Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another highway take-over, another group of protesters struck

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/2-women-h...-amid-protests

I really only posted this to quote this piece of journalistic excellence:

No shit? Thanks, Fox. I would be left wondering if they were still floating in the air if not for Fox taking the time to inform me gravity is still a thing.
    Calling them protesters, or even "protesters" plays into the anarcho-communist narrative, promotes a cycle of escalation and diminishes legitimate protesters.

FOX and all of us need to stop calling them protesters, or even "protesters" rather call them what they are, rioters.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Of course we didn't investigate such scenes as feds, but I've come up on a few. The saddest thing for me was always the empty shoes, and the rag doll limpness of the bodies after the bones have been broken. Just one of those images that stays with you.
    Always check the trees.

Wad the fook is blocking highways supposed to accomplish in the long term, really? Are people who are trying to get home after a hard day's work (and the need for a quiet sitdown in the bathroom) supposed to be suddenly converted to the cause because a bunch of people are standing in their way?

My suspicion is that it's justified trolling.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Wad the fook is blocking highways supposed to accomplish in the long term, really? Are people who are trying to get home after a hard day's work (and the need for a quiet sitdown in the bathroom) supposed to be suddenly converted to the cause because a bunch of people are standing in their way?

My suspicion is that it's justified trolling.
    The whole point of a protest is to get eyeballs, and blocking a major roadway gets media attention and that greatly expands how many eyeballs see it.

I've mentioned on here before that we, as a department, have a pretty good relationship with most of our protesters. Most of the arrests are staged. We know ahead of time who's going to remain in the street after being told to leave. They get "arrested" and get their picture in the media. We get cooperation in knowing when and where and for how long so we can safely shut down traffic.

I disagree that simply blocking traffic makes an otherwise peaceful protest into a riot. Threatening occupants of vehicles, etc. then yes. A sit-in in an intersection is just regular hippy shit. Interstates just require more hippies.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

BBI, I don’t agree with you that blocking highways is acceptable or legal. This is dangerous for many reasons, and threatens the safety of protesters, drivers, bystanders, those in need of urgent medical transportation, and more.

In my ideal city, protests are limited to prescribed areas, and when they turn destructive, violent, or otherwise unlawful, they will be shut down.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The whole point of a protest is to get eyeballs, and blocking a major roadway gets media attention and that greatly expands how many eyeballs see it.

I've mentioned on here before that we, as a department, have a pretty good relationship with most of our protesters. Most of the arrests are staged. We know ahead of time who's going to remain in the street after being told to leave. They get "arrested" and get their picture in the media. We get cooperation in knowing when and where and for how long so we can safely shut down traffic.

I disagree that simply blocking traffic makes an otherwise peaceful protest into a riot. Threatening occupants of vehicles, etc. then yes. A sit-in in an intersection is just regular hippy shit. Interstates just require more hippies.
    So, just organized trolling then, with no real long term goal. Which is counter to what the old Civil Rights protest, which were done with an actual goal in mind.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    BBI, I don’t agree with you that blocking highways is acceptable or legal. This is dangerous for many reasons, and threatens the safety of protesters, drivers, bystanders, those in need of urgent medical transportation, and more.

In my ideal city, protests are limited to prescribed areas, and when they turn destructive, violent, or otherwise unlawful, they will be shut down.
    Well, he's not saying it's legal...by any means, simply that they have found a way via communication from keeping things from going all the way sideways.

I won't try to answer the rest of the particulars because your points are well taken, CF.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I went to a school for crash reconstruction for people who aren't good at math or science once, and they did some simulated pedestrian strikes. I remember that a 30mph strike sent the test dummy about 120 feet...
    I worked a call where they determined the pedestrian went airborne 187 feet. Left his laced up tennis shoes in the middle of the crosswalk.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

What is truly BS is calling the people on the roadways who are struck by the vehicles "victims", and the innocent motorists "suspects".

That shit is absolutely ass backwards.

The people made a purposeful decision to place themselves on the roadway, breaking the law.

That does not make them a victim,

unless it is of their own stupidity.

The motorist was simply driving to or from wherever, minding their own business, and are the victims of the lawbreakers.

There are always going to be select circumstances that may differ, but that seems to be a common theme.

This shit is getting real old, real fast.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I didn't say they were legal. Obstruction of traffic is a misdemeanor here.

Which is more acceptable? A coordinated shutdown with law enforcement present, slowing then stopping traffic, and keeping the protesters and bystanders separated, allowing other first responders to know ahead of time the route will be blocked, and having an agreed upon end time vs guerilla protests? Because that's your options. Mass misdemeanor arrests means they can be back out blocking a road again tomorrow if they want to be. Especially out of towners. Nobody is going to extradite them back for a misdemeanor.

Yeah, it may suck. So does an overturned semi. Yet you deal with it.

I am not a fan of "1st amendment zones" absent a bonafide security reason. I think that cure is worse then the disease. I've dealt with protesters for over a decade, from NRA rallies to BLM, and many took the streets but only one became a riot or resulted in damage beyond littering.

What do you propose we do with those who decide to picket outside your area?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List