Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new flashlight

I need a new flashlight

I lost my 4 year old EDC Fenix E12 on vacation. I need a recommendation on a new one. There were a couple things I didn’t like about the Fenix. It wasn’t on its highest setting when first turned on and it wasn’t the brightest at 120 Lumens.

I would like something that is pocket sized, no clip or easily removed clip, tail cap push button switch, uses standard replaceable batteries. I don’t have a lumen range in mind but brighter is better. I’m okay with something a little bigger than the AA Fenix but I need it to be fairly compact. I wear slacks to work often.

What should I buy?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I lost my 4 year old EDC Fenix E12 on vacation. I need a recommendation on a new one. There were a couple things I didn’t like about the Fenix. It wasn’t on its highest setting when first turned on and it wasn’t the brightest at 120 Lumens.

I would like something that is pocket sized, no clip or easily removed clip, tail cap push button switch, uses standard replaceable batteries. I don’t have a lumen range in mind but brighter is better. I’m okay with something a little bigger than the AA Fenix but I need it to be fairly compact. I wear slacks to work often.

What should I buy?
    What’s your price range? Do you care if it’s American made?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    What’s your price range? Do you care if it’s American made?
    I would prefer to keep it under $100. If it’s a solid light I’m impartial to country of origin.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Streamlight's ProTac 1L-1AA gives you the option of using either a single CR123 or a single AA cell. Runtime is similar either way, but the output is higher with CR123. It can be programmed for your preferred mode of operation (mine is set up for high mode only). Regardless of which other lights I have with me when I travel, I have this light as a backup since I can likely find an AA cell almost anywhere I am likely to go.

Micro stream if the e12 was ok.

I love my Olight m1x with rechargeable battery. Under $100. Bright AF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Streamlight's ProTac 1L-1AA gives you the option of using either a single CR123 or a single AA cell. Runtime is similar either way, but the output is higher with CR123. It can be programmed for your preferred mode of operation (mine is set up for high mode only). Regardless of which other lights I have with me when I travel, I have this light as a backup since I can likely find an AA cell almost anywhere I am likely to go.
    This should check all of your boxes. I am no fan of Stremlight CS and vowed to never give them another dime but.... I snagged one of these for a very good price via amazon. It is simply a great light.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have one of these that rides in my pocket daily everywhere I go. It would be my recommendation.

Site Supporter
    If you can live with USB-rechargeable, I'd go with the Streamlight Microstream. The bronze-colored version goes on high with the first click. I've had mine for over a year and it's worked well. I used it for a low/no-light class with no problem. I charge it when I think about it, either overnight or on a long drive. I think it's 250 lumens on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    This should check all of your boxes. I am no fan of Stremlight CS and vowed to never give them another dime but.... I snagged one of these for a very good price via amazon. It is simply a great light.
    Have you had any problems with battery connectivity with your streamlight? I just kicked my protac HL-X to the curb due to unreliable performance. It works for like 2 or 3 mags then it just stops turning on. I have to fiddle fuck with the tail cap (push button not tail switch) to get it running again. I'm going to buy the cloud defensive tail switch and see if that fixes it. Regardless it's going on a range rifle from here on out.

User Tag List