Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shootings soar 205 percent after NYPD disbands anti-crime unit

The educator in me loves to see so many minds learning such a valuable lesson. Too bad the students seem intent on prolonging the lesson in perpetuity.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @SeriousStudent,

FWIW, I didn't read your question as anti-cop or critical, at all.

I'm under the impression that plainclothes enforcement units get in more shootings as a general rule of thumb, because they're typically proactive and seeking trouble (or following "trouble" around and waiting to catch them red-handed on a charge worth booking them for). Also, their "calls" aren't being handled by uniformed patrol guys. Plainclothes violent offender/fugitive/drug/gang/anti-crime units don't do "calls", if you will. A lot of their work is bottom-up planning and execution, not just top-down "go here and do this" when someone calls 911.

The work simply isn't being done at all. It's not just a matter of "taking calls", if that makes sense.

As for the statistics, I'd be really interested to see that as well. Small sample, but LAPD SIS (a more niche, specialized plainclothes unit than NYPD's Anti-Crime focusing on particular violent offenders) statistically gets in more shootings-per-officer than patrol. It's something they've been heavily criticized for by anti-law groups since the 1990s.

Ah, gotcha, and that makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

I have been using me wee stubby digits and looking for any public data related to the NYPD SOP 9 reports. I have not found anything publicly available, but I'm going to keep digging.

I have had a couple of conversations over cigars and fine liquor in DB's backyard about SIS shooting stats and personnel. They definitely did serious work with a high degree of accuracy. That was kinda what set the hamster wheel spinning inside my head.

I just think it would be fascinating to turn lose some folks like Claude Werner, John Herne, Karl Rehn or John Daub on that data, and see what correlations can be derived. Take someone with sound tactical judgement, and let them analyse information. I am sure the FTU folks at NYPD do the same thing, but data from inside is not always given the attention it deserves.

Thanks again for the data.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

As for the statistics, I'd be really interested to see that as well. Small sample, but LAPD SIS (a more niche, specialized plainclothes unit than NYPD's Anti-Crime focusing on particular violent offenders) statistically gets in more shootings-per-officer than patrol. It's something they've been heavily criticized for by anti-law groups since the 1990s.
    Our US Marshall TF goes after the same type of violent, armed career criminals. They are involved in a lot of shootings. I’d bet the stats for like units are very similar.

I’ve heard stats for K9 handlers are 1 in 15 are involved in OIS. Patrol is 1 in a 100.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Oh well. Time to send in the social workers.
    And community organizers. Don't forget to send in the community organizers, too. 🙄
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Our US Marshall TF goes after the same type of violent, armed career criminals. They are involved in a lot of shootings. I’d bet the stats for like units are very similar.

I’ve heard stats for K9 handlers are 1 in 15 are involved in OIS. Patrol is 1 in a 100.
    Thats probably just because they don’t give the people they arrest choco-tacos.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

And no one is crying for more gun control?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    And no one is crying for more gun control?
    Yet...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yet...
    Yeah, the first shot a legally armed conservative fires in a justified use of deadly force.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

It's coming. That's the "reason" the politicians will cite for the massive increase in all of these shootings and murders. It will be the guns' fault and certainly nothing they've done, refused to do, or allowed to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    It's coming. That's the "reason" the politicians will cite for the massive increase in all of these shootings and murders. It will be the guns' fault and certainly nothing they've done, refused to do, or allowed to occur.
    Oh yes. Many shenanigans coming:

https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

A taster:

"Hold gun manufacturers accountable. In 2005, then-Senator Biden voted against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, but gun manufacturers successfully lobbied Congress to secure its passage. "

Repealing PLCAA will put gun makers in the hot seat for virtually unlimited Bloomberg-financed lawsuits by aggrieved family. It's coming.

"Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines."

Notice it's no longer about "rifles". It's "assault weapons". This is a subtle but key change in the everytown narrative. Hint: A semi-automatic handgun could be classified as an "assault weapon". Maybe. As long as we're thinking about it. I mean why not.

"End the online sale of firearms and ammunitions. Biden will enact legislation to prohibit all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts."

See California et al. You will only be able to buy your annual two shotgun blast cartridges at the local Authorized Shotgun Blast Store, and only then with an approved Shotgun Blast ID card and an up to date Shotgun Blast Background check.

"Put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns. "

Which, you know, sounds great. Especially if you are a wealthy, upmarket Microsoft investor, with a house in Renton and Jackson Hole. i mean, once we have Smart guns, all those other dumb guns will just vaporize off the streetz.

User Tag List