Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 14 4" versus Model 15 4"

S&W Model 14 4" versus Model 15 4"

Stumbled across a Model 14 with a factory 4" barrel (it has a Jinks Letter confirming it). Front sight is not a Patridge and look like a Baughman ramp same as a 15. Hard to judge in photos but the barrel is maybe heavier profile than a 15? Then again maybe not. Anyone know what the difference is compared to a 4" Model 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Stumbled across a Model 14 with a factory 4" barrel (it has a Jinks Letter confirming it). Front sight is not a Patridge and look like a Baughman ramp same as a 15. Hard to judge in photos but the barrel is maybe heavier profile than a 15? Then again maybe not. Anyone know what the difference is compared to a 4" Model 15?
    Search threads here for Hanen or Dayton Special. Compare the pics. You may have what many of us think is the Holy Grail of Model 14’s.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Pic of factory 4” Model 14

Name:  4E4967E5-8396-4577-BAB0-24F900FB89A1.jpeg
Views: 950
Size:  38.2 KB

I have a custom Model 14 where a M10 heavy barrel was installed with a Patridge front:

Name:  7F163B58-10A3-42FF-BA93-8918A2D6E89B.jpeg
Views: 872
Size:  61.3 KB

Pic of 4" Model 14 compared with a Hanen Special on the right:

Name:  IMG_5977.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by LtDave; 07-03-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Name:  4E4967E5-8396-4577-BAB0-24F900FB89A1.jpeg
Views: 950
Size:  38.2 KB

I have a custom Model 14 where a M10 heavy barrel was installed with a Patridge front:

Name:  7F163B58-10A3-42FF-BA93-8918A2D6E89B.jpeg
Views: 872
Size:  61.3 KB

Pic of 4" Model 14 compared with a Hanen Special on the right:

Name:  IMG_5977.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  35.7 KB
    Remind me, which Commandment covers "coveting thy fellow forum members revolver"?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    The M14 would have had a heavier barrel than the pre M15-5s. With the M15-5s they went with the same frame as the M14 and gave it the heavier barrel from the 14. The M14 Hanen was different as shown in that pic.
    Adam

Having done a bit of googling now, it's not a Hanen. Looks like it's a maybe rarer but not as desirable 4" variation. Smith apparantly made a run of about 100 in 1971 with a 6" Model 14 barrel cut down to 4" and installed with the ramp sight. They shipped them to 3 distributors. So straight walled and heavier barreled than the medium taper barrel of a 15 but not as heavy barreled as a Hanen. They also have the grooved sight rib unlike the Hanen. Explains the pricing being really good for a Hanen: it's not a Hanen :-) Still kind of interested it in it though. We'll see.

ETA: pretty much what Lt Dave was showing in his photo I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Having done a bit of googling now, it's not a Hanen. Looks like it's a maybe rarer but not as desirable 4" variation. Smith apparantly made a run of about 100 in 1971 with a 6" Model 14 barrel cut down to 4" and installed with the ramp sight. They shipped them to 3 distributors. So straight walled and heavier barreled than the medium taper barrel of a 15 but not as heavy barreled as a Hanen. They also have the grooved sight rib unlike the Hanen. Explains the pricing being really good for a Hanen: it's not a Hanen :-) Still kind of interested it in it though. We'll see.

ETA: pretty much what Lt Dave was showing in his photo I think!
    The really neat ones are the 5” guns they did for the Illinois State Police. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture on this iPad.

The really neat ones are the 5” guns they did for the Illinois State Police. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture on this iPad.
    Those sound cool! My favorite revolver barrel length...

ISP 5" K-38

Here's a picture of one:

Name:  5inK38Masterpieceanddoormat015.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  74.5 KB

Here's a picture of one:

Name:  5inK38Masterpieceanddoormat015.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  74.5 KB
    That could probably seriously damage my wallet!

User Tag List