Thread: 3 Malfs w/ 1 magazine Glock 30

3 Malfs w/ 1 magazine Glock 30

Hello,

I put 220 rounds through my Glock 30 Gen 4 at the range today. I have 7 magazines and experienced 3 malfunctions all with the same magazine, which was a 13-rd Glock 21 magazine. It's also a Glock brand magazine. 1 failure to lock the slide back after the last round, and 2 failure to feeds.

Weak magazine spring? Should I toss the mag or get a new spring?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Do you have more than one 13 round magazine? When I had a Glock 30 I had to be careful gripping the 13 round magazines because I'd push them enough to cause issues. Also, I think there is a different follower(updated one from Glock) that can be installed which may help.
    --Jason--

Toss it!

Glock mags are too cheap to be messing around with unreliable ones.

Another option spray paint the bottom half and use it for dedicated malfunction practice.

First, don't "toss" a Glock mag. Send the mag back to Glock for $7 or less in postage and Glock will either rebuild your mag or send you a new one (if you're in a non-mag-cap-ban-state; otherwise you'd get a 10-round G21 mag back).

2nd. You might as well buy a new mag and, later, spend time diagnosing the potential mag issue with your potential-problem-existing G21 mag, should you want to take the time.

Should you want to diagnose the existing mag, it's important to determine if it's an old style G21 mag or a later or current G21 mag.

For example, the #1304 follower is current (marked with a "4") unless it's an old G21 mag which would have a #3955 follower, instead. You might as well check what followers your regular G30 mags have while you're at it.

You could also need a new mag spring. The correct spring would depend on how old your mag is, too.

The last thing which comes to mind is if the slide-stop is other than a #5423 (marked 5427-1) and hasn't been replaced or changed to something different. Any different slide-stop may or may not work 100%.

You can find a warranty/return form here:
    https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Do you have more than one 13 round magazine? When I had a Glock 30 I had to be careful gripping the 13 round magazines because I'd push them enough to cause issues. Also, I think there is a different follower(updated one from Glock) that can be installed which may help.
    Yes, I have (2) 13-rd magazines but don't remember gripping the magazine, I'll pay more attention next time.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    First, don't "toss" a Glock mag. Send the mag back to Glock for $7 or less in postage and Glock will either rebuild your mag or send you a new one (if you're in a non-mag-cap-ban-state; otherwise you'd get a 10-round G21 mag back).

2nd. You might as well buy a new mag and, later, spend time diagnosing the potential mag issue with your potential-problem-existing G21 mag, should you want to take the time.

Should you want to diagnose the existing mag, it's important to determine if it's an old style G21 mag or a later or current G21 mag.

For example, the #1304 follower is current (marked with a "4") unless it's an old G21 mag which would have a #3955 follower, instead. You might as well check what followers your regular G30 mags have while you're at it.

You could also need a new mag spring. The correct spring would depend on how old your mag is, too.

The last thing which comes to mind is if the slide-stop is other than a #5423 (marked 5427-1) and hasn't been replaced or changed to something different. Any different slide-stop may or may not work 100%.

You can find a warranty/return form here:
    https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials
    The followers on my G21 mags are 1304. I did forget to mention that I have an aftermarket slide stop, which is marked 3020-1. The factory slide stop is marked 5427-1. I haven't experienced any issues with this aftermarket slide stop before, which I was cautious about because I had problems with a Glock 36 because of one. The magazine is the only variable so far that I'm suspicious of, but I'm not sure whats wrong with it. It looks identical to my other G21 mag.

Both of the springs in the Glock 21 mags are the same length and feel the same, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're within spec. Inside the magazines was typical carbon but nothing major and no sticky residue that should cause it to bind, but I'll clean them anyway. I want to figure it out, I like learning things especially about firearms.

Post_5,
    When I had a G30Gen4, I also used the extended #1034 slide-stop (marked 3020-1). For some unknown reason, Glock still doesn't list the extended slide-stop as being OK for the G30Gen4. Glock has upgraded this slide stop from being marked 3020-1, now to 3020-2. I don't know why there was a change or if this newer version of extended slide-stop will cure the problem or not, but it's another part change to try. You might, at least, try the original, non-extended, slide-stop with the problem mag the next time you're at the range.

Will do. Thanks for the great information, I'll look for a new slide stop also.

I shot 250 rounds today. 0 malfunctions. All I did was clean the magazines.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Hello,

I put 220 rounds through my Glock 30 Gen 4 at the range today. I have 7 magazines and experienced 3 malfunctions all with the same magazine, which was a 13-rd Glock 21 magazine. It's also a Glock brand magazine. 1 failure to lock the slide back after the last round, and 2 failure to feeds.

Weak magazine spring? Should I toss the mag or get a new spring?

Thanks
    Glad the cleaning fixed it but ultimately mags are consumables.

User Tag List