Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Hammertime
    For a road bike, a belly band and lightweight gun would be the answer. Or wear a sturdy belt with OWB holster directly on skin over bibs but under jersey.

For a Mountain Bike: I like to wear a hydration pack and use a Safepacker secured to the belt and strap. It is subtle, secure, safe, and slow to draw. But not as slow as you might think.

I am wearing the Safepacker with G17 in this video.

The terrain is difficult and it carries well. A G26 carries even better and is hard to see. Visible in this photo:

Name:  675E95D7-A8FA-4844-800E-277BA38D8DEB.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  70.5 KB

I can’t AIWB on any bike because my balls get crushed. Some people find a way to do this.

Top tube bag, G42 blue gun
    Name:  9ED81FD3-2488-47F3-8EE3-2FE317AAD3AB.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  42.3 KB
    Name:  68CD7D96-B653-40E8-AE22-388B8F704534.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  39.3 KBName:  0EC69032-80C7-42FC-AEDE-E565A8E336C3.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  59.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    anything over recovery pace means I'm sweat-soaked at the end of the ride; even my 642 would suffer from that.
    Yeah, what I've found with my Walthers and sweat is that they do just fine with it, even carried IWB in 95F+, *except* the mags. I've never seen rust anywhere on the slide or internals, but the little gap between the baseplate and the frame of the gun, and especially the side of my spare mag that's toward my body tends to get a small patch of rust going, and if any sweat runs down inside the mag carrier, significant rust can happen. It's more annoying than something I'm actually worried about, but if I was going to be doing that type of carry regularly, I might be interested in trying to get the mag bodies coated in something particularly rust-resistant. How does NP3 or whatever it's called do in that regard?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Has anyone tried to carry a J frame on a road bike? I'm thinking a pocket holster might work for that too. Another concern is that here in south LA, half the year anything over recovery pace means I'm sweat-soaked at the end of the ride; even my 642 would suffer from that.
    If I had to fall and land on a gun I would rather it be a flat auto and not the cylinder of a revolver.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

[FS 29er MTB / HK LEM pistols]

The Top Tube bag looks cool, but if I get separated from the bike, no bueno!

If I take a spill and land on my front while AIWB, something in the pelvic region is going to get broke.

In the Camelbak with a Kydex trigger guard (Dale Frick "Zacchaeus"). Slow deployment but safe and secure.

I'm going to test the Blue Force Gear pocket holster and DeSantis Nemesis.

I'm a loyal fan of Tenicor/Darkstar/Phlster so the standards are very high.

I personally wouldn't use a top tube bag. On longer rides I would stop to go to the bathroom or sometimes stop at a store for more fuel. Often the bathroom is a porta-potty at a construction site, which probably wouldn't be a big deal, but it still makes me nervous to be separated from my gun. It's one thing to have a bike stolen (which should be punished as they used to punish horse thieves) but I'd feel bad about having one of my guns stolen.

Also - If I were to get into some sort of encounter, probably the first thing I'd do is dismount. Otherwise one of the first things an aggressor would do is grab the handlebars or rear wheel, and from there he could easily imbalance or control me. Once I dismount, I'm not sure what I'd do about the bike - Use it as a barrier? Drop it and walk to created distance? I don't know. And what if the situation deescalates and I don't have to draw? If the gun is in the TT bag and you dismount, you have to make a decision on whether or not to draw, and maybe the aggressor just wants to berate you for being on his road and once he has shot his wad he'll get on his way. But to each their own. One of the bike stores I bought one of my bikes from had an employee bike in the shop with a cowhide holster attached to the top tube. I was told it was a for a .22 revolver of some sort. Not sure if that was true or just a prop.

As far as the sweat goes - When I used to ride a lot this time of year I'd be pretty soaked by the end of a ride. The pocket holster provides some protection, but maybe once a month I'd strip it down, wipe it off, and leave it on the kitchen counter to dry. I sort of consider that gun to be a wear item anyway. It works fine and I take care of my stuff, but on the other hand, if it were to get damaged from corrosion, I'll just go out and buy another one for $300.

Site Supporter
    My solution for any exercise, including biking, has been a fanny pack. Not only does it provide protection from sweat, but it also provides a place for my wallet, keys, and phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    My days of cycling were long ago and I never carried a gun but I always had folding knives clipped to my jersey or shorts. After two crashes that resulted in yard sales and me lying next to an open folding knife, I started placing the knife in the hydration pack.

I would consider the forces and the tumbling we would not encounter in everyday CCW.

A Hillpeople Gear bag on a road bike would look extra weird.

A gun inside a bag with quicker access to some pepper spray - Bears and Dogs would be a path I would investigate.

Site Supporter
    I bike regularly and carry a J frame in a cheap fanny pack I bought at REI. This fanny pack has two compartments. The J frame goes in one compartment and my phone, extra battery for my headlamp, and ID/CCW permit goes in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List