Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pistol brace?

Which pistol brace?

What do people like for pistol braces? I would like to hear peoples experiences. I am looking at the Sba3 and Tailhook Mod 2. It looks like the Tailhook uses a proprietary receiver. Otherwise it seems better. Thanks in advance.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up an SBA3 awhile back. The receiver extension it comes with has defects in the material that must severely weaken it. I wanted to keep it as a souvenir of just how crappy things can get, but ensure that it would never be used, so I cut off the threads. Had a BCM tube in the box o' parts, so it's paired up with that for now.

The brace itself seems OK. I did some trimming and softening of edges to make it more comfortable to use.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    What do people like for pistol braces? I would like to hear peoples experiences. I am looking at the Sba3 and Tailhook Mod 2. It looks like the Tailhook uses a proprietary receiver. Otherwise it seems better. Thanks in advance.
    SBA3 and A4 are pretty good, SBA4 is a just a little bit longer. I haven't tried the Tailhooks yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I like the SBA4 better. It's just a smidge longer, and I can't back this up with science but it "feels" better. I don't dislike my A3's, I'm not swapping them out for A4's, but if I was buying one today it'd be an A4. I also have Phase 5 straps on all of them, stiffens them up a fair amount vs the factory strap.

I've been happy with my SBA3 so far.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Deciding to go all-in on this pistol thing, I picked up an SBA3 to pair with a DDM4 V7 11.5” upper. Only having put it all together last night, I can’t speak to long term, but initial impressions are good.

Site Supporter
    Went from the early Shockwave blade brace on a smooth pistol tube to a Gearheadworks Tailhook Mod 2.
    I absolutely love the Tailhook mod 2, 1000% better than the Shockwave blade. My only complaint is that in the 'closed' position the tailhook is pretty wide, more so than a normal stock.

Not a problem for a conventional install, but wide enough that I'm concerned about total width if folded with a LAW folding adapter. That had me considering the SBA4 for when I finally get around to getting a LAW folding adapter, but given current shortages of that stuff, I'll stick with what I have for now quite happily.

I've owned the SBA3, SBA4, Tailhook Mod 1 and Mod 2.

The SBA3, even with the Splitflix strap upgrade, gets floppy when in use when pulled tight into your shoulder and shooting from unconventional positions where the bottom of the brace will be in contact with your shoulder.

The SBA4 is more rigid than the A3, but it can still get floppy.

The Tailhook Mod 2 is in my opinion the best all around brace, no rubber, no straps to deal with. Just solid, and adjustable.

The Tailhook Mod 1 is great for pistol tubes. I ordered one because I'm an idiot and accidentally ordered the VLTOR A5 pistol tube kit instead of the 7 position kit when I was assembling my backpack AR lower. With the Law Folder and A5 receiver extension, the LOP is equivalent to running a stock on the second position out.

@JRB the Tailhook Mod 2 and SBA3 are both 2" at their widest point, the Mod 1 is slightly narrower, like maybe 1/16th". I no longer have the SBA4 to measure but it sure felt wider to me.

The SBA4 is wider than the A3 but I'm not at home to measure them. There are plenty of videos on YouTube comparing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List