Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virginia Dems draft proposal to downgrade assault on police to misdemeanor

TBH, after reading the article, I’m not even sure the proposal to downgrade charging is even the worst idea they came up with.

The perception of police and agents by the prosecutors and courts sometimes requires a reminder to those good folks.

I used to work frequently with an AUSA who I was friendly with. (Both she and her husband were AUSA's, and we'd socialized with them outside of work once or twice.)

When she'd be on a phone call while myself and another agent were in her office, she'd frequently refer to us as "her agents". I would remind her upon the conclusion of her call, that we were not "her agents", she was "our prosecutor".

We brought her the case, not vice versa, and the matter would not exist but for our doing so. That she was selected to bring the case forward in court on our behalf did not somehow make us "her agents".

Similarly, and coincidentally, her father became the chief judge and though a very competent judge, he ruled his court with an iron fist and cowed many a prosecutor.

One day, on a narcotics case, he got aggravated with the AUSA and defense counsel during pre-trial motions and to punish them...told them to be ready to pick a jury that very day. This made no one happy as neither side was prepared to do so.

I asked the judge if I could speak and he gave me permission to address the court. I told the judge that if he'd put me on the stand and allowed the AUSA and defense to question me, I was certain we'd get a plea deal that day.

He looked at me like I had lost my mind departing from my lane as I had. But, he decided to call my bluff.

We had a guilty plea and deal within the hour and the judge was able to make his tee time.

Sometimes our "betters" need to be reminded who we are.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They're only cops, after all. They're supposed to take one for the team.
    It is one thing to try to protect the criminals from being roughed up, but stuff like this seems almost like they are encouraging fighting with the police. I am having a hard time seeing the positive side.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Vending Machine Operator
    The perception of police and agents by the prosecutors and courts sometimes requires a reminder to those good folks.

I used to work frequently with an AUSA who I was friendly with. (Both she and her husband were AUSA's, and we'd socialized with them outside of work once or twice.)

When she'd be on a phone call while myself and another agent were in her office, she'd frequently refer to us as "her agents". I would remind her upon the conclusion of her call, that we were not "her agents", she was "our prosecutor".

We brought her the case, not vice versa, and the matter would not exist but for our doing so. That she was selected to bring the case forward in court on our behalf did not somehow make us "her agents".
    Thanks for the practice pointer. I do sometimes use the "my officers/troopers" language but have generally meant it fraternally/protectively (i.e., "No, your client is not getting rid of the interference when he made my officer wrestle him for 10 minutes) but I never realized it might be being perceived as possessive/condescending. I will adjust my phrasing.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Thanks for the practice pointer. I do sometimes use the "my officers/troopers" language but have generally meant it fraternally/protectively (i.e., "No, your client is not getting rid of the interference when he made my officer wrestle him for 10 minutes) but I never realized it might be being perceived as possessive/condescending. I will adjust my phrasing.
    I have a great deal of respect for the prosecutors out there, especially ones I've worked with. They've won every case I brought to trial through them. I've only had one or two, (as with defense counsel), that I lost respect for due to some actions I thought outside the spirit of the law.

It's an understandable mistake, LB, and I totally get that it can be completely innocent. But LEOs have pride, just like other professionals. We do what we do oftentimes in spite of the money. (Though as a fed, I had no cause to bitch.)

Which is why, not intending to insult the attorney, when defense counsel approached me during a break in a trial and complimented me by telling me I'd be a good attorney...and continued pushing it, (to the point where I felt he was telling me it was a big step up from where I was as an agent)...I replied by telling him that the only problem with that was "how would I sleep at night?". He didn't think it was funny, and I kind of felt bad for cutting him off at the knees like that. But...we take pride in our work. It's that simple.

Knowing you have a brother who is an LEO, I have no doubt that you'd never knowingly disparage an honest LEO.

Vending Machine Operator

Which is why, not intending to insult the attorney, when defense counsel approached me during a break in a trial and complimented me by telling me I'd be a good attorney...and continued pushing it, (to the point where I felt he was telling me it was a big step up from where I was as an agent)...I replied by telling him that the only problem with that was "how would I sleep at night?". He didn't think it was funny, and I kind of felt bad for cutting him off at the knees like that.
    He was wrong, that is hilarious right there. That's just a natural consequence of assuming someone wishes they were you.

Edit: As an addendum, one of the Sergeants of the local PD went to law school, got his JD, prosecuted for 1 year, quit, and went right back to the street. Liked it better by a mile.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    He was wrong, that is hilarious right there. That's just a natural consequence of assuming someone wishes they were you.

Edit: As an addendum, one of the Sergeants of the local PD went to law school, got his JD, prosecuted for 1 year, quit, and went right back to the street. Liked it better by a mile.
    Several agents and police officers I worked with went to law school at night. Oftentimes just for promotion potential within the agency, other times because the grass is greener and the lure of money.

I don't remember any of them doing it because it was a "calling" though it may have been.

I think I might have enjoyed it...but I was never motivated enough to pursue it. I always enjoyed testifying in court and beating the defense at their own game.

In Arizona it’s a felony to assault police, firefighters, nurses, county attorneys, and judges etc. One guess which profession the county attorney charging standards result in routine dropping of felony assault charges and referral to city courts for misdemeanor charges. Unless there’s serious injury or the use of a weapon you can guarantee it. When questioned by media the County Attorney will deny it and say they’re tough on it.

City Courts aren’t any tougher on it then Superior Courts. The ironic thing is if they were seriously tough on it and sent people to jail for misdemeanor assaults on PD the willingness to do it would drop. If people knew they assault an Officer they get at least 30 days in County the deterrence is there.

There was one Judge in our city who I wouldn’t call anti-police but was one who didn’t appear to like us much. He’d look for the slightest things to rule against your case. That changed one day when he said something the defendant didn’t like and said defendant charged the bench and started climbing it while giving every appearance of wanting to rip the Judge’s head off. The two off duty Officers called for the cavalry and fought the suspect in open court and took him in custody. The Judge liked cops after that day.

Assault a Judge, a county attorney, or prosecutor you’ll be looking at some hard core charges. You assault a cop the same way it’s part of your job. I know I’ve posted this before but I’ve told suspects in ERs while they’re getting treated for a dog bite you’ll get serious probation for assaulting me and resisting arrest but for assaulting my dog you’re looking at 1-3 DOC...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Assault a Judge, a county attorney, or prosecutor you’ll be looking at some hard core charges. You assault a cop the same way it’s part of your job.
    A good point here, which also resonates for me in the Qualified Immunity debate. The target is on our backs to make us personally liable in civil suits...but at what point could we expect a judge or prosecutor to be held personally liable for letting a violent felon loose who re-offends and murders someone?

Fer fuck's sake. I thought in 2019 (and posted it) that it was getting real tough to be a cop these days. Then 2020 comes along and says "Hold my beer." Shit.

Cat

User Tag List