Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

I have a couple EOTECH 516s, a discontinued model that takes two CR123s. I have always really liked the reticle and always thought the auto shutdown hate was a bit over rated, but I have been getting back into more organized competition and last month shot 3gun for the first time and laying in a case on a bench waiting on the next stage was long enough for the damn thing to shut off. I have a couple of Romeo5s (that shake awake) and have started to think my love for the big red donut was maybe over rated, and maybe the single dot is just fine. And after using the SIG on a couple of guns the EOTECH starts to look kinda clunky, even if that is just perception. But damn the H-2 is ~$750, and the PRO takes a battery that nothing else I am going to have takes.

I am glad I caught this thread because I was overlooking the MRO until:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Trijicon MRO on a Geissele mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    2moa MRO on a Geissele 1.93"
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Trijicon MRO here.
    So I know everyone loves the Aimpoint Micros, but is there a downside to the MRO? Part of what I like about my EOTECH is they run on the same batteries as all of the flashlights I have (including some that might be mounted on the gun) but at this point the 2032s are common enough also.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It helps that I don't have to then pay the $700+ for a "micro".
    And yeah, an MRO without mount being $420 and a H-2 being $732 without mount is part of why I am asking.

I also like the notion that the dial is more accessible to my off hand. It is not as svelte as the H-2, but not as portly as what I am used to.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    So I know everyone loves the Aimpoint Micros, but is there a downside to the MRO?
    Some people will bring up the supposed fisheye / magnification issues, but I haven't found those to be any hindrance in my uses. Having previously owned an H1, T2, CompM5, pre-89k MROs and now two newer MRO's, I don't see a major downside of the MRO. It's 95% of the T2 for 50% the cost.

I won't upgrade a T1 to a T2, not enough gain.
    New buys: T2, if not an LPV.
    I'd upgrade a M2/M3/PRO to a T1 or T2, but usually those just get put on lesser used guns.
    T1/T2 has an H1/H2 companion if you want to save ~$50.
    Nothing against the M5, just haven't gotten there in a meaningful way yet and I like the smaller T2. M5S is available.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

So I know everyone loves the Aimpoint Micros, but is there a downside to the MRO? Part of what I like about my EOTECH is they run on the same batteries as all of the flashlights I have (including some that might be mounted on the gun) but at this point the 2032s are common enough also.
    In my opinion, the only real downside to the MRO at this point is the increase in parallax compared to the Aimpoint Micros. I'm not sure if it is because of the larger objective lens or something specific to the internals of that optic, but the difference is pretty significant in the video Aaron Cowan did.

Depending on your intended use, that may not matter to you at all though. I have an MRO on my CZ Scorpion where the parallax isn't as much of a concern to me, but still run Aimpoints on anything I may shoot further than 50 yards.

I still prefer the EXPS dots. I have one Aimpoint on the HD gun but have no plans to buy another since they’re overpriced AF. A new T2 or COMP M5 is almost as much as a used Razor 1-6. That’s ridiculous for something that’s just one red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    In my opinion, the only real downside to the MRO at this point is the increase in parallax compared to the Aimpoint Micros. I'm not sure if it is because of the larger objective lens or something specific to the internals of that optic, but the difference is pretty significant in the video Aaron Cowan did.
    Depending on your intended use, that may not matter to you at all though. I have an MRO on my CZ Scorpion where the parallax isn't as much of a concern to me, but still run Aimpoints on anything I may shoot further than 50 yards.
    I've run my MROs on very "practical" courses with A-zone sized steel at ranges out to 300 yds. I don't think the parallax is a significant concern, and suspect that the difference is mainly in the larger objective. I prefer the MRO to the Aimpoint T1. The T2 is really nice—noticeably better optics, and I’d like to have one at some point.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-06-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have an h2 because of the LE discount. If that wasn’t available I would have no problems running an mro. They seem to be durable from secondhand accounts and have a larger window if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Spent some time this weekend playing around with a few different prism scopes, a traditional 1x muzzle loader scope, and an Aimpoint H1.

I do get a bit of starburst with the dot, enough to be annoying, but the view through the Aimpoint is a crystal clear 1x and it provides a perfectly clear target view with both eyes open. With target focus, the starburst is small enough to still provide a good aiming point.
    Check out the 2nd generation Micros (H-2, T-2, CompM5) if you're buying "fresh". While the juice might not be worth the squeeze to upgrade for someone who already owns a T-1/H-1, the 2nd gen micros have better red dot clarity for astigmatism. Some people get a pretty good improvement in red dot clarity over the older Aimpoints.

Part of what I like about my EOTECH is they run on the same batteries as all of the flashlights I have (including some that might be mounted on the gun) but at this point the 2032s are common enough also.
    Keep in mind that unlike the Eotech and its shit battery life, the battery life of the Aimpoint means that battery commonality isn't an issue to begin with since you only need to change them once every few years.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I have 4 MRO’s, so that tells you how I feel. If you liked Eotechs, you can get the MRO with a circle/dot reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needed another RDS for a rifle and purchased the Scalarworks Pro combo. I couldn't be happier. I prefer the larger window and the Pro has the best looking dot for my eyes. The Scalarworks mount is awesome and a huge improvement over the factory mount. Only negative is the oddball battery but I found and added a factory extended battery cap to keep me covered for years.

User Tag List