Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It appears that Glock is getting rid of the Gen 4.....

Entering the calendar year, I was anticipating dipping my toe in the Glock pool with a Gen 4 G34 this summer. The pandemic and George Floyd issues has put off my gun purchases until the fall at the earliest, and I guess it probably won't be a Gen 4 G34.

Very happy w my two g26.4s. Though, I think that’s the only model i’d want grooves on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hmmm. This leaves me with the question of what to do with my 3 Gen 4 9mm glocks....

Same. Also after shooting my 48 a little more I am not so sure I want to upgrade to the Gen 5 anyway. The takedown lever heating up in under 150 rounds was not something I was super excited about.

Honestly I am more likely to replace them with Gen 3 guns at this point than Gen 5...
    Buy a few spare parts and keep the Gen4 9's if they work ok for you--and they should.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Early Gen4’s (mostly) fixed the issues with .40 cal Glocks and as a result caused issues in 9mm. This was when Glock was still trying to use the same RSA’s for both 40 and 9.

Once they came to their senses and went to caliber specific RSA’s those issues went away.

I personally prefer the trigger pull in gens 1-3 & 5 but that has no bearing on reliability.

The real question is are the Gen 5 .40 caps going to have the G37 sized slides like the Brazilian police contract guns ?
    I'm with HCM; awaiting with interest to see if the Gen5 G22 goes the Brazilian contract route (using the G37's heavy slide is something Glock should have done years and years ago-look at the route HK did with the VP40-but I'm actually pretty pleased with my Gen4 G22 (which also has a OEM .357 SIG barrel).

I'd probably get such a Gen5 G22 though, just because. And for science. My Gen4's unlikely to go anyplace.

Best, Jon

A heavier slide Gen 5 G22 would interest me, if nothing else so I wouldn't feel bad shooting my 9mm stash in times of panic.

Vending Machine Operator
    I think Glock said they'll continue to provide parts and service for all Gen4s indefinitely, so I don't think there's any issue keeping them. I'm certainly keeping my excellent Gen 4 17.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I forced myself to like Gen 4s but it was like living a lie. I am very satisfied with the current Gen 5 line and more and more of them seem to keep coming home with me.

Given the empty handgun cases I keep seeing at local shops, I would have sold every Gen 4 in the safe for a premium...if I still had them. I still very much love the Gen 3 17 as well.

Site Supporter
    Never made the jump to Gen 4 because in my mind it was a 2 to 4 gun proposition (practice and carry G34/practice and carry G35).

I concur that the early RSA issues were solved and recent vintage Gen 4s are GTG.

Site Supporter
    "A heavier slide Gen 5 G22 would interest me..."

IIRC correctly, Chuck Haggard and others in the know/mix at the time, made a similar suggestion (heavier slide for G22 to run reliably with a light attached) to no avail in the early 2000's.

The Gen 5 .40 Glocks will be available October 2020.
    I posted a new thread on this today.

User Tag List