Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new flashlight

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    This should check all of your boxes. I am no fan of Stremlight CS and vowed to never give them another dime but.... I snagged one of these for a very good price via amazon. It is simply a great light.
    Jason, do you mind discussing your concern about Streamlight productsL

Site Supporter
    I've been very impressed by the Surefire Stilleto - the tailcoat button is programable for momentary or constant, and is the max setting, the normal button is programable low/medium/high or the opposite, and the battery is rechargeable and onboard with a button to check the charge at any time.

Clip is easily removed as well, looks like they run about $100 right now. It doesn't really have a hot spot, and has a decent amount of spill - makes for a great general purpose light. It's really easy to use it at IDPA matches where they require handheld use, as most folks wind up with their light aimed at the ground (round stick in a flat gap between fingers, low lumen and a hot spot). The flat profile doesn't move around in my support hand like a round light does, allows for a better grip with the pistol, the lack hot spot doesn't illuminate the smoke from firing like a smoke screen, and the spill makes technique not matter quite so much. Works decent out to 15 or 20 yards.

The other light I'm a huge fan of for a utility purpose, but isn't nearly as bright and hardly has a throw, is the Streamlight Microstreamlight, also a rechargeable unit (lacks the ability to check charge without plugging in). Goes high medium low in brown, opposite if black. 250 lumens, clip works for pockets or baseball cap bills that's very easy to remove, really small in length and diameter. It's about the size of a stick of chapstick and runs $30. Think of it like a Jframe of flashlights, but holds it's own worth if you're hunting for a missing bolt in the garage, or similar where you don't need a really bright light.

Other than that, the lights that I'm interested in trying are out of the budget listed (which is also my budget). Modlights are what I want to try next, and getting my hands on a white light laser to experiment with is the other one I want to play with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Have you had any problems with battery connectivity with your streamlight? I just kicked my protac HL-X to the curb due to unreliable performance. It works for like 2 or 3 mags then it just stops turning on. I have to fiddle fuck with the tail cap (push button not tail switch) to get it running again. I'm going to buy the cloud defensive tail switch and see if that fixes it. Regardless it's going on a range rifle from here on out.
    I've had zero issues with my sample of one. I wasn't wowed years ago with my duty issue Streamlight Stinger but I love this little Pro-Tac and need to pick up a couple more.

The OP is replacing a light much smaller than a pro tac or stiletto.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Have you had any problems with battery connectivity with your streamlight? I just kicked my protac HL-X to the curb due to unreliable performance. It works for like 2 or 3 mags then it just stops turning on. I have to fiddle fuck with the tail cap (push button not tail switch) to get it running again. I'm going to buy the cloud defensive tail switch and see if that fixes it. Regardless it's going on a range rifle from here on out.
    None at all with either of the battery types.

Site Supporter

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Jason, do you mind discussing your concern about Streamlight productsL
    All boiled down, I had a problem with a product. The remediation offered via email was not what was offered in person when I went to their service center. In fairness to SL, I think it was a case of a CS rep and the customer both being in bad moods. My tone, after not getting what was initially offered, probably didn't help. This was some number of years ago and I was a waaaay bigger asshole then.

I haven’t had good luck with micro usb rechargeable stuff in the past. My preference is to just swap batteries as needed.

How big is the ProTac? Am I going to look happy to see you if I carry it in the front pocket of a light weight pair of pants?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Once you go malkoff you never go back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I haven’t had good luck with micro usb rechargeable stuff in the past. My preference is to just swap batteries as needed.

How big is the ProTac? Am I going to look happy to see you if I carry it in the front pocket of a light weight pair of pants?
    Its about the same as the single 123 cell SF. The E1B? I'll shoot a pic later this evening for you.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Once you go malkoff you never go back.
    This one might fit your needs - https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...123-flashlight

User Tag List