Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It appears that Glock is getting rid of the Gen 4.....

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A "fish scale" RTF2 17 was hands down the biggest piece of shit (for a Glock) I ever owned.
    Absolute train wreck when it came to reliability (total lack of).
    It looked cool though.
    Huh, really? Mine was my USPSA Production gun - 14k+ rounds down the pipe, no bobbles I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Glad to see them trim their line up...

While I get Gen 3 and CA, I never understood some of their decisions. Like the 30S. I love mine, and my duty gun (19 Gen 5) fits in every holster I have for the 30S. Literally is their most popular gun (19), in .45 ACP. Yet, it is marooned on Gen 3 Island. And then you have a 30 Gen 4. [emoji849]
    I'm sure we'll see a Gen5 30S "soon™"

Glock just couldn't master the technological challenges to bring us a Gen4 30S. You'd have to walk clear across the room to get a slide and then slide it on the Gen4 frame!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Huh, really? Mine was my USPSA Production gun - 14k+ rounds down the pipe, no bobbles I can remember.
    Yea, that train wreck RTF2 17 was the reason I took a H&K detour for about 10 years.
    It took the Gen 5 to bring me back.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter

It appears that Glock is getting rid of the Gen 4.....

I’ve used my fish scale G17 RTF2 for Limited, and it has been great. No issues with reliability whatsoever. It almost never got cleaned and rarely got lubed (stupid, I know).

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yea, that train wreck RTF2 17 was the reason I took a H&K detour for about 10 years.
    Interesting. Biggest problem I had was occasional BTF, but the White Sound HRED (remember those?) seemed to fix it.

Gen 5 seems to be the ticket for reliability.

+1 Mine is top notch too. When I used it in a Hackathorn class he called it out as the best pistol Glock every produced in his opinion, circa 2012 or so. Mileages vary. A close friend used RTF2 G22s extensively in the military without any problems including running lights and has recreated that particular set up with a POW.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Must have got a bad one. I have numerous 17, 19 and 21RTF2's and they all run very well. (Haven't really shot the 19 Fish one though). Now my first 17gen4 when they initially came out.........Junk.....So bad Glock replaced it at 1800 rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I'm sure we'll see a Gen5 30S "soon™"
    I fear it will be a cool day in a warm climate before that happens. And you're right about the difficulty in making a G4 G30S. Took me at least 1 or 2 minutes to take off the G30 slide and put on the G36 slide. Of course I didn't have to walk across the room and that would indeed slow down production.

My real fear is that when they have divested themselves of all the Gen 4s on hand and go strictly Gen 5, we won't see any 45 ACPs. Gen 5 will be 9mm all the time, every day, in every way: with a smattering of 40 S&W for the "out of the loop" agencies and the foreign orders.

Dave

Whille I value my .45 ACPs, I suspect that as time goes on .45 pistols and use will diminish, as from a general duty aspect there doesn't seem to be much that it does that the new 9mm cartridges/bullets dont, and with less recoil, cost and weight.

For penetration and wilderness use, .40 (and .357 SIG possibly) slowly seems to be coming into its own in that niche, due to its increased power/penetration capabilities.

I don't see .45 ACP "going away," but I do see its use gradually receeding-especially as a duty/general use defensive caliber.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Whille I value my .45 ACPs, I suspect that as time goes on .45 pistols and use will diminish, as from a general duty aspect there doesn't seem to be much that it does that the new 9mm cartridges/bullets dont, and with less recoil, cost and weight.

For penetration and wilderness use, .40 (and .357 SIG possibly) slowly seems to be coming into its own in that niche, due to its increased power/penetration capabilities.

I don't see .45 ACP "going away," but I do see its use gradually receeding-especially as a duty/general use defensive caliber.

Best, Jon
    It was in the way out in the 90’s until the awb was passed. When the next one is passed we’ll probably see a similar resurgence.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List