Thread: Jim Garthwaite Passes

Jim Garthwaite Passes

Not sure where this news belongs. But it seemed most appropriate here.

I am saddened by this and it is a loss to the handgun community as a whole.

https://obituaries.dailyitem.com/obi...-jr-1079458877

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

It was addressed here:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1076571

But thank you for bringing it up in its own thread, the man deserves more than just passing posts in another thread.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It was addressed here:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1076571

But thank you for bringing it up in its own thread, the man deserves more than just passing posts in another thread.
    Sorry for the double post. I poked around the forums and missed that it was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sorry for the double post. I poked around the forums and missed that it was posted.

Don't be :-)

I think the man deserves his own thread and I'm glad you posted it.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I talked to Mr. Garthwaite a few months ago to see if he wanted to work on a Hi Power for me.

I never had any work done by the man but he was open and friendly on the phone. He had a very good reputation and I'm sure he'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I talked to Mr. Garthwaite a few months ago to see if he wanted to work on a Hi Power for me.

I never had any work done by the man but he was open and friendly on the phone. He had a very good reputation and I'm sure he'll be missed.

That he was and actually knowledgeable about the fighting end of things (not all great gunsmiths are) as he was, over its lifetime, one of the organizers and ROs of the NTI.

He worked on two 1911s that I had. Both of them were worked over by someone else first (Gunsite in one case) but he undertook the work with perfect professionalism and gave me exactly what I wanted and needed.

A sad loss. Jim was a good man and an artist in gunsmithing.

That is very sad. He built works of art, and was a teacher of so many present-day smiths.

Rest in peace, sir.

Site Supporter
    I met him a few times and he was always great to talk to and answer questions. I really wish I had a few 1911s built by him. Hopefully folks will post pics of his work

Aubrey<><

User Tag List