Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    ID/CCW permit goes in the other.
    This brings up a good point - if you're going to carry a gun while biking, you also need to be carrying ID + permit. I personally prefer to leave my wallet at home while biking, so if I was to start carrying a gun while biking, I'd actually need to increase the amount of gear on my person by more than just the gun/holster/etc. (I do wear a RoadID so if I end up in the hospital for some reason, they know my name, blood type, my one medication allergy, and have my wife's phone #.)

I wanna see the roadies here post videos of moving on concrete in shoes with cleats and shooting a gun.

Bonus points for anyone doing it with old Time cleats made of metal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I wanna see the roadies here post videos of moving on concrete in shoes with cleats and shooting a gun.

Polished concrete or linoleum, like at the coffee shop where you stopped for breakfast.

There also seem to be some people in the thread who don’t have experience with the differences between riding a bike vs riding a road bike in full bibs jersey etc. ie being a roadie

Fwiw back when I worked in a shop and rode on a regular basis I never carried anything more than a folder clipped to the waist of my shorts. I did like the idea of something like an lcp in a jersey pocket, but never bothered to buy one since they didn’t exist at the time and I’d had a negative experience with a Kel Tek p11.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I can walk in my bike shoes (Shimano SPD cleats), but I wouldn't want to attempt to run - the cleats are very much made for the specific purpose of interfacing with pedals, and are awkward at best for anything else. It's truly odd operating the clutch with them on when moving my car in and out of the garage in order to access my bike. Shooting? I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would feel weird at best.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I can walk in my bike shoes (Shimano SPD cleats), but I wouldn't want to attempt to run - the cleats are very much made for the specific purpose of interfacing with pedals, and are awkward at best for anything else. It's truly odd operating the clutch with them on when moving my car in and out of the garage in order to access my bike. Shooting? I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would feel weird at best.
    SPD or or SPD-SL?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Polished concrete or linoleum, like at the coffee shop where you stopped for breakfast.

There also seem to be some people in the thread who don’t have experience with the differences between riding a bike vs riding a road bike in full bibs jersey etc. ie being a roadie

Fwiw back when I worked in a shop and rode on a regular basis I never carried anything more than a folder clipped to the waist of my shorts. I did like the idea of something like an lcp in a jersey pocket, but never bothered to buy one since they didn’t exist at the time and I’d had a negative experience with a Kel Tek p11.

I can't imagine a roadie walking into any of the shops I've worked wearing lycra and a Hill People pack and me not thinking "GUN!" and my colleagues raising an eyebrow and stifling a laugh.

SPD or or SPD-SL?

IIRC just the basic SPD, but it would probably be whichever one is cheaper - shoes + pedals were something like $150 when I finally upgraded from riding with regular shoes and the pedals with the straps that came with the bike. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember more specifically than that, sorry.

Site Supporter

You're a sick puppy.

SPD or or SPD-SL?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    IIRC just the basic SPD, but it would probably be whichever one is cheaper - shoes + pedals were something like $150 when I finally upgraded from riding with regular shoes and the pedals with the straps that came with the bike. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember more specifically than that, sorry.
    SPD are the small cleats used on MTB and touring shoes. SPD-SL are the big-ass cleats used on road shoes with Shimano pedals.

Site Supporter
    I don't carry folders on my body for the same reason mentioned above. BTW, "yard sale", that's a new one to me.

Pepper spray, especially the little POM units, ride nicely in the waistband of bike shorts (and running shorts for that matter).

Top Tube Bags: Only for snacks. Before I got the Revelate bag I linked to above, I tried a TT bag for my phone, but gave it up after hearing my phone bouncing against the top tube on rough pavement. It's more secure and will hold a bigger gat.

Cleats: SPD all the way. While I do ride on the road, I don't "identify" as a roadie, so I use the same shoes and pedal systems on my mountain bike and road bike for simplicity's sake. Even when I had a fixie, I used SPDs.

RoadID: Yes! I use mine for running and biking. I only carry my wallet if I'm packing heat or expect to need money. If I'm just going for a ride, I rely on the RoadID.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    SPD are the small cleats used on MTB and touring shoes. SPD-SL are the big-ass cleats used on road shoes with Shimano pedals.
    I think that makes mine SPD:

Name:  SPD?.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  85.1 KB

User Tag List