Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick RFI:Ruger AR556 Pistol

Quick RFI:Ruger AR556 Pistol

Got offered one at a really good price (new), but wondering if anyone here has any time on one.
    I realize it's not KAC or BCM, but is it decent?
    It will probably be a place holder, until something I really want comes back in stock. Then I can just strip the optics and light and such, and probably flip it come November.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556...eets/8570.html
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

A coworker bought one with the flag treatment. It seems to run ok but I doubt that he’s run it very hard.

Double-check the staking on the BCG. If you need a MOACKS, let me know. I am not a huge fan of the 9130 over a Carpenter 159 bolt, but that is the purist in me. Ruger does it to save money, and we have all likely seen a lot worse.

The two Ruger AR's that I checked were a wee bit large on the gas port size for a carbine gas system. I have a set of pin gauges and will check them when I tear one down.

I think the plan to have one and then flip it is not a bad idea, especially if you got it for a really good price. It's honestly a seller's market right now.

If you have a set of chamber gauges, I'd be interested in what those say. It likely does not need one of Ned Christensen's chamber reamers, but you never know.

Does it have the SBA3 brace? That's a nice piece, especially with a LAW folding adapter.

If it’s a good price, we can make it work if it has problems.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Double-check the staking on the BCG. If you need a MOACKS, let me know. I am not a huge fan of the 9130 over a Carpenter 159 bolt, but that is the purist in me. Ruger does it to save money, and we have all likely seen a lot worse.

The two Ruger AR's that I checked were a wee bit large on the gas port size for a carbine gas system. I have a set of pin gauges and will check them when I tear one down.

I think the plan to have one and then flip it is not a bad idea, especially if you got it for a really good price. It's honestly a seller's market right now.

If you have a set of chamber gauges, I'd be interested in what those say. It likely does not need one of Ned Christensen's chamber reamers, but you never know.

Does it have the SBA3 brace? That's a nice piece, especially with a LAW folding adapter.
    Thanks for the offer of the use of the MOACKS, I surely appreciate it.
    It does have the SBA3, and the LAW folder is exactly what I was thinking.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Thanks for the offer of the use of the MOACKS, I surely appreciate it.
    It does have the SBA3, and the LAW folder is exactly what I was thinking.
    I have that setup on an 11.5" 5.56 BCM pistol, and am building a 300 BLK with an 8" Wilson Combat barrel I scored off DVOR.

With the shorter 8" barrel I can fold it with the can on, and stuff it into an old non-descript Camelbak backpack. You looking to do the same thing?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If it’s a good price, we can make it work if it has problems.
    That was my thought. Just because it's not a top shelf model doesn't mean it'll immediately self-destruct.

Chris

Some people gave their general thoughts on Ruger ARs in the “Making do with Subpar ARs” thread I started. My standard AR556 has over 3000 rounds with no issues that I didn’t cause myself. I’d agree just based on recoil that the gas port is a tad large, but I’ve also experienced worse (the Stag lower I got rid of). The staking is an issue. I’m going to keep mine and replace the BCG at some point. Based on my sample of one and the fact that you know what you’re getting I don’t see a problem with your plan. My statements in the other thread aside, I wouldn’t turn down an in person sale of an AR in this tier for an attractive price, especially if it can serve a useful purpose until I replace it with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Got offered one at a really good price (new), but wondering if anyone here has any time on one.
    I realize it's not KAC or BCM, but is it decent?
    It will probably be a place holder, until something I really want comes back in stock. Then I can just strip the optics and light and such, and probably flip it come November.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556...eets/8570.html
    I take it you don't have an AR pistol at the moment, is that correct? If that's the case, in these uncertain times I would pick it up to get you by until you can source what you're really wanting.

No one has run Ruger stuff hard but it is automatically second tier or something.

Ruger has a fantastic warranty department and will stand behind their shiz. If the price is right and even if you decide to replace with hipster AR it would still be a great "trunk gun".

Parts can be upgraded.

Would buy that long before a Taurus AR. (Full disclosure I have never owned a taurus but peeps I know have had problems with warranty with them YMMV).

It is only a good value if it doesn't need a bunch of coin to make it how you want it. If that is the case then building is more efficient.

User Tag List