Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It appears that Glock is getting rid of the Gen 4.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hmmm. This leaves me with the question of what to do with my 3 Gen 4 9mm glocks....

Same. Also after shooting my 48 a little more I am not so sure I want to upgrade to the Gen 5 anyway. The takedown lever heating up in under 150 rounds was not something I was super excited about.

Honestly I am more likely to replace them with Gen 3 guns at this point than Gen 5...
    I’m kind of in the same boat with older gen 3’s that have never given me a problem that I plan to keep one gen 4 34mos. I’ve been kind of meh about since the gen 5’s came out 6 months after I bought it. Question for the hive mind is do I sell the 34 now or wait a bit.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I guess if you like finger grooves AND texture you’re out of luck.

If (who am I kidding, when) I get more they’d be Gen5 anyway, but my gen4s are good guns.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m kind of in the same boat with older gen 3’s that have never given me a problem that I plan to keep one gen 4 34mos. I’ve been kind of meh about since the gen 5’s came out 6 months after I bought it. Question for the hive mind is do I sell the 34 now or wait a bit.
    I'm going to hang on to my guns and just order a few RSAs. Now is a great time to be seling guns, but not a great time to be buying replacements, particularly when you factor in the cost in ammunition to vet each new gun. I am not going to be shooting through a whole recoil spring's worth of ammo any time soon.

Long term when things return to normal I will probably sell my Gen 4s and replace with Gen 3s unless I change my mind about Gen 5.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hmmm. This leaves me with the question of what to do with my 3 Gen 4 9mm glocks....

Same. Also after shooting my 48 a little more I am not so sure I want to upgrade to the Gen 5 anyway. The takedown lever heating up in under 150 rounds was not something I was super excited about.

Honestly I am more likely to replace them with Gen 3 guns at this point than Gen 5...
    Why replace them ?

There are millions of Gen 4 guns out there and parts won’t dry up in your lifetime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That said, now is a great time to be selling Glock pistols and a lousy time to be buying them.
    From your lips (fingers?) to God's ears...
    While I didn't lose money on my G19.3, I could have made a lot more money if I had held onto it for another couple months. Covid, the lockdown, and the resulting gun panic weren't yet things though.

Chris

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why replace them ?

There are millions of Gen 4 guns out there and parts won’t dry up in your lifetime.
    As long as there is parts support then I agree no need to replace. I just bought a few RSA's for my pair of Gen 4 G19s which I think is the only Gen 4 specific part I am worried about needing to replace. That should be enough for the forseeable future.

I just passed up a deal on a like new G34 gen4 MOS. Maybe I shouldn't have. [emoji16]

What's this about Gen4s being unreliable? I know Oakland PD had to send all of their first batch back to Glock, but after that, they've worked fine. Keep in mind, I maintain a fleet of 35 Gen4 G17s and G19s. We've had zero issues in 5 years of issuing them. And, we shoot a decent amount. I buy over 30k rounds of 9mm per year and a number of our guys take outside classes and use their own ammo. We did have one G17 go full auto, but the person that the pistol is issued to is a Schleprock and we could not duplicate the malfunction.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What's this about Gen4s being unreliable? I know Oakland PD had to send all of their first batch back to Glock, but after that, they've worked fine. Keep in mind, I maintain a fleet of 35 Gen4 G17s and G19s. We've had zero issues in 5 years of issuing them. And, we shoot a decent amount. I buy over 30k rounds of 9mm per year and a number of our guys take outside classes and use their own ammo. We did have one G17 go full auto, but the person that the pistol is issued to is a Schleprock and we could not duplicate the malfunction.
    Early Gen4’s (mostly) fixed the issues with .40 cal Glocks and as a result caused issues in 9mm. This was when Glock was still trying to use the same RSA’s for both 40 and 9.

Once they came to their senses and went to caliber specific RSA’s those issues went away.

I personally prefer the trigger pull in gens 1-3 & 5 but that has no bearing on reliability.

The real question is are the Gen 5 .40 caps going to have the G37 sized slides like the Brazilian police contract guns ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Sounds like I should buy a Gen4 19MOS sooner rather than later. With the Gen5 pistols not being authorized, the Gen4 is our only option if we want a red dot Glock should they finally authorize red dots for everyone.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List