Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

Aimpoint Micro H2, 2 MOA, 100 yard zero
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

2moa MRO on a Geissele 1.93", 100yds zero with 64gr Fusion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Aimpoint Micro H2, 2 MOA, 100 yard zero
    Same.

Mines in a scalar works mount.

I went from a Comp ML3 in a Bobro mount to this. It’s light weight and works great. Also, does well with my astigmatism.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Same.

Mines in a scalar works mount.

I went from a Comp ML3 in a Bobro mount to this. It’s light weight and works great. Also, does well with my astigmatism.
    Mine as well. I get a bit of starburst effect but it doesn't hurt anything.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Saving myself some money by passing this on to you suckers instead of acting on it myself:

SKD Tactical is running a 15% off special for the 4th TODAY. I'm guessing it is only on in-stock stuff, and they are out of stock on the Aimpoint Micro T-2 and the PRO (I got mine from them on a similar sale a couple years ago). They do have at least one of the H-2 2 MOA Micros (without a mount) in stock. I put one in a cart and it comes out to $622.20 pre-tax/shipping. Their flat rate shipping a very reasonable $5.

https://www.skdtac.com/

ETA: They also have Comp M5 in stock--$746 after discount.

If Aimpoint is a possibility, then Aimpoint is the answer.

Are you going to run a magnifier behind the RDS? If so, I'd pick the T-2 all day long. If not, a Pro runs great. I really like the Midwest Industries mount for it. Scalar is also great, but I like the cost efficiency of the MI.

I have three H-1's on shotguns, three Pro's on carbines, and another pair of T-1's on AR pistols.

And an ACRO on a G45 pistol that is on Lend-Lease to my favorite knifemaker.

You may want to seek out @Wayne Dobbs - he's sorta familiar with Aimpoint optics.

For a basic bitch red dot, I see absolutely no reason to get anything other than an Aimpoint. It's a no nonsense optic with an unrivaled track record. Personally, I like the larger tubes, and picked up a LNIB M4s on eBay for about the price of a PRO.

My degrading vision has me eyeing EOTechs, however, as they don't give me the diffraction spikes/startburst of LED based optics.

Trijicon MRO here.

Aimpoint Comp H-2 or CompM5s...if you want cheaper and size isn't an issue, the Aimpoint PRO.

I see no reason to buy new literally anything else on the market.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Spent some time this weekend playing around with a few different prism scopes, a traditional 1x muzzle loader scope, and an Aimpoint H1.

I do get a bit of starburst with the dot, enough to be annoying, but the view through the Aimpoint is a crystal clear 1x and it provides a perfectly clear target view with both eyes open. With target focus, the starburst is small enough to still provide a good aiming point.

The scopes all worked great, with nice, clear reticles when I closed the eye that was not aligned with them. However, I also had issues with lack of clarity to varying degrees with all of them when using both eyes open. The muzzle loader 1x is pretty darn close to a true 1x if it isn't actually 1x. Just holding it and moving it into my field of view, it seemed to be the best. The prism scopes are all <1x, which creates enough difference in the images between the eye looking through them and the other eye that I end up with two fairly distinct images of the target side by side when my brain aligns the scenes outside the objective view. Right eye is dominant. In general, the reticle would be aligned correctly with the image on the right, but occasionally, I found I had aligned it with the image on the left, which meant it was set up for a bad miss. If I worked on it, I could have varying degrees of success getting the images to merge at the aiming point, but then the reticle was no longer clear. The same was true with the muzzle loader scope, although less severe, once I rotated them all onto a firearm and tried them from a target acquisition position.

The worst of the prisms was the Bushnell BT71XPS LIL P 1X. https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/ta...U-BT71XPS.html
    That was disappointing, as I've thought for several years that it would be good for someone to make an Aimpoint Micro-ish-sized prism scope. Bushnell did just that, so I had to try it, but in reality, the Aimpoint smokes it even with my level of astigmatism.

I still need to do a lot more work, but I think where it's heading is Aimpoint when the capability of both eyes open is desired, as a situation where stuff can be happening fast and close may be expected. And keep the scope-type optics for times when the limited field of view and reduced speed of closing an eye is more acceptable. In which case, an LPVO may be significantly preferable to a <1x prism scope, in spite of the larger size.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List