Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: It appears that Glock is getting rid of the Gen 4.....

Possibly, but frankly I'm doubtful-the most likely AWB magazine restriction will probably be 10 rounds, and there are plenty of appropriately proportionately downsized 9mm (and, for that matter, .40) pistols currently already out-the Glock G43X, G48, HK VP9 SK, P30 SK, P2000 SK and so on.

I think the '94 AWB caught manufacturers flat-footed, and a 7-10 round .45 ACP was a palatable alternative, epecially compared to a full-size 9mm designed for a 15 round (or larger) magazine, but drastically oversized for a 10 round one.

Ironically, I suspect one cartridge/platform capable of having a bit of a resurgance (i.e., brought back from the near-dead) in face of such draconian magazine limitations could be .45 GAP; a .45 in a 9mm plarform...(ok, so the slide's a bit larger-make a .40 version!)(Oh wait, they have-the Gen5 Brazilian police contract G22.....)

Another factor to consider (which most probaby won't) is that magazine capacity in my opinion should take a second seat (and a far back second seat) to how you ergonomically index with a platform. If i perform my best with a, say, Glock G17, in most (read virtually all) circumstances I'll argue that it's practically irrelevant whether I have 10 rounds on board or 17+, as for year after year the FBI dutifully reports that most armed confrontations are resolved with 3-5 rounds. If I'm that concerned about capacity, but perform best with said G17, my best solution simply might be just to carry sufficient reload magazines (and practice speed reloads) to assuage my concern...

But I realize I'm speaking unpardonable heresey.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-08-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think it would be a lesser resurgence, especially places like here with well informed students of the pistol. And you do have a point about a much better solection if 10rd pistols in 9mm these days that are suitable for carry.

I’m still thinking though that for full sized handguns the cleeti and general buyers will look at the same amount or 1-2 rounds less of a bigger bullet as better.

I do hope that and will work towards neither one of us having our theories proven wrong anytime soon.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It was in the way out in the 90’s until the awb was passed. When the next one is passed we’ll probably see a similar resurgence.
    You can be if Dementia Joe manages to get elected, that’s exactly what will happen.. That’s why I hang on to the .45 compacts that I have..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Another factor to consider (which most probaby won't) is that magazine capacity in my opinion should take a second seat (and a far back second seat) to how you ergonomically index with a platform. If i perform my best with a, say, Glock G17, in most (read virtually all) circumstances I'll argue that it's practically irrelevant whether I have 10 rounds on board or 17+, as for year after year the FBI dutifully reports that most armed confrontations are resolved with 3-5 rounds. If I'm that concerned about capacity, but perform best with said G17, my best solution simply might be just to carry sufficient reload magazines (and practice speed reloads) to assuage my concern...

But I realize I'm speaking unpardonable heresey.

Best, Jon
    It seems that glock 10 round mags are spotty. Reading some threads here and on glock talk. It looks like people end up tinkering with the mags or getting the grip chopped to take g26 mags.

You would think that glock would have figured this out by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    It seems that glock 10 round mags are spotty. Reading some threads here and on glock talk. It looks like people end up tinkering with the mags or getting the grip chopped to take g26 mags.

You would think that glock would have figured this out by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    While that certainly is the case that I've heard anecdotally from others that I respect (such as DocGKR) regarding the potentially spotty reliability of Glock 10 round magazines, other than being difficult to load the last couple of cartridges, performance-wise the 10 round magazines that I've got for my G17, G19 and G21 have been operationally flawless (but the fully-loaded G21 magazines are particularly hard to load into a G21 when the slide is forward in battery, due to the miniscule amount of flex available. You really have to slam those suckers in...).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I have two Gen 4 SCDs and no Gen 4s. Maybe I should get rid of them but I’m thinking I’ll get a couple of G21s to go with the SCDs. Decisions.

I’ve been pretty happy with my two Gen5 Glocks(G45,G19 MOS) BTF issues have finally been resolved with the breechface cut, right now, about the only pistol I could get interested in buying would be a Gen 5 G21, MOS if possible. I had several Gen4 guns.. all of them had ejection issues. I’m not going to miss the Gen4 series..

While handling my first Gen4 was a eureka moment, in that Glocks finally fit my hands, paving the way to my being able to switch to 9mm Glocks as my “orthopedic/old man” pistols, as soon as my then-chief OK’ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge, the Gen5 seems to be an acceptable substitute, except for that absolutely worthless “ambidextrous” slide stop lever that gets in my way, while shooting LEFT-handed. Yes, as a lefty, I do value the right side of the weapon being CLEAN and SLICK. Thankfully, someone invented grinding/cutting tools. (Yes, for those who have noticed, I have mostly carried on my right hip, over the years, but with my right thumb, hand, wrist, and shoulder not aging well, most of my centerfire handgun shooting now happens left-handed, and it is probably just a matter of time until my left side becomes my default “primary” carry side.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I know glock has said they will continue to support parts etc.. Recently I was looking for a slide lock lever spring part #8073. All of the normal places to buy glock parts show them back ordered. This spring only fits gen4. I also looked at a gen 4 smooth trigger and noticed a few places having them back ordered. I don't know if this is a sign of things to come. I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I know glock has said they will continue to support parts etc.. Recently I was looking for a slide lock lever spring part #8073. All of the normal places to buy glock parts show them back ordered. This spring only fits gen4. I also looked at a gen 4 smooth trigger and noticed a few places having them back ordered. I don't know if this is a sign of things to come. I hope not.
    Everything is selling out right now due to COVID.

User Tag List