Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

I am a fan of LPVO's on rifles, love my Steiner and my Accupoint, but I don't plan to run one on my registered SBR. My current military grade red dots are somewhat aged. and a couple of generations behind I suspect, all Aimpoint Comp C, M, or ML2 in 15+ year old GG&G mounts.

I have a Sig Romeo 5 and a comparable Vortex unit. Those are bright, clear, and I love the "wake up" feature on that Romeo 5. However those currently live on uppers I consider range toys. I am not sure how durable/reliable those scopes really are, although that distrust may not be justified.

Just seeking opinions here. If you were to go out and buy a "serious" non-magnified 4 moa or 2 moa red dot for a registered 11.5 AR SBR (e.g. Colt 6933) what would your first choice be today and why?

thanks

I’ve been using the Aimpoint micros for quite a while. Can’t get any more simple, put dot on thing, press trigger, no extraneous visual information. The H-1 on my work gun has been abused for the last 6 years daily, is beat to crap and works just fine. If you will be carrying your rifle from daylight to nighttime conditions or vice versa managing the dots brightness is much easier than with optics that use push button brightness settings. I use 10 for daylight and 8 for after dark with a 1500 WML, I can just reach over with the rifle still racked and move the brightness knob 2 clicks when it starts getting dark. Between the 2 & 4 MOA dots on my personal T-1s I prefer the 2 as it is a little cleaner to my eyes and gives a finer aiming point for distance and cleans up better for me when I use my 3x. I have found that during days with full value sunlight here in AZ I sometimes put the 2moa dot on 11 for close in targets but 10 works just fine. I hear the T-2 has some upgrades over the T-1 but to my eyes they look the same...YRMV
    Last edited by TCB; 07-01-2020 at 02:08 PM.

An Aimpoint Micro and a SBR/AR pistol go together like a Bozone Amber and .... well, almost anything.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I recently bought new optics for a couple of my rifles, and I chose the Aimpoint Pro in a Scalarworks LEAP/02 mount. Scalarworks bundles their mounts with Aimpoint Pros for a pretty decent price, considering the mount alone is $200, MSRP on the Aimpoint is $495, but you get the mount and Aimpoint for $520.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-d...ounts/leap-02/

The mount is pretty lightweight, and has the best attachment method of all the Aimpoint mounts I've used (ADM, Larue, Aimpoint factory, and GG&G).

I like the larger window on the Aimpoint Pro vs the T1/T2, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

I have Aimpoint H-1/4MOAs on both of my 6920s. I have an Aimpoint PRO on a 16" .300 BLK carbine. I'm just a guy, no professional responsibilities involving guns. I like the compactness and light weight of the Micros and I think that would be even more advantageous on an SBR. I prefer the 4MOA dot, as I find it easily visible even with the brightness reduced to 7-8 in full daylight. The PRO is a nice sight, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the Micro. I change batteries every 2 years, but I've never had a battery die.

Aimpoint Comp M5 on a Unity Tactical mount.

I'm really interested in the Shield Sights SIS (Brownell's has it)

@Maple Syrup Actual did a torture test of it, and had good things to say
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

My vote here and in real life is a CompM5. Printed a 2.5moa 5 round group at 200yd with 11.5 Sionics barrel and factory 64 Gold Dot loads
    Last edited by STI; 07-01-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    P320 - a whole lot of mehh topped off with a "don't drop it" cherry.

Trijicon MRO on a Geissele mount.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Unless I'm specifically trying to shave weight, I still like the larger tube of the 30mm Aimpoints. It helps that I dont have to then pay the $700+ for a "micro".

Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Reflex Sight with QRP2 Mount and Spacer - 2 MOA - 12841 - $445
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List