Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I love South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    SD born and raised. Lived there for 25 years before I left for the military. It is on the short list of places I may retire to as well. Sad note, I'm East River (Sioux Falls, baby!), so I've never been further west than Pierre so I still need to visit Mt. Rushmore one day.
    You must make the trip to Rushmore! Our folks took us in the late 60s (I'm in the middle) and my wife and I took our kids about ten years ago. I grew up a stone's throw from you in Hawarden, Iowa.Name:  FB_IMG_1593860726782.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  54.1 KB

I love SD too. However, I'll point out that I've never been there in winter. Winter might be a bit too much for me there.

Rosco

What I Mostly Remember...

...and the badlands.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

...and the badlands.
    As a kid, Mt. Rushmore was kind of a let down. The Badlands, buffalo at Custer State Park, going through Wind Cave, now that stuff I remember clearly.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    As a kid, Mt. Rushmore was kind of a let down. The Badlands, buffalo at Custer State Park, going through Wind Cave, now that stuff I remember clearly.
    During my one and only trip to Mt. Rushmore I remember thinking, "Well, I don't need to see that again."
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    During my one and only trip to Mt. Rushmore I remember thinking, "Well, I don't need to see that again."
    Yeah, you're really pretty far from it as I recall. Worse yet, though, was the Crazy Horse Memorial (which I guess no one is protesting). At the time, it was hard to distinguish whether it was a sculpture in progress or a road project.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Yeah, you're really pretty far from it as I recall. Worse yet, though, was the Crazy Horse Memorial (which I guess no one is protesting). At the time, it was hard to distinguish whether it was a sculpture in progress or a road project.
    Even though it's off the beaten path and nothing particularly visually spectacular, I was moved by the memorial at the scene of the Fetterman Massacre in WY, having read histories of the event.

There's nothing civil about this war.

I was at Rushmore as a 12 year-old and again in my 50s.

The last trip before our oldest son left home for school was
    west and included Mt. Rushmore. Much more built on the
    last trip. I enjoyed both trips and hope to get back again.

The last time I lined up to push down a plunger and "explode"
    chunks of the mountain off on a display about the sculpturing of
    the faces. All the dad's and sons got a big kick out of it. Mom's
    and daughters not so much.

We were there at different times on successive days. The
    way the sunlight moved over the mountain/faces was an interesting
    thing to see.

Site Supporter
    The Badlands, buffalo at Custer State Park, going through Wind Cave, now that stuff I remember clearly.
    Everyone should see the Badlands if they get the chance. That area is really something.

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    SD born and raised. Lived there for 25 years before I left for the military. It is on the short list of places I may retire to as well. Sad note, I'm East River (Sioux Falls, baby!), so I've never been further west than Pierre so I still need to visit Mt. Rushmore one day.
    Lately, I'm not really sure that Sioux Falls qualifies as South Dakota any longer. It's more like Seattle-Lite and running hard to catch up.

We definitely have the best Governor in the USA though. She's awesome. I want her for President!

Cat

User Tag List