Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another highway take-over, another group of protesters struck

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Another highway take-over, another group of protesters struck

https://www.foxnews.com/us/2-women-h...-amid-protests

I really only posted this to quote this piece of journalistic excellence:

Video of the crash on social media showed a white car striking the women, who flew into the air before landing on the ground.
    No shit? Thanks, Fox. I would be left wondering if they were still floating in the air if not for Fox taking the time to inform me gravity is still a thing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I went to a school for crash reconstruction for people who aren't good at math or science once, and they did some simulated pedestrian strikes. I remember that a 30mph strike sent the test dummy about 120 feet...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/2-women-h...-amid-protests

I really only posted this to quote this piece of journalistic excellence:

No shit? Thanks, Fox. I would be left wondering if they were still floating in the air if not for Fox taking the time to inform me gravity is still a thing.

I am Isaac Newton and I approve this message...

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I went to a school for crash reconstruction for people who aren't good at math or science once, and they did some simulated pedestrian strikes. I remember that a 30mph strike sent the test dummy about 120 feet...
    Kind of like being shot with .45ACP! [emoji16]

Of course we didn't investigate such scenes as feds, but I've come up on a few. The saddest thing for me was always the empty shoes, and the rag doll limpness of the bodies after the bones have been broken. Just one of those images that stays with you.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Curious to see what further information comes out. Saw this in the news clips this morning, other vids showed that (I believe) prior to the pedestrians being hit, the car was stopped, had flashers on, then being approached by someone on foot, shouting and angry pedestrian addressing driver, then a couple shots before the car took off. No idea if shots were incoming or outgoing.

Another clip showed a woman witness discussing it and mentioning the shots from somewhere she couldnt see before the pedestrian strikes.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If I'm ever in a situation where I'm stuck in the middle of a protest I'm going to just sit it out and stew. If shots are fired or if my car is breeched or trying to disable it (like cutting the tires or flipping it over) or otherwise putting me or my passengers at danger then its right pedal.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If I'm ever in a situation where I'm stuck in the middle of a protest I'm going to just sit it out and stew. If shots are fired or if my car is breeched or trying to disable it (like cutting the tires or flipping it over) or otherwise putting me or my passengers at danger then its right pedal.
    That seems like an extremely reasonable plan.
    Accept (but resent) the inconvenience.
    Don’t accept threats to your safety.

Speaking of feds not doing traffic crashes..

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Of course we didn't investigate such scenes as feds, but I've come up on a few. The saddest thing for me was always the empty shoes, and the rag doll limpness of the bodies after the bones have been broken. Just one of those images that stays with you.

Speaking of feds not investigating crashes, in one of those strange "Never thought it would of occurred, but it did" kind of incidents, I will share an event that happened while I was working in Iraq.

I was working doing PSD, and we were doing our thing on a run. There was an incident involving one of our vehicles that was an injury/fatality type situation for the occupants.

There is a lot more to the story, but I am not sure what still might be current SOP, so I will skip that part. Anyways we got our guys on the helo, and we were out of there quickly.

On the way back to our REO, I was thinking that due to seriousness of the situation that there would be an investigation, and if we did not preserve the evidence then too many things could go wrong and be called into question.

Once back I went to the headshed, and talked to the bosses and pitched my idea.

I said that since I was one of the few guys who had a background as an investigator, and there was another guy I knew who did as well, that we should get a helicopter, and some gear, some guys for security, and go do a reconstruction immediately before the vehicle was scavenged/dragged off by the locals. So with tape measures and other gear in hand, we had the birds re-fuel and off we went.

We ended up doing a pretty decent reconstruction (based on the limited resources at hand), complete with coefficients of friction, yaw mark speed calculations, the whole nine yards. It took a good while since we were working with limited resources . It was very fortunate we got on it when we did, as by the time we got out there, the vehicle had already been moved from it final resting place. In fact you can see in the pic that the vehicle had been dragged away from where it initially came to rest.

I figured it was important for transparency. The families of our men, our organization, everyone involved would be better off with a purely fact based report. (The outfit I worked for at that time was very small and our reputation was everything, so it was important to maintain it) When the investigators got there a few days later, I was called in and interviewed after they spoke to our Regional Security Officer (RSO). I was able to simply hand them a packet of facts, including vehicle speed, times the vehicle rolled, final resting place, etc. Some of it needed some clarification as they were investigators, but not crash investigators, and some of the stuff was based on math formulas only used in crash investigations (as far as I know).

It went well and our organization was immediately cleared. The interesting thing was that I was offered a contract job with them, investigating critical incidents involving contractors in the middle east. However while I was honored by the offer, it paid less than what I was doing, so I declined.

One thing that I found irony in was that I had absolutely hated taking crash reports, and had always taken other roles/assignments such as firearms instructor, EP, etc. Anything to avoid doing crash reports.

Never expected I would end up doing one for the feds a few years later on a highway in the middle of a war zone.

Hell, I even squirmed out of doing accident reports when I was duty agent (once every few months) and one of the agents or inspectors got themselves in an accident with a g-ride and called it in. I pride myself on that accomplishment.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List