Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I need a new flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Thanks guys. I feel like I've stepped into a light nerd ambush with this thread.

With the Bodyguard V1, what kind of realistic run times are you guys getting?

I'm not sold on the idea of going to the more boutique specialty batteries yet, so I'm thinking with CR123A in mind. One other thing to mention, I don't plan to carry multiple lights, so I'm coming at it from that standpoint.
    @Hot Sauce

I'd go with the data on the Malkoff site. Gene is very reliable (conservative) with his numbers. I tend to only use it for very short periods so I've never done a test of how long it lasts.

When the battery gets down to about 3.75 volts I put it on the charger. (I have plenty of disposable CR123 primaries, but I use the recommended high drain rechargeable with no issues or surprises. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Finally another man of culture.

I'd go a step further and recommend the Zebralight SC5c or SC5w. They are slightly thicker but they are designed to give 14500 output on a AA sized battery and still smaller than most. The SC5c would be my choice as it's a 4000K tint with a CRI of 93-95 but you're giving up some over lumens (476 max vs the 550) the UI is predictable, intuitive and the newer versions are entirely programmable so if you really just wanted to make a single mode light you could.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC5c-Mk-II...CRI_p_192.html

My other favorite AA light is the Eagletac D25A Mk2 as it's the slimmest AA light out there period that's still worth a damn and it has a pretty good UI with a good. I have one with the Nichia emitter which reduces the overall output but it has the nicest tint and CRI of the options. If you don't care about tint you can get 400 lumens out of a single AA
    http://www.eagtac.com/html/d25arcmkii/index.html

One of the best budget AA out there is the Thrunite T10 II as it's $24 but it's only pushing 160 lumens
    https://thrunite.com/t10/

If you're willing to go to Lithium Ion batteries you can get the Zebralight SC64c which isn't much bigger than the SC5 but it does put out 900 lumens and has the same UI and all that:
    http://www.zebralight.com/SC64c-LE-1...ion_p_239.html

Or you can go crazy with this little pocket rocket the Lumintop FW3A that will out 2800 lumens out something not much thicker but it will get super hot and might burn you.

https://www.illumn.com/lumintop-fw3a...lashlight.html

If 2800 lumens isn't enough you can step it up to the Emisar D4V2 which can put out 4200 lumens with a slightly thicker head. Be careful if you go this route though as the Emisar D4 on full power will get so hot it will burn through pants pockets, bags or anything else you have near it. It will light paper on fire and it will eventually get so hot that it will desolder the LED itself but don't worry as it will get way to hold to old before then.
    https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4v2...lashlight.html

If that isn't enough you you can even put a 18350 tube on it (compatible with a CR123a) and get the same output with a reduced runtime in a tiny little package like this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/...isar_clip_and/
    I just picked up a lumintop fw1a and that thing is straight up dangerous unless you do the clicky switch mod to require more pressure. It was super prone to accidental activation and it’ll straight up burn through your pants if it’s on high. However now that I fixed the tailcap it is dang near perfection. I can access low or high out of the pocket and it’s tiny for an 18650 light. I used it on the 4th of July and was lighting up trees at 100 yards.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I just picked up a lumintop fw1a and that thing is straight up dangerous unless you do the clicky switch mod to require more pressure. It was super prone to accidental activation and it’ll straight up burn through your pants if it’s on high. However now that I fixed the tailcap it is dang near perfection. I can access low or high out of the pocket and it’s tiny for an 18650 light. I used it on the 4th of July and was lighting up trees at 100 yards.

As much as I love the energy density, output and runtime of 18650 lights I mostly carry the Eagletac D25A I mentioined with the Nichia emitter and a 14500 cell because I rarely need more light than that offers and I love how slim it is compared to any of my 18650 lights so the FW1A is interesting to me as I had been begging the designers on the Budget Light Forum to design the FW3A with a single emitter in a much slimmer AA/14500 sized tube for a while, so when I saw there was a FW1A on the way I was stoked until I saw it was just a single emitter version that was still a 18650 body.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Have you had any problems with battery connectivity with your streamlight? I just kicked my protac HL-X to the curb due to unreliable performance. It works for like 2 or 3 mags then it just stops turning on. I have to fiddle fuck with the tail cap (push button not tail switch) to get it running again. I'm going to buy the cloud defensive tail switch and see if that fixes it. Regardless it's going on a range rifle from here on out.
    What battery or batteries were you using? The recommended Streamlight "SL-B26" rechargeable 18650 is slightly longer than a "standard" 18650. Maybe a shorter 18650 wouldn't work perfectly if the HL-X tailcap spring compresses a little under recoil? Oh lord, not another spring discussion... Also 2xCR123A are slightly longer than a standard 18650, closer to the SL-B26 length, so that might work better for you.

I ask because I recently ordered an HL-X for rail mount as well. The USB charge feature of the SL-B26 isn't necessary for me, and there are other, cheaper, higher capacity 18650s available.

(Mods feel free to move if this drifts too far)

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Finally snagged an MDC High Only when they got back in stock. Liking it so far! Will report back with more deets as time goes. Thanks @blues @BillSWPA @NH Shooter
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

How do you feel about right angle lights? I carried an armytek elf c2 for a while in my bag and it was very handy. The hold press for moonlight mode is great. If you want something smaller there's the Manker E02 and E03. The E02 uses AAA and E03 is AA. These would be good task lights

I just picked up a malkoff m61hot MD2 to carry instead of the single cell bodyguard. The MD2 carries better in my pocket and the unshrouded button and on the bodyguard gets activated in my pocket sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    What battery or batteries were you using? The recommended Streamlight "SL-B26" rechargeable 18650 is slightly longer than a "standard" 18650. Maybe a shorter 18650 wouldn't work perfectly if the HL-X tailcap spring compresses a little under recoil? Oh lord, not another spring discussion... Also 2xCR123A are slightly longer than a standard 18650, closer to the SL-B26 length, so that might work better for you.

I ask because I recently ordered an HL-X for rail mount as well. The USB charge feature of the SL-B26 isn't necessary for me, and there are other, cheaper, higher capacity 18650s available.

(Mods feel free to move if this drifts too far)
    Most people that have the flickering issues with the HLX light are solving that problem with the use of an 18650.

To stay on topic, how about a Streamlight Macrostream? Really nice output in a really nice form factor.

User Tag List