Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying While Cycling

Carrying While Cycling

Hi,

I was hoping some of you guys can help refine my setup while in full cycling kit. Whenever I am training, I am wearing full cycling kit (bibs and jersey) and usually just slip a Glock 43 with a Vanguard 2 in one of my rear jersey pockets. Unfortunately, this is not the most efficient setup. When I draw, the Vanguard is still attached to the trigger guard. Do you guys have any recommendations for a proper setup? I've looked into "pocket" holsters but I was hoping there's a better option.

Hillpeople Gear Kit Bag. There’s discussion here on them, mostly for running or hiking. I would imagine they would work just as well for cycling.

Great question. I packed my gun in my hydration pack when I was mountain biking, and it wasn't as fast to deploy as I wanted. A guy let two Rottweilers off leash when I was riding down a trail. I did get the gun out in time and he immediately called his dogs, but that made me want a better solution. Never did find one though.

The HPG chest pack is way too hot and sweaty for me for hard core riding. And obviously a roadie isn't going to wear that.

I could see clipping a "Universal" holster AIWB into shorts, under a jersey.

I've done hundreds of miles of hiking over very challenging terrain with my P-07 AIWB. I didn't like it for bike riding though, but I think that could be solved by not having a stiff belt.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-03-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I haven't found anything that works well while riding that doesn't result in a slow draw. I can do AIWB if I'm wearing regular shorts or pants for urban cycling or moderate mountain biking, but nothing for serious road or dirt riding. In those situations I put the gat in my camelback or a little handlebar-mounted bag. Either bag option would be a slow draw though.

The HPG chest pack, while functional, is so out of place outside of hardcore back-country mountain biking it would practically scream gun. And, as Clusterfrack said, no roadie would touch it.

Speaking of which, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country from @Clusterfrack. It seems every post of his involves dogs being loosed upon him or being accosted by some homeless rando. Must be pheromones. He can stay waaayyyyy over there.

Chris

I have not tried what I'm about to suggest so please bear that in mind. (Mountain biker, don't do the full lycra kit anymore and I'd carry in a hydration pack).

A few ideas, in full lycra, to keep with the appearance, how about a musette style bag and then velcro a holster into it? Problems with traditional musettes is they can be prone to movement, especially with weight so something with a waist strap is going to help. If you're riding for a longer period or distance I can see any bag being uncomfortable.

For pocket carry, for the life of me I can't find what I was searching for. Someone makes a rigid frame that's designed to go in a front pocket that you clip flashlights, knives etc to. If someone can help me out with better google-fu than mine I'd appreciate it. As I can't find the exact thing I'm thinking of, I am not 100% sure but I would look to cut this to fit the jersey's rear pocket and then secure it with velcro and then mount a holster to it. I would worry about this printing but if you're carrying a tube/tools in the pocket next to it, they may help hide it.

ETA: With the recent-ish trend to gravel bikes and bike packing, a whole new world of bike bags has opened up and there are a decent number of custom bag makers too. A quick search pulled this list of manufacturers if you can't find a way to carry comfortably on your body.
    Last edited by hiro; 07-03-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I have not tried what I'm about to suggest so please bear that in mind. (Mountain biker, don't do the full lycra kit anymore and I'd carry in a hydration pack).

A few ideas, in full lycra, to keep with the appearance, how about a musette style bag and then velcro a holster into it? Problems with traditional musettes is they can be prone to movement, especially with weight so something with a waist strap is going to help. If you're riding for a longer period or distance I can see any bag being uncomfortable.

For pocket carry, for the life of me I can't find what I was searching for. Someone makes a rigid frame that's designed to go in a front pocket that you clip flashlights, knives etc to. If someone can help me out with better google-fu than mine I'd appreciate it. As I can't find the exact thing I'm thinking of, I am not 100% sure but I would look to cut this to fit the jersey's rear pocket and then secure it with velcro and then mount a holster to it. I would worry about this printing but if you're carrying a tube/tools in the pocket next to it, they may help hide it.
    The Raven Concealment Pocket Shield is what you are looking for. I will be modifying one to fit the pocket once it arrives.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Hillpeople Gear Kit Bag. There’s discussion here on them, mostly for running or hiking. I would imagine they would work just as well for cycling.
    This is my solution for cycling. You can go minimalist with contents or bring lots of stuff. I carry most of an IFAK, tire repair stuff, CPR breathing barrier, phone, face mask, etc.

Has PALS for stuff like my HAM H/T if so desired. Easily cinched to be as tight or not tight as desired.

For the gun pocket, I found that THIS holster did a great job keeping my G19 safe and in a fixed position. Was not a fan of the kydex trigger guard on a lanyard for this application. YMMV.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    And, as Clusterfrack said, no roadie would touch it.
    Yeah, I don't see on-body concealment being a thing when you are literally wearing spandex and nothing else. I suppose you could always OWB and just open carry, but I've settled on speed as my defense while on my road bike - a reasonably fit person on a road bike can do 20+ MPH without much difficulty, at least in short spurts. You're not getting away from cars that way, but I don't see employing a gun against a car being a winning proposition in the first place. Nobody on foot has any chance of catching you when you're on a road bike, and almost nobody on a mountain bike is catching you either - short gearing + fat tires = slow. I could see dogs being an issue, but generally speaking, they're not maintaining high speed over long distance, so as long as you can truly haul ass for a little while...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country from @Clusterfrack. It seems every post of his involves dogs being loosed upon him or being accosted by some homeless rando. Must be pheromones. He can stay waaayyyyy over there.
    Funny that you mention this. I was just discussing it with a friend. I don't think I've had a crazy number of dangerous encounters, but when I think about it maybe I have? My wife and I like to explore remote trails in uninhabited areas, which explains the triple cougar encounter. And there's nothing out of the ordinary about running into bears on a trail in Montana? Camping and 4 wheeling in the boondocks does lend itself to running into some interesting folks... Mountain biking 1000's of miles on wilderness single track: surely it's not surprising that I might come close to rear-ending a bear or have some asshole send his dogs after me? Portland and Salem are full of aggro homeless and sketchy tweakers, so there's that. Then there was the 2am home invasion... Anyway, I've resolved all of these encounters peacefully so that's a win!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    The Raven Concealment Pocket Shield is what you are looking for. I will be modifying one to fit the pocket once it arrives.
    Thank you!

User Tag List