don’t have an exact number. We wanted something more consistent."

"This used to be my go-to recommendation for short 9mm pistols. For several years. Now, not so much. I used to be able to do demo test shots in my small pistols class to show what we want to see from a good bullet design. Typically in Clear Gel, which I use just as an illustration, the HSTs and Gold Dots expand nicely through four layer denim, run the length of the block, and stop on the "clothing" I have on the back side to catch them. Over the past year I've been seeing failures from the 147gr HST, as in they completely fail to expand, thus act like a FMJFP."

So, yes, it is the shooter that matters more than the ammo, but if a "recommended" load has been changed by the mfr and now is likely to fail to expand in real world scenarios, then that is a discussion well-suited to the forum.

Besides, many people have to spend their own money on ammo, and if a shopper is standing in the store with a box of brand X in one hand and brand Y in the other and they both are going to cost that shopper something like $.80 per round, and one of those brands now sucks, then I suspect that shopper would like to know this stuff, and if he or she is going to make a decision based on Doc's "list" and one of those rounds really should not be on that list anymore, then we are doing a disservice to that person by not discussing the situation.

User Tag List