Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Based on what I've read, yes. It was likened to the dimples on a golf ball in one article.

I'm so very happy I ride for the pleasure of it and am not compelled to eke out every last bit of performance. It's really getting silly and the ones that pursue it to that level look ever more ridiculous. I'm just not mentally cut out for peak performance.

Chris
    As the thread has drifted...

The Rules

As mentioned above, I am not a roadie. I have known people who lived by this sort of stuff way before it was written down (and then published in a book). Some of it makes me laugh, some of it cringe. Some of it is of course true. (Rule No 5).

I wonder if someone has compiled a similar set for shooting? Sounds like a job for the Doodie Project.

Site Supporter
    I think what happened with “The Rules” is that they were made up tongue in cheek and posted online, and others took them seriously. They actually castigate pro cyclists for not looking “pro” enough. I’m a Fred to them because when I do pre-dawn workouts on my bike, I use lights. In their view that ruins the whole ride.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Yes, they're great for reliability, but they ride like shit. They're heavy and the casing is so rigid the compliance of the tyre to the road is poor.
    I must not be at a high enough level to be able to tell. The old set I had years ago, I noticed a small speed penalty from the weight, but the new set I just put on this summer seem to ride just fine, at least for me. I haven't noticed any problems cornering on them or anything like that. I am in no way a competitive biker, though, so I'm not counting individual grams. My bike is 15 years old and the only piece of carbon fiber on it is the front fork. (Aluminum frame.) As @LittleLebowski would say, #poorfag or whatever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There’s various types of cyclists and I think it’s all cool. But training rides with bibs and full kit is a very specific thing.
    And yes if you ride, but haven’t been deep down the hole of cyclist culture that could be something easy to miss or dismiss as it were.

The best way I can describe it is that we would give very different advice to someone who was looking to carry at a formal event in an NPE vs someone who was looking for a solution to carrying while running errands and maybe hitting up a coffee shop in casual clothes. That’s the same situation we have here.

ETA: I’m not trying to offend anyone here, just trying to help bridge a bit of a cultural divide as a dude who was a rider and worked at shops full time for quite a few years.
    I understand what you are saying. However, the consequences for getting caught in what we typically call an NPE are job loss followed by multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost money.

While I understand complete conformity during a race, is complete conformity at the same priority level during a training ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I understand what you are saying. However, the consequences for getting caught in what we typically call an NPE are job loss followed by multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost money.

While I understand complete conformity during a race, is complete conformity at the same priority level during a training ride?

The consequences wouldn't be the same, but there could be some. Cycling tends to be a middle and upper-class sport, so cyclists as a type tend to lean left politically. If I were found to be armed on a ride here in south Louisiana, the discussion would be along the lines of "Cool, watcha carrying?" OTOH, in some place like Boulder, I would expect to be shunned and disinvited to any group rides.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I must not be at a high enough level to be able to tell. The old set I had years ago, I noticed a small speed penalty from the weight, but the new set I just put on this summer seem to ride just fine, at least for me. I haven't noticed any problems cornering on them or anything like that. I am in no way a competitive biker, though, so I'm not counting individual grams. My bike is 15 years old and the only piece of carbon fiber on it is the front fork. (Aluminum frame.) As @LittleLebowski would say, #poorfag or whatever.
    My post reads harsh or rude. Apologies.

Differences in tyres are subtle. There's been a lot of talk in the last few years debunking rolling resistance and knocking the 700*23 from it's pedestal. As a training tyre recommendation I'd default to Conti Gatorskins but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    My post reads harsh or rude. Apologies.

Differences in tyres are subtle. There's been a lot of talk in the last few years debunking rolling resistance and knocking the 700*23 from it's pedestal. As a training tyre recommendation I'd default to Conti Gatorskins but each to their own.
    I didn't take it to be super harsh, but I can see where my response might also have read as though I was irritated. That wasn't my intent - I merely meant to explain my personal experience. Apologies all around, apparently.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I think what happened with “The Rules” is that they were made up tongue in cheek and posted online, and others took them seriously. They actually castigate pro cyclists for not looking “pro” enough. I’m a Fred to them because when I do pre-dawn workouts on my bike, I use lights. In their view that ruins the whole ride.
    Like you, I also use front and rear lights when I ride in the dark. I just got back from a 20 mile ride, during which my front light helped me avoid six different people that were in the street, five of which were wearing dark clothing, and none of which had their own light. Whether we are talking about using the light or carrying a gun, at some point we need to do what we know is smart, regardless of what others may think.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

FWIW, I ride (MTB is my preference, but roadie tends to happen more) as much as I can, and around me (rhymes with "haltimore"), there is a lot of crossover between urban commuter types and hardcore roadie types, enough so that I see full kits on folding bikes and hydration packs/fanny packs on kitted up carbon wunderbike riders (with correct sock heights ). Most of the time we're more worried about that bus or that sketchy dude on the sidewalk to worry about what other folks are wearing. Granted, its basically a NPE state, at least for us non-sworn types, so its kind of a moot point in relation to this thread. I wear a mountainsmith fanny pack on most of my rides, dirt or road.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this lately as well. We are getting back into biking now that our kids are old enough to ride rail trails, greens and a few blues. I ordered the Osprey Savu pack from Amazon today. Looks like it will hold a 43X in a Vanguard. Not ideal, but may work. I also need to order the Vanguard but will wait until I receive the pack to determine if the lanyard attachment will work and if the pack can stabilize the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-...ey+savu&sr=8-3
    Any reviews or maybe loaded pics? I'm really interested in the Savu and could see it being useful for non-biking activities. I normally use more traditional hydration backpacks, but they aren't always convenient (gun stuff aside) when dressed for non-biking cold weather activities (hunting, hiking, etc).

Chris

User Tag List