Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used Dillon 550

Site Supporter

Used Dillon 550

I found a used Dillon 550 on gunbroker yesterday the seller says that he selling off equipment from his brother's estate.

He didn't have the model number a, b or c. But it has the powder measure and 6 primer tubes. I also bought 4 tool heads from him. I asked about shell plates but all he said that he had was dies. The price was good so I didn't want not act on it. It was a buy now auction.

So I think I need to get 4 shell plates (9mm,. 45acp , 380 and 38/357) and locator buttons.

I should be able to use my existing Lee dies and powder measure / case expansion dies correct?

Is there anything else I may need to get it set up and running?

I know that there is a lot of aftermarket parts available, but I figured I would wait until I had up and running before worrying about that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The powder dies, no.

The dillon has its own powder drop die that also has a holds an expander which combines both actions with one pull. The expander itself for each specific caliber comes with the shellplate conversion kit. The powder die is universal for all calibers so you would need 4 of them if you want each plate set up and ready to go.

The other dies will work just fine.

You also need to make sure you have a large and small primer/tube assembly as they are different and the powder bar for pistol/rifle is different as well.

I think that you'll need this, but please research what you will need to use that Lee Perfect powder measure on a Dillon. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy a Dillon powder measure.
    #RESIST

A call to Dillon may be helpful in getting any missing parts to make it whole. They will often send small parts out for no charge. They can also refurbish the whole press for a nominal fee...

Shell plates can often be used for more than one caliber. Same with locator buttons and sometimes powder dies/expanders. Standard dies will work, but you might find some brands work better than others. The Dillon powder measure is really the way to go.

You certainly need shell plates and buttons. (.380 and .223 use the same set.)
    You can use Lee dies, but you would do well to get some of the skinny Dillon lock rings and wrench. Older Lee dies have very short threads and people were doing things like putting the lock ring on the bottom of the head.

The Lyman sizing die in my .38 Special head is a bit fiddly. Dillon dies have a lot of mouth radius to let cases self align in the sloppy shell plate. This saves a lot of fuss but can give trouble with chambering of cases expanded way back. I have Lee/EGW "U" dies for such occasions in 9mm and .45. I use Lee CFC die on 9mm and have one for cleanup of bulgy 45s. I use Hornady Microjust seating dies for easy adjustment of OAL.

I have read of but not done or seen adaptations of Lee powder measures to Dillon presses, maybe you could find something on Benos.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 07-02-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

FYI:

https://brianenos.com/dillon-rl-550b...ference-chart/

If you've got a Dillon measure, you can work with just one. They're kind of a PITA to adjust, but if you do large runs of one caliber before switching it's not a big deal. The one cheap aftermarket part to buy is a plastic knob to go on the adjustment bolt. I've bought them at Ace, Home Depot, and on Amazon. If you mark them, at least you have a reference.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ent-Knob/page2

This is not cheap, but well worth it if you load where your wife will find expended primers:

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1346-550
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post

I should be able to use my existing Lee dies and powder measure / case expansion dies correct?
    Yes. The only issue(s) you may run into is the length of the dies and the clearance to run the powder measure with the Dillon tool head.

If the expander/powder die is too short to screw in and run the lock ring on top you can try putting the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head. Another option is taking the rubber o-ring off or turning the lock ring upside down when you tighten it down against the tool head. That should give you a tiny bit more bit if you need it.

The Lee disk powder measure itself has kind of a big footprint where the disk rides back and forth but you should be able to turn the powder measure so that it faces outward on the press. This should allow it to clear the sizing die, seating die, etc. Another option might be to get the Lee Auto Drum. It is more linear in shape and might give better clearance. In either case, Lee makes a spacer die that screws into the top of the expander die. It will give you a little more height if your measure is too low and is hitting other dies.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all of info! There is a Dillon powder measure coming with my purchase. Just figured it would be easier to work with some of the equipment that I have and know how it works. Once I get it and setup I'll figure out what I may need.

My biggest problem with my current Lee setup is the priming. From what I have read the 550 is better, but some say that it can get gunked up from the spent primers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    FYI:

https://brianenos.com/dillon-rl-550b...ference-chart/

If you've got a Dillon measure, you can work with just one. They're kind of a PITA to adjust, but if you do large runs of one caliber before switching it's not a big deal. The one cheap aftermarket part to buy is a plastic knob to go on the adjustment bolt. I've bought them at Ace, Home Depot, and on Amazon. If you mark them, at least you have a reference.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ent-Knob/page2

This is not cheap, but well worth it if you load where your wife will find expended primers:

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1346-550
    Thanks for links that chart helps a lot!

Site Supporter
    I only use Lee dies in my Dillon 550 - pistol and rifle. I use Lee powder disc powder drops for pistols. Have fun

User Tag List