Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heather Mac Donald: No epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Blacks

Heather Mac Donald: No epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Blacks

Opinion piece from today's USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3235072001/

There is no epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Black Americans

Ideally officers would never need to take anyone's life. But the data on police killings doesn't support reducing or abolishing law enforcement.

The video of George Floyd’s tragic death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer has led many to ask whether it represents the tip of an iceberg of police brutality. For centuries, United States law enforcement was interwoven with slavery and segregation, and that memory cannot be easily erased. But the evidence does not support the charge that biased police are systematically killing Black Americans in fatal shootings.

Much of modern policing is driven by crime data and community demands for help. The African American community tends to be policed more heavily, because that is where people are disproportionately hurt by violent street crime. In New York City in 2018, 73% of shooting victims were Black, though Black residents comprise only 24% of the city’s population.

Nationally, African Americans between the ages of 10 and 34 die from homicide at 13 times the rate of white Americans, according to researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Justice Department.

Community requests also determine police deployment, and the most urgent requests often come from law-abiding residents of high-crime neighborhoods.

An elderly resident in the Mount Hope neighborhood of the Bronx once described to me her fear of entering her building lobby, since it was so often occupied by trespassing youth hanging out and selling drugs. The only time she felt safe was when law enforcement was around: As long as she saw the police, she told me, everything is OK. You can come down and get your mail and talk to decent people.

Improve — don't abolish — police
    This sentiment is echoed in the dozens of police community meetings I’ve attended. Though they also want improved quality of policing, the percentage of Black respondents in a 2015 Gallup poll who wanted more police in their community was more than twice as high as the percentage of white respondents who said the same. Activists who seek to disband police departments will have to explain to these law-abiding residents that they will in essence just have to fend for themselves.

Such self defense may be understandable if the police were engaging in an epidemic of shooting unarmed Black men and women, as we now hear daily — but there is no such epidemic. For the last five years, the police have fatally shot about 1,000 civilians annually, the vast majority of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. Black people account for about 23% of those shot and killed by police; they are about 13% of the U.S. population.

As of the June 22 update, the Washington Post’s database of fatal police shootings showed 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019. The database does not include those killed by other means, like George Floyd.

The number of unarmed Black shooting victims is down 63% from 2015, when the database began. There are about 7,300 Black homicide victims a year. The 14 unarmed victims in fatal police shootings would comprise only 0.2% of that total.

Ideally, officers would never take anyone’s life in the course of their duties. But given the number of arrests they make each year (around 10 million) and the number of deadly-weapons attacks on officers (an average of 27 per day in just two-thirds of the nation’s police departments, according to a 2014 analysis), it is not clear that these 1,000 civilian shooting deaths suggest that law enforcement is out of control...

...cont'd...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Police Unions should think about combining resources and creating a national advertisement campaign promoting this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Police Unions should think about combining resources and creating a national advertisement campaign promoting this reality.
    We've seen how well facts fare in this environment.

I'm always fascinated by these on camera incidents and wonder what the outcome would be had the individual merely complied with the officers instructions, and why the news media never seems to point out the lack of compliance.

I don't think I'll ever forget the Eric Garner incident - first off, what an oddball law was involved, but how the scenario must have played out

- store owner probably asks him to stop selling "loosies" or to move on - Garner refuses

- store owner calls cops - a cop or two shows up and asks Garner to stop or move on - Garner refuses

- Cops tells Garner they're going to arrest him - Garner refuses

- Cop calls for back-up - a couple more cops show up and Garner refuses

- How long must it take for, were there 8 cops at that scene?, for all of them to show up for a "selling loosies on the street" crime?

Garner must have had more than a dozen opportunities to comply with any instruction, and probably over nearly an hour period, but he chose not to. The complete lack of compliance to police (or any authority figure) instructions is such a foreign concept to me, I don't think it will ever make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We've seen how well facts fare in this environment.
    Very true. I share your cynicism. The nearly insurmountable problem we face with this false narrative and with ALL of the "critical theory", "woke inquisition" madness is that facts are not (in and of themselves) persuasive anymore. To push back against the tide, we must somehow begin to manifest an aggressive dissemination of OUR narrative (which we believe is based in fact). How to do this when we are denied equal access to traditional and social media platforms, when to speak up is to be doxed and financially ruined, is perhaps the existential question of our time.

To butcher a concept from your prior professional life, Blues, the Police Unions have the Means, Motive, and Opportunity to run adds/commercials. I'm sure others do too, but a collective organization of unions may be one of the few groups with immediate compelling self interest and intestinal fortitude to promote the truth.

Very true. I share your cynicism. The nearly insurmountable problem we face with this false narrative and with ALL of the "critical theory", "woke inquisition" madness is that facts are not (in and of themselves) persuasive anymore. To push back against the tide, we must somehow begin to manifest an aggressive dissemination of OUR narrative (which we believe is based in fact). How to do this when we are denied equal access to traditional and social media platforms, when to speak up is to be doxed and financially ruined, is perhaps the existential question of our time.

To butcher a concept from your prior professional life, Blues, the Police Unions have the Means, Motive, and Opportunity to run adds/commercials. I'm sure others do too, but a collective organization of unions may be one of the few groups with immediate compelling self interest and intestinal fortitude to promote the truth.
    I know that FLEOA, (Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association), an organization I've belonged to since 1983, has been taking an aggressive stance on this matter in Congress...not so much in the lay mass media, afaik. I receive email updates regularly from the national president in regard to action taken.

They recently joined with the New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, (NJFOP), in regard to NJ's wanton disregard of the federal LEOSA statute. So, I would imagine that this sort of fraternal cooperation is likely going forward. Coordinated efforts will certainly increase leverage.

Here's hoping.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our local union is voting on forming a PAC to do that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I know that FLEOA, (Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association), an organization I've belonged to since 1983, has been taking an aggressive stance on this matter in Congress...not so much in the lay mass media, afaik. I receive email updates regularly from the national president in regard to action taken.

They recently joined with the New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, (NJFOP), in regard to NJ's wanton disregard of the federal LEOSA statute. So, I would imagine that this sort of fraternal cooperation is likely going forward. Coordinated efforts will certainly increase leverage.

Here's hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Our local union is voting on forming a PAC to do that.
    Serious question here, no snark intended. But have you (and the unions) seen how unresponsive the politicians they are lobbying have been? Have you seen how unresponsive to logic, facts and common sense they were in Seattle and Minneapolis? There seems to be a rising tide of "wokeness", it's all through the media, virtually every school system, every sport, every corporate board, etc. It seems to be running rampantly out of control. Politicians are the first to jump on or just cave to it. I share in hoping, but what's plan B? Is there a plan B? Because with the recent history I think there needs to be a plan B.

It's impossible for two sides to coexist when one side is determined to conquer the other by any means necessary. Especially when one side plays by the rules and the other doesn't.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Serious question here, no snark intended. But have you (and the unions) seen how unresponsive the politicians they are lobbying have been? Have you seen how unresponsive to logic, facts and common sense they were in Seattle and Minneapolis? There seems to be a rising tide of "wokeness", it's all through the media, virtually every school system, every sport, every corporate board, etc. It seems to be running rampantly out of control. Politicians are the first to jump on or just cave to it. I share in hoping, but what's plan B? Is there a plan B? Because with the recent history I think there needs to be a plan B.
    I don't think there's anything snarky about your question or message. I've been complaining about this fairly regularly. But anything outside of the legal system or our elected representatives will call for grassroots action. What that will entail will be determined as we proceed, I suppose. At a minimum, perhaps marches or rallies to get public attention...beyond that...???

I really don't want to think about insurrection and civil war, that's really never been on my radar...though I suppose I'm a little less confident than I once was about its never coming to that in my lifetime.

It remains to be seen, imho, what the staying power and resolve of the opposition is. Still, forewarned is forearmed.

User Tag List