Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock .40 Pistols.

Gen 5 Glock .40 Pistols.

The Gen 5 Glock .40 Pistols will be available October 2020.

End Of An Era: No More GLOCK Gen4 Guns; .40S&W Will Go Gen5
    In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development.
    Last edited by JBP55; 07-03-2020 at 04:50 PM.

As apparently the last person on earth that likes the .40 (and even I'm transitioning to 9mm, mostly due to ammo pricing), I'm truly surprised by this news. There must still be more police contracts for .40 than I realized. Am I alone in thinking that the .45 Gen 5s would be out before the .40s?

That being said, it will be interesting to see if this has an effect on .40 popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    There must still be more police contracts for .40 than I realized. Am I alone in thinking that the .45 Gen 5s would be out before the .40s?
    Several years ago Glock submitted Gen5 .40 S&W guns for evaluation to the São Paulo, Brazil state police. I don’t know if the pistols were ever produced in large contract numbers but I remember seeing photos of the guns as early as 2018. They had heavier slides than the normal .40 Glocks. I’m just surprised it took this long to release them in the USA. Probably because the .40 is dying and many of the agencies looking to buy new guns weren’t looking at new .40s. They probably stood to make a lot more money by concentrating production on 9mm guns. I think the interest in updated .45 ACP guns is probably smaller than the interest in .40 guns when talking about LE and Mil contracts. I wasn’t expecting Gen5 .45s until practically everyone who wanted a 9mm or a .40 owned one. If Glock did release a Gen5 G21, I’d purchase one though. I had always liked the G21-SF I was issued.

ETA: I sure did use the word probably a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Several years ago Glock submitted Gen5 .40 S&W guns for evaluation to the São Paulo, Brazil state police. I don’t know if the pistols were ever produced in large contract numbers but I remember seeing photos of the guns as early as 2018. They had heavier slides than the normal .40 Glocks. I’m just surprised it took this long to release them in the USA. Probably because the .40 is dying and many of the agencies looking to buy new guns weren’t looking at new .40s. They probably stood to make a lot more money by concentrating production on 9mm guns. I think the interest in updated .45 ACP guns is probably smaller than the interest in .40 guns when talking about LE and Mil contracts. I wasn’t expecting Gen5 .45s until practically everyone who wanted a 9mm or a .40 owned one. If Glock did release a Gen5 G21, I’d purchase one though. I had always liked the G21-SF I was issued.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

The Brazilians bought 15,000 or so.

They can quit making 40 as far as I’m concerned. But they need to get Gen 5 guns in 10mm and 45 Auto to market.

When I saw this thread, this is what I was expecting:

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    End Of An Era: No More GLOCK .40 Guns
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Brazilians bought 15,000 or so.
    Definitely not a small contract. Do you know if any other large foreign organizations are using this gun?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Do we know if the Gen 5 .40 released here will have the beefed up slide as with the Brazilian contract guns? I don't have much use for .40s, but it might be good to have one for when 9mm is out of stock everywhere and .40 still on shelves.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Do we know if the Gen 5 .40 released here will have the beefed up slide as with the Brazilian contract guns? I don't have much use for .40s, but it might be good to have one for when 9mm is out of stock everywhere and .40 still on shelves.
    No - already discussed in the other thread re discontinuation of the Gen 4s.

User Tag List