Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would not be surprised if it takes a few weeks at least, but it will be well worth the wait.

In that size light, you might also consider the Bodyguard version 1: https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio.../mdc-bodyguard

I have carried either this light or the version 2 Bodyguard every day for several months now. You get a really high mode every time you press the tail switch, but then get a medium output after about 8 seconds of runtime. The next time you press the switch, it goes right back to high. It is one of the most useful user interfaces I have seen.
    Concur. I have both as well. I usually carry the bigger brother...but I'm generally in Duluth cargo shorts or trousers.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    @blues @BillSWPA Do you guys not find the 600 lumens overwhelming? Just thinking from a nightstand/indoor use perspective, and maybe lighting up a white wall or something analogously light reflective in close quarters?

For reference, my previous light was a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA, which claims a rating 350 lumens with CR123A batteries. Worked well for me, but it had a slick body which sometimes hobbled presentation, and eventually allowed it to get dislodged and lost when clipped to my pants around town.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Forgive me if somebody already mentioned it but the Protac 1L can also take a AAA. As mentioned if a CR123 isn’t handy, certainly everybody can scrounge up a AA or AAA in a pinch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    @blues @BillSWPA Do you guys not find the 600 lumens overwhelming? Just thinking from a nightstand/indoor use perspective, and maybe lighting up a white wall or something analogously light reflective in close quarters?

For reference, my previous light was a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA, which claims a rating 350 lumens with CR123A batteries. Worked well for me, but it had a slick body which sometimes hobbled presentation, and eventually allowed it to get dislodged and lost when clipped to my pants around town.
    I have not found it to be overwhelming. My understanding is that you need at least 450 lumens in order to have a noticeable effect on someone on the receiving end, and I want to be sure my light has that potential.

I am a AA man all the way. Why? I travel to rural mexico and central america often and I want to be able to have batteries available to me in a pinch. They are available everywhere.

I went with the 1AA version and bought the 2AA tube as well. I went Malkoff because I am DONE supporting china whenever I possibly can. All my china lights were sold off, given away or thrown out.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...1aa-flashlight

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...-2aa-body-only

Small for lighweight carry. Larger for when I plan on being away for a while.

115 Lumen for the small, 250 for high. I live rural in a no streetlight area. It is more than enough for me at night, either in town or in the desert. My concern isn't overwhelming, it is identification and it works just fine.

They both fit in my pocket but I mostly go 1AA unless I am traveling.

Last edited by eb07; 07-08-2020 at 03:09 PM.

I carried a 1L-1AA for years until replacing it with a similarly-sized Surefire EDCL-1T. I really like both lights, and need to replace the Streamlight I gave away to my sister-in-law (along with some pepper spray) so I have a backup again. The Streamlight to me is 80% of the Surefire's features and performance at 20% of the price.

That said, they are both large for carrying in slacks, though the Streamlight's smaller head/bezel helps it out a bit. I manage both in office attire, but by carrying them in my back left pocket, bezel down, in a cheapo leather pocket "sheath" from Amazon that's intended for a light and a pocket knife, to keep them oriented and prevent wear on my pants from the bezel. I don't think either would work well in the front pocket of slacks that are properly fitted. Not unnoticed, at least. The flat Stiletto may be better for carrying as much light as possible that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

@Hot Sauce

I haven't found it to be problematic. I tend to aim low with the light to begin with unless I suspect I'm dealing with a live threat. No issues with walls etc for me personally. You can light up a lot of stuff up just aiming off or reflecting off the floor.

The difference is not as big as it "sounds". It may be somewhat like music amplification in that it takes a lot more energy to come close to doubling the signal. (But I use that only as an illustration.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The pics below are my Zebralight SC52w. The current version is the SC53c, among others. Runs on a single AA battery. 285 lumens on high.

I also have a couple of their floody headlamps. Also run on a single AA battery. Current version is the H53Fw, among others.

Name:  aa1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  aa2.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  69.3 KB
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Quark QK16L MKIII - https://darksucks.com/collections/fo...rk-qk16l-mkiii

Or the QK2A MKIII - https://darksucks.com/collections/fo...ark-qk2a-mkiii

Conversion Bodies Are available as well: https://darksucks.com/collections/fo...version-bodies

The new Quarks are as quality as the old ones, the new owner of Foursevens (Jason Hui) is a man committed to a high quality product and provides good customer service as well. The only thing I don't like about the new Quarks is that they recommend against the use of Alkaline batteries in AA and AAA lights. I understand why (because they leak), but in my experience, one of the primary reasons to choose an AA or AAA light is broad availability of batteries. The good news is, you shouldn't experience any major issues if you use them short-term, just don't stick two alkalines in your light and then leave it in your glovebox for 3-years. Alkalines have shorter lifespan, so I would expect run-time to be diminished. It is what it is.

If you want the closest to the most bomb-ass version of the old school Quark. Get a QK16L, a 1xAA conversion body, and 14500 high-discharge (4.2v) batteries. That will give you 700-lumens of turbo/burst mode in a 1xAA form factor, when assembled. I have two in the old school (twist head for low mode) and they are awesome.

The Body Guard type 1 sounds like a really great light. I’m split between it and the battery versatility of the Pro-Tac 1L 1AA. I was gifted a rechargeable Streamlight Strion LED a few years ago that I use for bedside. It’s been a really good light. I really like the idea lumen output and interface of the Body Guard.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List