Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick RFI:Ruger AR556 Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Some people gave their general thoughts on Ruger ARs in the “Making do with Subpar ARs” thread I started. My standard AR556 has over 3000 rounds with no issues that I didn’t cause myself. I’d agree just based on recoil that the gas port is a tad large, but I’ve also experienced worse (the Stag lower I got rid of). The staking is an issue. I’m going to keep mine and replace the BCG at some point. Based on my sample of one and the fact that you know what you’re getting I don’t see a problem with your plan. My statements in the other thread aside, I wouldn’t turn down an in person sale of an AR in this tier for an attractive price, especially if it can serve a useful purpose until I replace it with something else.
    Yup, and if it does not have the correct Grade 8 fasteners on the carrier key, that's easy to remediate as well. Robb Jensen taught me how years ago. A lot of people use the cheaper YFS fasteners ( which should stand for You F**king Suck). They are cheaper steel which is not as resistant to the corrosive effects of hot gas, and lack the small teeth at the bottom of the fastener that grip the material on the top of the carrier.

Just remember the spec is inch-pounds of torque, not foot-pounds.

If you need some fasteners, just let me know, I'll mail you some of the correct ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    No one has run Ruger stuff hard but it is automatically second tier or something.

Ruger has a fantastic warranty department and will stand behind their shiz. If the price is right and even if you decide to replace with hipster AR it would still be a great "trunk gun".

Parts can be upgraded.

Would buy that long before a Taurus AR. (Full disclosure I have never owned a taurus but peeps I know have had problems with warranty with them YMMV).

It is only a good value if it doesn't need a bunch of coin to make it how you want it. If that is the case then building is more efficient.

Yup, I saw that bit on the Taurus AR's. That's going to be fun to watch.

And with the right set of tools, a few parts and knowledge, it's not hard to fix most issues. An aluminum gas block can be replaced, and you might be able to use an adjustable gas block to get around excessive port size.

Honestly, I'd just shoot the pee of out the barrel until it wears out, then replace it with a known good unit. We did that on a buddy's Shrubmaster. He shot a lot of steel Wolf range chow, and I got him a good deal on a used Colt 6720 barrel that he's still using. I'd replace the gas tube at the same time, it's less than 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I take it you don't have an AR pistol at the moment, is that correct? If that's the case, in these uncertain times I would pick it up to get you by until you can source what you're really wanting.
    This is my thought as well. If you need an AR pistol due to the uncertain times, you have to make due with what's available. Will this Ruger hold up to a large round count? Who knows. But in these uncertain times, can you even source enough ammunition to put a gun through a large round count?

I'd get the Ruger if it's a deal and if it's actually available. Go over the gun and do any preemptive tweaking that you may feel the need to do. Set it up to your liking and test fire it. Down the road if and when things return to normal you can set up something more to your liking. But I'd rather have that Ruger in my hand now than wait for a BCM to become available a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    This is my thought as well. If you need an AR pistol due to the uncertain times, you have to make due with what's available. Will this Ruger hold up to a large round count? Who knows. But in these uncertain times, can you even source enough ammunition to put a gun through a large round count?

I'd get the Ruger if it's a deal and if it's actually available. Go over the gun and do any preemptive tweaking that you may feel the need to do. Set it up to your liking and test fire it. Down the road if and when things return to normal you can set up something more to your liking. But I'd rather have that Ruger in my hand now than wait for a BCM to become available a year from now.
    "A Ruger in the hand beats a BCM in the bush - Abraham Lincoln (probably)

I take it you don't have an AR pistol at the moment, is that correct? If that's the case, in these uncertain times I would pick it up to get you by until you can source what you're really wanting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

Yep , that's where I'm at. I was pretty convinced I didn't need one, so I was holding out for my heart of hearts, the PSA5. However, they keep dragging their feet on the release, and the times keep getting stranger by the minute.
    Not so worried about at home, but I have a shit ton of traveling to do between now and the rest of the year.

If it's still in the rack this afternoon. I'm just gonna grab it. If it ain't, I'm probably going to play canary in the coal mine and grab something from Veritas, https://veritastactical.com/vt15-duty-ready-75p/
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have that setup on an 11.5" 5.56 BCM pistol, and am building a 300 BLK with an 8" Wilson Combat barrel I scored off DVOR.

With the shorter 8" barrel I can fold it with the can on, and stuff it into an old non-descript Camelbak backpack. You looking to do the same thing?
    Yep, you and I seem to have pretty much the same project going, except your'e waaay ahead of me.
    That's what I get for waiting.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yep , that's where I'm at. I was pretty convinced I didn't need one, so I was holding out for my heart of hearts, the PSA5. However, they keep dragging their feet on the release, and the times keep getting stranger by the minute.
    Not so worried about at home, but I have a shit ton of traveling to do between now and the rest of the year.

If it's still in the rack this afternoon. I'm just gonna grab it. If it ain't, I'm probably going to play canary in the coal mine and grab something from Veritas, https://veritastactical.com/vt15-duty-ready-75p/
    Here's where I'll advise you to pump the brakes a bit. Ruger isn't known for their ARs, but they're a well known company with a good warranty, hence the recommendation to go ahead and pick it up.

I've never even heard of Veritas Tactical.

Here's where I'll advise you to pump the brakes a bit. Ruger isn't known for their ARs, but they're a well known company with a good warranty, hence the recommendation to go ahead and pick it up.

Yeah, Recoil magazine did a write up on there 4.5" PDW, but, again, Recoil magazine.
    Ruger is tops on my list, cause I can go paws on right now, I think. I haven't been able to sneak out of here yet.
    Maybe I just need to take a deep breath and engage my brain.

Nice job on the avatar pic, love the "WeFest" theme.

I have, but no personal experience. Also a member here.

@Veritas

Posted some test results on short barrel 5.56 in the giant PDW thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1025781

If the goal is a back-pack gun for the short-term to be replaced in the long-term by something higher quality. I think you'd do a lot worse than the Ruger. It has to get through however many rounds it takes for you to sight it in and familiarize yourself with it + the number of rounds you're carrying with you. /End

Presumably, you aren't going to run out and take a carbine course with this gun or plan to hammer through 6-cases of green tip...so I suspect you'll be okay, overall.

User Tag List