Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are these guys in Provo?

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The church does use security services, but there is no "private militia".
    Name:  OfficerMalone.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  62.0 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

All I can say is -if you're being chased by an unruly Vegas mob towards Utah. Slow way down when you come to any bridges.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I live 38 miles from Provo and I had zero idea any of this was going on.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

The Mormons would not need to work very hard to create a viable militia. My non scientific study says that they serve in the military at a much higher rate than the general population does. It seems they primarily choose reserve and national guard units in Utah, with the highlights being 19th group HQ and an entire Intel Brigade taking advantage of their language skills.

In my experience training them, they are extremely squared away Soldiers with nice families. I recommend finagling a dinner invite. Anyone choosing to screw around with the LDS folks in UTAH does so at their own peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Nice catch. A snippet from http://www.7witnesses.com/uploads/3/...c_symbol_2.pdf :

The Mystic Symbol - Ancient American Monogram for Christ
    [...]
    The symbol is made of five nails (with heads) serving as the cuneiform letters “I H S”. [...] The letters “I H S”
    are the first three letters of the Greek name for “Jesus” (Iota, Eta and Sigma), or in Latin “Jesus, Savior of Men.”

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    The Mormons would not need to work very hard to create a viable militia. My non scientific study says that they serve in the military at a much higher rate than the general population does. It seems they primarily choose reserve and national guard units in Utah, with the highlights being 19th group HQ and an entire Intel Brigade taking advantage of their language skills.

In my experience training them, they are extremely squared away Soldiers with nice families. I recommend finagling a dinner invite. Anyone choosing to screw around with the LDS folks in UTAH does so at their own peril.
    I grew up in a heavily Mormon area and have worked/served with quite a few. My experiences with them 100% as well.

Just wish more of them would enjoy a beer with me.

All this talk made me remember this move - Pretty good flick with Moses as Brigham Young.

Last edited by Suvorov; 07-03-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    ...an entire Intel Brigade taking advantage of their language skills.

Just a minor quibble here...the 300th MI Brigade HQ and two of the battalions are in UT, but there are several other battalions across the country. I spent 21 years in the battalion in LA.

There is a disproportionately high percentage of LDS folks in Army Military Intelligence, and that's to our country's great benefit. They're great people to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Name:  OfficerMalone.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  62.0 KB
    That's a great meme from a great movie. But the line is actually "If you believe that, I'll tell you another."

Anyways, I grew knowing a lot of Mormons, both in Boy Scouts and at my school. Almost all of them were into martial arts and guns, so I got along with them really well. If there is a Mormon militia, and it wouldn't surprise me at all, I would take them pretty seriously.

My dentists are all Mormons, (brothers and brothers-in-law). I do my best to not piss them off.

Have drill, will travel reads the card of a man,

A Mormon dentist in a savage land...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I got a hard look and a nod from one of the security detail guys for president Monson a few years back at a play I attended. He came in a side door, with a couple of other folks, and IIRC, a three man security team. He sat a few rows in front of me, and his main security guy stood off to the left in the isle for the duration of the play. Fairly obvious body armor, radio earpiece, and a bulge at the hip. He was obviously switched on, scanning the crowd the whole time.

When the play was over, they took him out the side door he came in, and Monson briefly visited with some folks that followed him out, hoping to get a chance to speak with him. And then they quietly left after a few minutes. Its fairly obvious they took his security seriously, even in a low threat environment in a smaller town in Utah.

All that said... I highly doubt these armed dudes were anything officially sanctioned by the LDS church... but there are plenty of members with military background, and probably a small percentage of those have some inclination to become "concerned citizens" at events like this. I wouldn't read too much into a couple patches.

User Tag List