Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Your current choice for rifle, zero magnification red dot?

I feel this continually gets asked, but if given the choice, would people prefer a PRO, T2, or Comp M5 for a 14.5"-16" carbine? Let's assume they all would sit in a Scalarworks mount so nothing is over 10 oz.

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to ARs and all the stuff that goes with them. My FrankenTroy has an Aimpoint Comp M4s on top. This is a classic case of I got it, liked it, and it works for me out to 200 yards without magnification. I've given some serious thought to an LPVO or a 3X magnifier. I'm currently leaning towards the magnifier as a detachable alternative I can use as a field expedient monocular without pointing my rifle at things that don't need a rifle pointed at them. I have to give full attribution to @jlw for that thought.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I have had everything and any of the big names work. I like the Aimpoint tho. Yes, battery life is grossly exaggerated per spec (worst in the ACRO) but I still get a very long time on the micros we run our work guns (our whole team and department run aimpoints on all longguns). I have only seen one fail and aside from bad batteries they are very durable. The T1 on my workgun is a testament to how strong they are. I was on a flightline getting ferried to the helo by a MULE type off road vehicle and had my weapon slung sitting on the left side of the vehicle when my sling swivel failed. The gun hit the concrete flightline at 30-40mph hitting directly on the T-1. It ground most of the top adjustment cap off. I immediately took it to the range and guess what...it held zero. That was a year ago and I'm still using the same optic. I also have an old old T-1 on another rifle that just keeps chugging along...I trust it so much it's fixing to get repurposed to an offset mounting on work-precision AR.

Don't trust batteries. Even the best brands can be inconsistent as far as their lifespan and you rarely get a warning before they shit the bed. With the price of batteries being what they are buy in bulk and change often. On pre-planned ops I often (not every time if they are close together) just throw a new battery in everything to be sure. Oh, and run irons and know how to use them (good for rain/cold too!).

Site Supporter
    I didn't know about the MRO being available with the circle dot reticle. I loved my issued Eotech, when there was nothing else available other than the 2nd gen Aimpoints. Even SWAT was Irons only at the time. When I upgrade my Work LE6920 (almost 14 years old) with a LaRue SURRG I am seriously looking at replacing my 14 year old Comp ML3 with a micro or a LPVO. I have even toyed with the idea of the Acro or an RMR. MRO is now on the list.

Anyway, call me a fanboi, but any rifle with a Pic rail for optics gets LaRue mounts. I like the adjustable lever mount, the return to zero, and the battery storage. This kept me from the PRO with the integrated mount and more common battery that the agency buys and issues to my shooters (not my choice, but not a bad one to issue to cops). I have lost track of the number of times I have given my spare battery to another shooter in a class or even my cops, who should know better on duty or during a qual. I also run a Vltor clubfoot stock, with 2 more 1/3Ns and 4x CR123s in the stock tubes.

I was taught to replace batterys once a year, or as needed (got some truly shitty 1/3Ns in a four pack from Mr. Bezos one year, the local Battery Junction has been my go-to for a decade now, and not let me down), and have a spare in the mount, and check dot brightness (and lithium flashlight brightness) every day. I adjust my dot as necessary, but only turn the sight off when it physically comes off the gun (the local agency I help teach for requires a second, 8 hour class for optics after a 32 hour iron sighted rifle course).

It never occurred to me to care about whether an Aimpoint would hit the 50k hours mark, or how different setting reduce it. It fits my needs and my uses. I do, however, understand the point.

pat

Site Supporter
    Aimpoint T1 and T2 in AD mounts, zeroed to 100. Tried other options recently but came back to Aimpoint. Simplicity and bomb-proof reliability are hard to beat.

To me, the Aimpoint PRO is the point of diminishing returns. I don't think the extra money for a Micro of the M4 buys you much. I maintain a preference for a 30 mm tube as I like the bigger, more forgiving window.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I know it's sacrilegious in some circles, but I've been buying Primary Arms red dots for my serious-use guns the last couple of years. They've been working fine for me. The last Aimpoint I bought was an H-1, which is still going strong though.

I also prefer 30mm tubes to the micros, though I am playing with the SLx MD-25. It's compatible with micro mounts (I have it on a Large 660), is close to micro weight, takes 2032 batteries, has "50k hours" of battery life (though I leave it on setting 8, so I'll replace the battery every year), and has a larger 25mm tube. So far, it's a good compromise between the larger 30mm units and the micros. I'm really digging it.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...oa-dot-reticle.

ETA: I recently switched to a 100 yard zero. I've used 50/200 for a while, but find the zeroing process a bit simpler at 100, mostly because I don't own a spotting scope.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 98z28; 09-20-2020 at 09:12 PM.

I had struggled for years with my so called competition rifle. Prior to my last match, I decided to leave it behind and grabbed my defense use AR which currently has an Aimpoint Pro on it. It was the best rifle work I’ve ever done, and I’ve become a huge fan of that sight.

I can attest to what several others have said, there is something to the larger 30mm tube with red dots. I like the H1/T1 form factor just fine, but I really like the large TV like screen of the Holosun HS510C. Since rifles offer a cheek weld index point, it's not a huge advantage over the micro dots, but it's there. I find the HS510C to be my favorite red dot I've ever used on a carbine, and I'm satisfied with the durability for my use. I also have come to believe that the open emitter style is better on astigmatism than tube style enclosed dots just from observation and several others noticing the same thing. It requires more study to become a statement of fact. I think it might be the led reflecting off a single pane of glass instead of two. China is asshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And when I went there looking for the mount it turns out they have a pretty good deal on the MRO, basically the same price as the Trijicon co-witness mount (plus most places are out of stock on the sight):
    https://www.larue.com/products/triji...d-mount-combo/
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Update on this:
    I just casually went and checked the order status, because it sure seemed to me like all of the stuff was in stock, but now without any other communication the whole order is just listed as Backordered.
    Got a shipment email a bit ago. Dunno if that means they have inventory now or not, but they still show the MRO on the mount for $460.

User Tag List