Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Funny that you mention this. I was just discussing it with a friend. I don't think I've had a crazy number of dangerous encounters, but when I think about it maybe I have? My wife and I like to explore remote trails in uninhabited areas, which explains the triple cougar encounter. And there's nothing out of the ordinary about running into bears on a trail in Montana? Camping and 4 wheeling in the boondocks does lend itself to running into some interesting folks... Mountain biking 1000's of miles on wilderness single track: surely it's not surprising that I might come close to rear-ending a bear or have some asshole send his dogs after me? Portland and Salem are full of aggro homeless and sketchy tweakers, so there's that. Then there was the 2am home invasion... Anyway, I've resolved all of these encounters peacefully so that's a win!
    I was thinking more about the aggro homeless folks, tweakers, and home invaders. Animals in the wilderness are to be expected.

I spend a lot of time in the Appalachians of Virginia and West Virginia (hunting, hiking, camping, mountain biking. 4x4ing). While you're never too far from civilization, some of those hollars can feel awful isolated. I live in one of the shittier cities in the Northern Virginia area on top of that. I'm not going to claim any special MUC skills. Most folks I run into are cool, maybe I'm the "tard whisperer".

But yeah, any encounter peacefully resolved is a win. I just prefer to have fewer encounters.

Chris

I started tossing my pocket IFAK and a J frame in a buttbag after having to take enforcement action in the middle of a ride years ago...it’s nice to have at least something handy.

Site Supporter
    I've been trying different options for carrying while running, biking and occasional to and from the gym . Normally I just carry with my normal gun and holster with lite weight shorts that have belt loops. It works for all but technical mountain biking where coming off the bike is likely.

I'm probably going to pick up one of the Hill People Gear waist packs that @03RN has in the below thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tus-fanny-pack

It will be nice to be able to also keep some small medical items on my person in addition to the gun.

For road riding, I found the best options was a Ruger LCP in some sort of pocket holster. I'd put it in my right jersey pocket, and if oriented properly, I could get to it reasonably fast. It became just another piece of kit back there - Clif bar and gel in left pocket, tube and phone in center pocket, gun in right pocket.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone tried to carry a J frame on a road bike? I'm thinking a pocket holster might work for that too. Another concern is that here in south LA, half the year anything over recovery pace means I'm sweat-soaked at the end of the ride; even my 642 would suffer from that.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    For road riding, I found the best options was a Ruger LCP in some sort of pocket holster. I'd put it in my right jersey pocket, and if oriented properly, I could get to it reasonably fast. It became just another piece of kit back there - Clif bar and gel in left pocket, tube and phone in center pocket, gun in right pocket.
    Do you have a pocket holster you can recommend? I think this is probably the best route.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Has anyone tried to carry a J frame on a road bike? I'm thinking a pocket holster might work for that too. Another concern is that here in south LA, half the year anything over recovery pace means I'm sweat-soaked at the end of the ride; even my 642 would suffer from that.
    I used to carry a 642. It worked ok, but sometimes when I finished a ride it seemed like the handle was on the verge of sticking out over the jersey pocket, and it seemed a bit bulky.

My wife has a belly-band thing she bought on Amazon that she uses to carry her phone and OC spray on a run. That should work for an LCP or a small revolver.

https://smile.amazon.com/Stashbandz-...dp/B0763TRFTD/
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Do you have a pocket holster you can recommend? I think this is probably the best route.
    It wasn't anything special - just some neoprene type material with some semi-sticky stuff on the outside so that the holster stays in your pocket if you have to draw. I think I use this one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016599999

Put in your right pocket, with the butt pointing to the right. It's not too hard to grab.

I just checked, and I could fit a G42 in one of my top tube bags. That’s an easy place to access. They’re still not that common for roadies, but with all the marketing for “gravel” They’re becoming more common. I use mine mostly for food so it doesn’t turn to warm mush in my jersey pockets.

https://banjobrothers.com/collection...tube-bag-large

You might want something just a bit bigger
    Last edited by peterb; 07-03-2020 at 04:30 PM.

User Tag List