Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grayguns HK P30 Straight Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Does the short reset also reduce the take up?
    From the GG site:

$89.00

The HK® P30 Straight Trigger is designed for hard use and competition to deliver performance and quality that will outlast your pistol.

Reduces gross over-travel allowing for shorter reset
    Straight face for improved finger placement
    Vertical, 90-degree wall for an optimal trigger break

I pretty much run ALL pistol triggers at my first distal joint, especially heavy DA triggers. 92 and CZ triggers are almost the perfect shape for me using when this technique. Not sure I'm a fan of what I'm seeing here. Blocky/flat faced AND it looks like the length of pull is increased. Flat faces make sense on striker, SA, and rifle triggers. Not sure if it makes much sense here.

When I get mine, I'll measure trigger reach difference between it and the stock trigger using digital mics.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I like flat triggers in general, but this doesn’t look appealing to me. It definitely seems like the initial take up would be very awkward. I also feel like dicking with the trigger would undermine the reason I chose the P30 platform to begin with.
    This pretty much sums it up, not to mention that it's fugly. I'd be kind of interested in a steel curved trigger though, the plastic OEM trigger flexes before it starts articulating.

Well, here's the end result. Gun is a P30 LEM with 4.1ch and GGI short reset kit. Originally, it measured 2.87 inches from the top seam of the removable backstrap straight forward to the trigger face. I measured straight forward for consistency, and didn't attempt to measure to the "center" of the trigger.

With the GGI straight trigger, the full DA reach measures 2.91 inches. The LEM pull measures 2.857 inches. Overall, no substantial difference from the stock trigger. I'd estimate my margin of error in measurement at 0.05-0.07 inches, so the difference here is within my margin of error. It's a little tricky to measure, for me at least, considering the shape of the trigger, so I apologize in advance if this is not precise enough for everyone.

I don't know that I would run this trigger in a DA/SA variant, as the trigger shape and minimally increased length of pull does feel less than ideal for a heavier DA pull in my opinion. In LEM, especially light LEM, I think the trigger feels just fine. The break does happen right at around 90 degrees. I agree, based on appearance you would think initial take up would be awkward, but with light LEM it's not a big deal.

The shape of the trigger shoe appears similar to the OEM one, as if the length of the shoe had been flatened and the convex shape of the shoe flattened as well. It's not uncomfortable at all and I find I kind of like it. I particularly like the broad, smooth face of the trigger, but then I'm generally not a fan of serrated triggers. GGI does make a flat face curved trigger for the P320. I feel like that would probably be a better shape for me, and I'd buy one if they make it. At the end of the day, this is a heat-treated, tool steel, sub $100 option from a reputable manufacturer. Personally, I'm just glad it's another new part people are making for the platform.

Trigger pulled, at rest in full DA:
    Name:  IMG_20200713_080002_tn.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  43.9 KB

Slide racked, at rest in LEM:
    Name:  IMG_20200713_075902_tn.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  46.6 KB

At the wall:
    Name:  IMG_20200713_075932_tn.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  44.8 KB

Shot broken, at full overtravel:
    Name:  IMG_20200713_075950_tn.jpg
Views: 3011
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by Sig_Fiend; 07-13-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify measurement error margin.

Thanks for the detailed report-interesting. I guess my question is, "Do you think the benefits significantly outweigh that you've presumably toasted your HK warranty?"

It sounds like the break occurs when the blade reached the vertical position, so is the additional rearward movement depicted in your images represent over-travel?

Best, Jon

Jon, on your second question, that's correct. That last picture shows the trigger at full over travel. It's probably just 1-2mm from the breaking point. It's very short, and seems shorter than stock, though I have not taken that measurement.

To your first question, I wouldn't want to make any claim as to any significant benefits between this trigger vs. OEM. I haven't even shot it with this trigger yet. For myself, personally, I look at it as more of an aesthetic/ergonomic exercise. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. Worst case, I can always go back to stock. I just generally find the process fun. I'm the type of guy whose cars can never remain entirely stock.

As far as warranties, I'm well past that at this point. Some might think I'm dumb but, I do all the work myself and I honestly don't care much about or even think about warranties. I trust the brand, and I have a good degree of confidence in GGI. Worst case, I don't mind eating the cost of my own mistakes.

As an aside, I just took some measurements with my digital Lyman gauge. The current setup is averaging right at 4lbs 9oz, which is exactly what it measured previously with the 4.1ch and GGI short reset kit. So no significant change in pull weight either, which was neither claimed by GGI nor expected by me, but figured I would mention it for anyone wondering. The three claims made by GGI for this trigger are:

• Reduces gross over-travel allowing for shorter reset
    • Straight face for improved finger placement
    • Vertical, 90-degree wall for an optimal trigger break

By my measurements, the trigger meets those claims. They also say that, due to the shape of the trigger, you can get lower on the trigger. So, better leverage = possibly a lighter feel even though the overall pull weight won't change. I find that to be the case, and the trigger does feel ever so slightly "smoother". Maybe it's to do with the increased rigidity versus the stock polymerized trigger, I don't know.

Great input-many thanks. I doubt that I'll personally go that route-I'm pleased with the OEM trigger-but I appreciate what you did and how you shared your information and input. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you've got some rounds through it.

Best, Jon

Some guy posted a video about the trigger in his DA/SA P30L:

@Sig_Fiend I have a short, slide release lever from HK; I see you have the ‘extremely short’ model

User Tag List