Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 for RDS Platform

.22 for RDS Platform

I’ve recently added a 507k to my 365XL to try this RDS pistol thing out. Initial results are promising but I definitely have some of the traditional RDS problems with letting the wobble bother me and jerking the trigger “Right now”.

My .22lr stash dwarfs my 9mm stash and with the current state of ammo I’d like to preserve 9 if possible.

All of that to say, are there any RDS compatible 22s out there? Is slide mounting an option or is the round too weak to cycle with the extra weight? What would be the options for frame mounted?

I’m leaning towards something with more of a defensive trigger than a Mark 4 since I am trying to work jerking the trigger. I have a P250, an AA Glock kit and an original M&P22 that could be a slide or frame donor. I’m also open to suggestions for other options.

A RDS can be mounted on the DA/SA Ruger SR22. I personally do not have experience with the SR22, but a shooting buddy has nothing but praise for his.

Ruger Mark IV 22/45. Sight over bore is high. However, put on a light and a can and it turns into a night time varmint killing machine. I'm sorry, this post probably didn't help you at all.

Name:  IMG_0919.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  67.7 KB

Mark Housel mounted an RMR on my original version M&P .22. Had to remove rear sight for slide cut, but it runs great, as long as it's well oiled. Also have a Ruger MK III .22/.45 with RMR, but it has a very light target trigger installed. Of the two, the M&P better simulates the Sig set up. And the .22 will definitely reveal any trigger issues that the 9mm recoil might hide. My "help" is to keep mentally thinking "p-r-e-s-s" to avoid the "NOW!" problem. And it transfers nicely to the centerfire, albeit with the need for occasional refreshing.

In addition to the Ruger mentioned:
    S&W Victory
    Beretta Neo

I had an old Ruger MKII target in the safe for 30 years that was collecting dust. I sent it to Ruger to install a rail for a RDS. They did a great job and the cost was minimal, under $50 IIRC. The newer ones are already tapped for rails/RDS. The sights don't have to be removed. Either find an old MKI-III or buy a new one. No slide to worry about because they don't have one. The new MK's aren't as well made as the older MK's but the take down is 10x better.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-17-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If CZ pistols appeal, CZ makes Kadet .22 LR conversion kits for many models. Only part of the slide is used for the blowback operation, so that design is a good choice for an RDS. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-kad...-omega-system/

I would probably stick to the tried and true guns for RDS mounting. The Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark would be my picks. These guns work well, period, and won't be affected by an MRDS. Yea, the sight will sight high, relative to your 365. But the general idea is both eyes open and learning to live with the wobble.

My current is a Smith 22A (an older slab-sided barrel model) with a Deltapoint on top. The new Smith Victory doesn't look too bad, but I have no actual experience with it. It looks functionally highly similar to the 22A which works well with decent ammo in it.

Since I shoot a 1911 most days a 22/45 is fairly high on my list of "Should probably buy one." - Yet I somehow manage to find other things to spend money on...

The Advantage Arms Glock kit uses traditional Glock sight dovetails. If I was in your position I would just get one of the red dot sight mounts that use the Glock dovetail. I think Trijicon makes some of those adapters. That would save you paying to have something milled or buying a different pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    The Advantage Arms Glock kit uses traditional Glock sight dovetails. If I was in your position I would just get one of the red dot sight mounts that use the Glock dovetail. I think Trijicon makes some of those adapters. That would save you paying to have something milled or buying a different pistol.
    This was my basic finding after doing some reading last night. I’ll probably use the M&P22 because I prefer the Smith to the Glock but the dovetail mount seemed to get fair recommendations. Other popular option was a “frame” mounted that wrapped around the slide and attached on the rail.

User Tag List