Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: NFL to Play Black National Anthem in Week 1

Poli-Sci: NFL to Play Black National Anthem in Week 1

I've not watched the NFL for some years (in fact, most professional sports), but I found this referenced in my feed today:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-w...es-report-says

"The NFL will reportedly play “Lift Ev’ry Voice And Sing,” which is also known as the black national anthem, before every Week 1 NFL game in the 2020 season, according to ESPN. The decision to play the song comes following the death of Minneapolis man George Floyd, which led to nationwide protests over racial inequality and police brutality. According to the ESPN report, the song will be played before “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

also this, from the same article:

"We, at the National Football League, believe Black Lives Matter," Goodell said in the video. "I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League and the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality, and oppression of black players, coaches, fans, and staff. We are listening, I am listening, and I will be reaching out to players who have raised their voices and others on how we can improve and go forward for a better and more united NFL family.”

That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it plays out.

Injecting politics into everything is an excellent way to piss people off.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    So, will the properly “woke” players kneel or stand during “Lift Ev’ry Voice And Sing”?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I've not watched the NFL for some years (in fact, most professional sports), but I found this referenced in my feed today:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-w...es-report-says

"The NFL will reportedly play “Lift Ev’ry Voice And Sing,” which is also known as the black national anthem, before every Week 1 NFL game in the 2020 season, according to ESPN. The decision to play the song comes following the death of Minneapolis man George Floyd, which led to nationwide protests over racial inequality and police brutality. According to the ESPN report, the song will be played before “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

also this, from the same article:

"We, at the National Football League, believe Black Lives Matter," Goodell said in the video. "I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League and the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality, and oppression of black players, coaches, fans, and staff. We are listening, I am listening, and I will be reaching out to players who have raised their voices and others on how we can improve and go forward for a better and more united NFL family.”

That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Injecting politics into everything is an excellent way to piss people off.
    And not particularly smart when your product is easily replaced. Apple and Google can piss people off and they'll (mostly) come crawling back. When lower blood pressure if a remote button away, it's a whole different story. Different folks are at different places on the GAF spectrum re the NFL, but I think we're going to see empirical data as to exactly how many can be put into "serious fan/diehard fan" category.

It's reached the point I don't care if I ever watch another pro game of any sport...but for hockey...and it may be on the bubble soon.

Between the poor decision making of the leagues, owners, entitled player associations etc...I've about run out of fucks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I no longer watch the vast majority of professional sports.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I no longer watch the vast majority of professional sports.
    My wife is going to be the one that takes it poorly if I don't re-up and of our sports subscriptions. I mostly get them for her the past few years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You have to virtue signal if you're going to survive in today's America. Besides, I gave up on the NFL years ago when they let Bob Costas go on an extended anti-gun rant during a Cowboy game.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's reached the point I don't care if I ever watch another pro game of any sport...but for hockey...and it may be on the bubble soon.

Between the poor decision making of the leagues, owners, entitled player associations etc...I've about run out of fucks.

There are alternatives. The only time these guys kneel is to tie their shoes and it isn't all, 'Line up, Fall Down."
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Goodell said in the video. "....Without black players, there would be no National Football League .....”
    This, really, is the crux of the matter.

"We can't continue to profit from this group of people unless we keep them happy enough to keep playing our game. We feel that the critical mass in the public eye has swung far enough this was to make a calculated bet that the risk of not doing this is greater than the risk of doing it. Thanks for watching."
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List