Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Check out the 2nd generation Micros (H-2, T-2, CompM5) if you're buying "fresh". While the juice might not be worth the squeeze to upgrade for someone who already owns a T-1/H-1, the 2nd gen micros have better red dot clarity for astigmatism. Some people get a pretty good improvement in red dot clarity over the older Aimpoints.

Keep in mind that unlike the Eotech and its shit battery life, the battery life of the Aimpoint means that battery commonality isn't an issue to begin with since you only need to change them once every few years.
    I honestly believe Aimpoint’s battery life thing is one of the most overhyped selling points in the gun industry. The brightness that nets the magical 50k hour battery life is barely useable in daylight or when using a light. Everyone loves WMLs with all the lumens but my 500 lumen scout light almost washes out that dot and every higher setting drastically reduces the battery life. The ideal brightness for all around use gives me something like a seven month battery life IIRC. I’ve picked up more dead Aimpoints than any other optics. Plus there are $150 optics that now match the battery life so it’s not even like they’re the only game in town anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not on patrol, but I'm in the fourth year of use on my H2's battery...(I wanted to see how long it will go), and I have an 800 lumen light on my rifle and can see the dot with the light and outdoors. I want to say I have it set around 6 or 7 but I'd have to check to be sure. No higher.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not on patrol, but I'm in the fourth year of use on my H2's battery...(I wanted to see how long it will go), and I have an 800 lumen light on my rifle and can see the dot with the light and outdoors. I want to say I have it set around 6 or 7 but I'd have to check to be sure. No higher.
    I have a habit of changing every single battery in the house on New Year's Day. Smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, weapon lights, RDS, optics, rangefinders, flashlights, TV remotes, etc.

It works out fairly well, since Battery Junction always has a good sale on Black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a habit of changing every single battery in the house on New Year's Day. Smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, weapon lights, RDS, optics, rangefinders, flashlights, TV remotes, etc.

It works out fairly well, since Battery Junction always has a good sale on Black Friday.
    I have the batteries...I just wanted to see how long it would last.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I honestly believe Aimpoint’s battery life thing is one of the most overhyped selling points in the gun industry. The brightness that nets the magical 50k hour battery life is barely useable in daylight or when using a light. Everyone loves WMLs with all the lumens but my 500 lumen scout light almost washes out that dot and every higher setting drastically reduces the battery life. The ideal brightness for all around use gives me something like a seven month battery life IIRC. I’ve picked up more dead Aimpoints than any other optics. Plus there are $150 optics that now match the battery life so it’s not even like they’re the only game in town anymore.

You're comparing apples to oranges. It's still better than similarly unusable brightness level used for battery rating of an Eotech that, at most, only lasts a few thousand hours, and at useable levels in daytime light need to be replaced every week compared to your 7 months for the Aimpoint.

The thread topic was about duty-grade optics, AFAIK, so I didn't think we were talking about $150 optics.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

the battery life of the Aimpoint means that battery commonality isn't an issue to begin with since you only need to change them once every few years.
    Yeah, but when you need one you need the one that fits, and would rather not have one thing that requires one thing that uses a thing nothing else does, rather than just get something else that uses the 2032 (ETA: Including even the car key fobs).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-06-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

You're comparing apples to oranges. It's still better than similarly unusable brightness level used for battery rating of an Eotech that, at most, only lasts a few thousand hours, and at useable levels in daytime light need to be replaced every week compared to your 7 months for the Aimpoint.

The thread topic was about duty-grade optics, AFAIK, so I didn't think we were talking about $150 optics.
    It may be better than a similar brightness from EOTech but if I have to adjust the brightness when picking up the gun it’s really no different than turning the optic on so it’s not really that different. The question to me is whether or not it’s usable when picking up the gun, regardless of environment and without any manipulation.

And I believe there are a number of big names stating that Holosuns are solid including Yeti, Aaron from Sage, John Lovell, etc.

I’m not saying that the advantage isn’t there, it is and that’s why I have a T2. But it’s not nearly the advantage that the internet has made it out to be. Brightness level six or whatever it is that has the 50k hour battery life isn’t completely worthless, but if I have to use it in a life threatening scenario, I don’t want barely adequate illumination, especially from a $700 red dot. That’s even more true when my wife is the one using the gun.

I don't think I understand what you're on about.

I set mine at a higher, useable level.

That's not 50,000 hours of battery life anymore, but it's still significantly longer than an EoTech at a similar intensity level.

There's no reason that you have to keep the Aimpoint on at a lower level, and adjust it up when you grab the gun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have a H1 on an ADM mount. The iron sights are always in place and when the dot is on it sits on the front sight post of the 6920. I like it and don't find it annoying even with a certain amount of astigmatism. Historically I seem to run about 200-300 rounds through the gun yearly and it's not a work gun.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I currently have a 1500 lumen Fury DF on my work gun and run my H-1 at level 8 at night (10 during the day)...it does not get washed out. I use level 8 instead of 7 because on 8 with the 1500 lumens I can still see the dot on the white door of my Patrol vehicle when I’m standing 3-5’ away from it, 7 washes out inside of 5’ but is fine outside of that...I’ve had to hold people at gunpoint in vehicles in that range so 8 it is. I don’t see how 500 lumens could wash out any of the Aimpoint micros. My H-1 is beat to shit and is on 9-10 hours a day 5 days a week, I think I’ve changed the battery on it once or twice just for kicks in the last 6-7 years...

The eotech auto off thing and battery life is not blown out of proportion...it sucks, out loud. I know of one shooting it played a part in (squared away Officer put up his irons and handled business) and I’ve gotten into a couple foot pursuits while dicking with one that had shut off during a long shift, luckily when I had one issued before getting my H-1 I always checked it when I deployed with a long gun and didn’t need to go loud. I will never use an electronic optic with an auto shut off on a duty weapon. Ever.

User Tag List