Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What replaced the Colt 6920 in the minds of he experts

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Tac II is a great gun but is is a premium gun, not a baseline like the 6920.
    There are or were FN Tac II kalifornia compliant models floating around for $899. These have a Surefire comp rather than FN flash hider and the Hera featureless stock which uses a carbine receiver extension. Swap the stock, add a pistol grip and you'll be into the FN for about $1000. Arguably the best AR deal going if you can find one.

@ssb ( or anyone else that’s had one), still happy with that East India upper? I’m planning to get or build a backup/spare for my BCM and the East India is on my list of possibilities.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Bringing this back up because Primary Arms has the 6920 OEM2 on sale this weekend for $835.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Bringing this back up because Primary Arms has the 6920 OEM2 on sale this weekend for $835.
    It was $734 with the 12% off Memorial Day weekend.

Regarding your other question- SOLGW stuff is solid, on par with Colt and BCM.

Of course it was cheaper when I wasn’t looking! Then again I wasn’t looking this time either, I just happened to stumble across it.

Thanks I knew SOLGW had a good rep but I wasn’t sure if some of their product lines took a QA hit when they took off in popularity.

GT still has them for $750, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

While I think the 6920 is a good option, it tends to be a bit dated, and is missing features that I prefer.

- midlength gas system
    - quality free floated rail
    - barrel capable of sub MOA with match ammo
    - Larue MBT or similar trigger
    - MOE grip or similar
    - ambi controls aren't mandatory but I'm starting to like how they operate on my current AR.

Still, they may be a good choice for someone as a patrol carbine or a KISS home defense tool.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    My Sionics Patrol Rifle upper was probably the best bang-for-buck general purpose assembled upper I've ever purchased (very best bang for buck was the 20" wilson bbl RRA predator pursuit upper I got for like $350....). That said Sionics did hike their prices a lot since I bought mine, so may not be the same steal these days

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    GT still has them for $750, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

While I think the 6920 is a good option, it tends to be a bit dated, and is missing features that I prefer.

- midlength gas system
    - quality free floated rail
    - barrel capable of sub MOA with match ammo
    - Larue MBT or similar trigger
    - MOE grip or similar
    - ambi controls aren't mandatory but I'm starting to like how they operate on my current AR.

Still, they may be a good choice for someone as a patrol carbine or a KISS home defense tool.
    Remembering what the price was two years ago, it's tempting to roll up to Austin and grab an OEM1. The OEM2, as you point out, comes up inferior to my existing guns and needs significant additional expense to complete it as a quality item. An OEM1 would check the box of the pony, and would be ready to run as an iron-sight classic with a hundy or so of BCM and Magpul furniture thrown at it. Wouldn't expect it to do anything better, but would be different and something I've never messed with. And I'm kind of attracted to the "moo cow f@<& milk," back to basics simplicity of the classic configuration. So far, that hasn't been enough reason.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

$750: Colt OEM-2
    $150: Troy M-LOK 13" Handguard
    $55: BCM Mod 0 Stock
    $18: BCM Mod 3 Grip
    $7: BCM Trigger Guard
    ----
    $980 and about 5 minutes to install those parts.

I get it, not the "greatest". Not mid-length. Not an A5 receiver extension. Not the best trigger or ambi controls. Not any other number of things we each might prefer.

It's still Colt quality with a bomb proof gas block, good barrel, good BCG and internals. Carbine-length specs, so max parts compatibility for spares and long term maintenance.

I see it as a good barebones option that fulfills at least basic needs, and that I don't have to care about or lose sleep over. A beater or a modern day truck gun as it were.

I wish Colt would do OEM models with both an HBAR profile and pencil profile.
    The Gov profile annoys me, especially as its essentially the only option from Colt at the moment.

User Tag List