Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm more expensive than 40 cal....

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I just got in an order of 124gr bullets from Xtreme. My mailman didn't look like he was enjoying it.
    Whenever I get an order from the Blue Bullets, I jokingly call it a "mailman hatred" worth of bullets.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Real glad I still have that glock 35

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Real glad I still have that glock 35
    I am not into panic mode on 9mm quite yet, and I have plenty of powder and primers, but keep becoming tempted on buying some 9mm bullets that are not what I want, but are available.

But this reminds me that I do still have my M&P-40, and maybe 3k loaded rounds, and probably another 1k of bullets a buddy dropped off when he transitioned to 9mm completely. So I should just cool my jets and not buy some shit I do not want. I probably have ~2500 rounds of loaded practice ammo, even though I am almost out of the stuff I optimally prefer. But if the day ever comes when I shoot my last available 9mm practice round the solution is as simple as grabbing the well appointed pistol that is in the safe and start churning through the ~3k of .40 that has been holding down the basement floor...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Out on lake for 4th - America! - couple of guys talking about hard to find ammo. They know I shoot “a little” and ask where I am buying ammo. I told them I buy ammo way before the shortages and load my own practice and competition ammo.
    Agreed. Unfortunately you have to stack it deep when times are good.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am not into panic mode on 9mm quite yet, and I have plenty of powder and primers, but keep becoming tempted on buying some 9mm bullets that are not what I want, but are available.

But this reminds me that I do still have my M&P-40, and maybe 3k loaded rounds, and probably another 1k of bullets a buddy dropped off when he transitioned to 9mm completely. So I should just cool my jets and not buy some shit I do not want. I probably have ~2500 rounds of loaded practice ammo, even though I am almost out of the stuff I optimally prefer. But if the day ever comes when I shoot my last available 9mm practice round the solution is as simple as grabbing the well appointed pistol that is in the safe and start churning through the ~3k of .40 that has been holding down the basement floor...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    This is pretty much me too. I still have my M&P40 and a dozen mags and holsters and about 2k of practice ammo plus four boxes of HST in addition to the two loaded mags with it as my nightstand gun. Right before the current panic hit I had ordered enough powder, primers, and bullets to load 6k of 9x19 so I'm in good shape there.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I still have my M&P40 and a dozen mags and holsters and about 2k of practice ammo
    I have thought the future will hold a 10mm 1911, and a 40 barrel would be a nice accessory. But if I end up shooting them for practice in my day to day M&Ps that buys me a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately you have to stack it deep when times are good.
    I am also considering transitioning to 147g for practice so I ran the 115g supply down low and BAM, bites me in the ass!!

Times are tough. I just traded a buddy of mine a 10” BCM handguard for 250 rounds of 9mm and 250 of 5.56. Can’t find ammo anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    After Sandy Hook, I noted that .40 S&W and .45 GAP were still available whereas 9x19 and rimfire ammo was unobtanium. I decided to add .40 versions of my carry pistols for practice as well as stock up on ammo at prices where it made sense. As such, I acquired a G23.3 and a P30 in .40 S&W for peanuts as no one wanted .40 pistols not that long ago. When ammo supplies dwindled and prices rose, I pulled the .40 pistols from the safe for practice. I still have a decent amount of 9x19 carry ammo, but my practice ammo has been depleted (not exhausted -- yet). As such, my limited practicing is with .40.

Next stage, should it be needed, will be a return to the 1911 as I still load .45 ACP and 9x23 Winchester.
    Yup. I scored a Beretta 96D for cheap last year. I wanted a DAO Beretta for practice. I kept the barrel and mags "just in case" and bought some Speer 165-grain Gold Dot .40 ammo on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yup. I scored a Beretta 96D for cheap last year. I wanted a DAO Beretta for practice. I kept the barrel and mags "just in case" and bought some Speer 165-grain Gold Dot .40 ammo on sale.
    My cousin has a 96 Vertec that was a PD trade from someplace that he bought at Bud's. I have shot it, and I would pity the fool that I might be shooting at with it.

While I am one of the people that converted to 9mm kicking and screaming but now have almost totally shifted over and am glad I did, I do think Farty got thrown under the bus a little bit. If the zombies were trudging down my dead end street and I had to toss on a pink polo shirt and grab a pistol (especially my cousin's 96 or my M&P), I do not think the outcome would be in favor of the zombies just because the only ammo I had left was 40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am also considering transitioning to 147g for practice so I ran the 115g supply down low and BAM, bites me in the ass!!
    I did the opposite. Decided to switch from exclusive 147 American Eagle to any cheap 9mm available. Shot up most of the 147 and failed to properly re-up on 115. I have probably 8 matches worth of match ammo, and maybe 6 months worth of cheap stuff if I cut back significantly.

User Tag List