Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock .40 Pistols.

Good info. I've heard people like Kyle Lamb espouse that Glock .40s are "unreliable" yet you still see gazillions of them in LEO hands. It is important for there to be a proper perspective in those statements. If it means that I my G22 is going to fail me at the 10,000 round mark (just making up a number) then that is different than saying that my brand new G22 may fail during the first magazine full of rounds. With that said, I did get rid of my G23 because I did have a few occasions of the slide "outrunning" the magazine when the mag springs got a little age on them. Just haven't had that issue with my G22 yet.

In me stating that I've shot over 1k rounds may not mean much to other shooters, but to most LEOs I know, that is a lifetime of shooting. For many I know, their sidearm is more likely to fail due to the lube drying out and/or lint accumulation rather to the "unreliability" of the design. They're just not avid shooters.

Not trying to defend Glock, just trying to understand the facts. Been a Beretta guy for many years and have heard all the horror stories of broken locking blocks. My M9 does have somewhere around 5k rounds, mainly +p loaded 124g, on it and the locking block shows no issues. However, I do routinely replace the RS.

In regards to holsters, I did own a Gen 5 G17 and it would not fit the Safariland holster the Gen 4 used when I attached the WML.

I do appreciate the .40 S&W and will be interested in the Gen5 version come this fall.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    Good info. I've heard people like Kyle Lamb espouse that Glock .40s are "unreliable" yet you still see gazillions of them in LEO hands. It is important for there to be a proper perspective in those statements. If it means that I my G22 is going to fail me at the 10,000 round mark (just making up a number) then that is different than saying that my brand new G22 may fail during the first magazine full of rounds. With that said, I did get rid of my G23 because I did have a few occasions of the slide "outrunning" the magazine when the mag springs got a little age on them. Just haven't had that issue with my G22 yet.

In me stating that I've shot over 1k rounds may not mean much to other shooters, but to most LEOs I know, that is a lifetime of shooting. For many I know, their sidearm is more likely to fail due to the lube drying out and/or lint accumulation rather to the "unreliability" of the design. They're just not avid shooters.

Not trying to defend Glock, just trying to understand the facts. Been a Beretta guy for many years and have heard all the horror stories of broken locking blocks. My M9 does have somewhere around 5k rounds, mainly +p loaded 124g, on it and the locking block shows no issues. However, I do routinely replace the RS.

In regards to holsters, I did own a Gen 5 G17 and it would not fit the Safariland holster the Gen 4 used when I attached the WML.

I do appreciate the .40 S&W and will be interested in the Gen5 version come this fall.
    My Officers average 1,000 rounds a year and it is inadequate. I work with an LEO whose dept shoots 100 rounds a year. IMHO that is criminal negligence but that is another topic.

The fact you see many .40 Glocks in LE hands is not necessarily an indication of quality. The .40 Glocks failed the 2004 DHS pistol trials and the INS/Border Patrol trials of the mid 90s. The standards of today exceed the standards of the 90s.

The ubiquity of the Glock .40 in LE lies in a few factors.

The state of 1980s and 1990s bullet performance.

It's adoption by the FBI and the FBI's influence on other agencies, especially state and local LE management via the FBI's national academy. The FBI's adoption of the .40 itself was influenced by 1990s bullet technology and the politics of asking congress for 9mm pistols after blaming 9mm failures for the 1986 Miami shooting.

Another factor was the 1994 assault weapons ban. Glock made a lot of money trading new post ban/ LE only .40s for pre ban 9mms with valuable pre ban magazines for re-sale.

Re: neglect:

Glocks, like most polymer pistols run with minimal lubrication and are more tolerant of neglect than all metal pistols.

One factor in 9mm vs .40 Glock performance is simply that guns tend to run best in their original calibers. Most of the guns that have been reliable in .40 were either designed from the ground up for .40 or were substantially re-designed such as SIG's switch from folded 2 piece slides with pinned breech blocks to one piece slides.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-04-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Also, to add on to HCM's post for why Glocks are so popular in LE, you can replace them every five years like you replace worn holsters for about $100 per gun. You don't really have to worry about long term maintenance and malfunctions if you just trade in all your pistols every five years and get new ones. That may not work for large agencies, but for 100 officer and less agencies, it saves a lot of headaches. In fact, the new holsters will cost more than new pistols, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post

If the GEN5 .40s are the same configuration as the Brazilian models we've seen (and I do expect they would be), I imagine new holsters would be required, considering the dimensional difference of the slide.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Needing a different holster than previous Generation 40’s sure isn’t going to help it’s popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Needing a different holster than previous Generation 40’s sure isn’t going to help it’s popularity.
    I like the bigger dimensions and might actually buy a Glock 40. They are beefed up and heavier and should hold up well and also shoot nicer due to the weight and heavier slide mass.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    I like the bigger dimensions and might actually buy a Glock 40. They are beefed up and heavier and should hold up well and also shoot nicer due to the weight and heavier slide mass.
    I agree with this — while I value holster compatibility, I would give that up for a pistol designed for the .40 cartridge.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree with this — while I value holster compatibility, I would give that up for a pistol designed for the .40 cartridge.
    Same. I would rather the larger slide.

same again

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Totally agree. In the overall scheme of things, a new holster simply isn't all that big of a deal, from my standpoint as an individual. For an organization, it's a much bigger deal, but these days, I just don't see organizations likely to make a resurgance towards .40.

I see the .40 as moving towards a more specialized, and commercial niche-particularly as a wilderness defense platform/cartridge.

GJM's thread on Underwood Lehigh ammunition is invaluable on this.

Best, Jon

User Tag List