Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I think that makes mine SPD:

Attachment 56850
    Definitely SPD.

Chris

Another Safepacker User

I have tended to using cycling shorts and trousers with belt loops, a belt, and a Safepacker. That was a reassuring choice, one day, when a road rager decided to tailgate me, and repeatedly lean on his horn, even though he had an entire left lane, with which to pass me, in light traffic conditions. (Chimney Rock Road, in the Westbury area of southwest Houston, Texas, so, populated, with “normal” folks.) I looked back, gave him That Look, Extended Version, and kept pedaling. He stopped using his horn, and did not look so brave when he got a clue, and used the left lane to get around me. (Most road ragers are cowards, but one does need to be careful out there.)

My pistol, that day, was the usual P229R DAK, same as I carried on duty, in the 2004-2015 time period.

I have several Safepackers, from The Wilderness, in AZ, from the Colt Mustang size, to Colt Government +1”. There is a fit guide on their site. I have been accumulating them for a number of years. The one I really should add is the Large-Grip Revolver, as my favorite handgun grip is the original-pattern GP100 grip. (I have tended to use the Colt Government-sized Safepacker for a 4” K-Frame or Ruger Speed Six with compact-sized grips, for a number of years.)

There have been some few times I decided to opt for the lycra shorts or bibs, so, no belt loops. That has been time for an older Eagle Creek camera/compact binocular waist pouch, which can hold a Colt Detective Special-sized revolver, but works better with J-Snubs. (It is easier to draw from a pouch that is not over-stuffed.) This pouch has evolved, so I am not sure about the newer one.

I recently added a Packer Backer, which allows a Safepacker to be worn as a waist pouch,
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

HPG Kit Bags

I really like the Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag, an excellent product, but for some reason have not used it while cycling. I have tended to use my HPG Recon Kit Bags to carry things other than handguns, while keeping the weapon(s) elsewhere. (Several times, I have reassured folks that, no, there is no weapon in here. “Look, see, first aid, multi-tool, and photography stuff.”)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I’ve been thinking about this lately as well. We are getting back into biking now that our kids are old enough to ride rail trails, greens and a few blues. I ordered the Osprey Savu pack from Amazon today. Looks like it will hold a 43X in a Vanguard. Not ideal, but may work. I also need to order the Vanguard but will wait until I receive the pack to determine if the lanyard attachment will work and if the pack can stabilize the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-...ey+savu&sr=8-3

Isn't this a decent example of dressing around the gun? Mostly concerned about a flat, far from home & wearing goofy shoes I can't really run in. If not appendix this is the only time I really DGAF about wearing a fanny pack.

Site Supporter
    MAMIL here. I spend lots of time spandex and have thought about this a bit. A roadie in spandex with a fanny pack or a chest pack would be an obvious tell. Depending on the jersey and the handgun, the raven pocket shield could work. But I’d be very concerned about sweat. I’d go this way if I ever buy a G43.

I have a Mag-Tank bag from Revalate Design I think you could fit a small auto or J-frame sized Revolver in it (I carry snacks for longer rides, but I just checked and my LCR barely squeezes through the opening.) Access would be a breeze and it would be protected from sweat. The down side would be how to secure the handgun if you step away from the bike a rest stop. That might not be a concern for some, but lots of cyclists in my neck of the woods would have a stroke if they saw me pull a firearm out of a tank bag or handle bar bag and slip it into a jersey pocket.

Site Supporter
    So, I just got back from a short mountain bike ride in the Bull Run stream valleys in this area (lots of ups and downs, rocks, roots, and logs). I was wearing the traditional black spandex shorts, but a regular synthetic t-shirt (same type I run in and wear to the gym). In the waistband of the shorts I had my POM pepper spray at 11-o'clock on my weak side and my Izula in its factory sheath with a Mummert clip on the strong side at 2-o'clock with the grip pointed forward. Both items stayed in place and were comfortable for the hour-long ride.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Isn't this a decent example of dressing around the gun? Mostly concerned about a flat, far from home & wearing goofy shoes I can't really run in. If not appendix this is the only time I really DGAF about wearing a fanny pack.
    Bike clothing isn't conducive to holding a gun in place and wearing non-bike clothing in cycling circles will out you like wearing a shoot-me vest. Losing a gun while cruising along at 20mph is a serious faux pas. A fanny pack is probably the best option, but will be out of place in some disciplines.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Bike clothing isn't conducive to holding a gun in place and wearing non-bike clothing in cycling circles will out you like wearing a shoot-me vest. Losing a gun while cruising along at 20mph is a serious faux pas. A fanny pack is probably the best option, but will be out of place in some disciplines.

Chris
    I get that. I've been running or biking just about every day since the gym closed. I guess I still dress like a dad when working out and haven't worn spandex since my teens. Falling with a holstered pistol is a consideration because it could either injure you or get away from you. Ironically I'd rather strap on a heater than carry a spare tube plus a way to inflate it

I am pretty diligent about wearing by HPG kit bag while cycling. I wear it on my road bike while wearing the full getup. I don't think it is obvious to non-gun people, and I honestly don't care. If I were biking in an NPE that would be a different story. It is very secure, and it gives me a place to stash wallet, keys, cell phone, and folder.

I just asked my wife, who often rides with me, and her comment was that it looks a little weird, but it would not occur to her that it contained a gun if she didn't already know.

User Tag List