Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm more expensive than 40 cal....

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I do not think the outcome would be in favor of the zombies just because the only ammo I had left was 40S&W.
    I don't think anybody really thinks .40 doesn't work. It's just that it gives up mag capacity vs 9mm for not much in the way of real-world gain. If it's what you have available, then IMO rock on and you'll likely be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    I did the opposite. Decided to switch from exclusive 147 American Eagle to any cheap 9mm available.
    I am a nerd for reloading, so I figure if it is just as simple as buying 147g bullets it is just another rationalization (yeah, right!...) for farting around reloading 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I don't think anybody really thinks .40 doesn't work. It's just that it gives up mag capacity vs 9mm for not much in the way of real-world gain. If it's what you have available, then IMO rock on and you'll likely be fine.
    Then, depending on the gun, .40 may be harder to shoot well. Sigs and M&P's are supposedly easier than Glocks, but YMMV
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Then, depending on the gun, .40 may be harder to shoot well. Sigs and M&P's are supposedly easier than Glocks, but YMMV
    When my PD converted from S&W 5906 9mm to HK USP .40 in full size and compact versions, no one complained about the lighter .40's being harder to shoot. Everyone managed to qualify with the .40 cal guns.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I had just assumed that after Sandy Hook, most people on here planned way ahead for the future. Sandy Hook was my defining moment to get "future proof" on ammo and mags.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I had just assumed that after Sandy Hook, most people on here planned way ahead for the future. Sandy Hook was my defining moment to get "future proof" on ammo and mags.
    Sandy Hook was when I first got into the game (firearms in general). This event is my reason for spinning up my reloading setup and becoming self sufficient for my commonly used ammo. I won’t go through this kind of shortage without something again.

I had thought about doing it sooner, but the cost of reloading at the time didn’t make sense. Now that things have dramatically changed, it makes so much sense it literally hurts.

Site Supporter
    Depends on your definition of "future proof."

A lot of "fighting the last war" thinking with people keeping a .40 cal in the back of the safe since .40 was still on the shelves during the Sandyhook thing. Of course that was based on the assumption .40 would still be on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Depends on your definition of "future proof."

A lot of "fighting the last war" thinking with people keeping a .40 cal in the back of the safe since .40 was still on the shelves during the Sandyhook thing. Of course that was based on the assumption .40 would still be on the shelf.
    Yup, that was my thought too. This time around is “the next time” and this time IF I can find anything on the shelf I’ve only found 10mm and .45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Sandy Hook was when I first got into the game (firearms in general). This event is my reason for spinning up my reloading setup and becoming self sufficient for my commonly used ammo. I won’t go through this kind of shortage without something again.

I had thought about doing it sooner, but the cost of reloading at the time didn’t make sense. Now that things have dramatically changed, it makes so much sense it literally hurts.
    Exactly.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yup. I've been stocking ammo in bulk since the run up to the 2016 election. Particularly at my rather low current rate of consumption, I have enough for at least the next 2-3 years.

User Tag List