Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Direct me to good commo threads please

Direct me to good commo threads please

I know there here, and I did search for a good several minutes, but didnt find the info I was looking for, though I did find some.

I do plan on looking into my ham liscence, but I want a radio with power, and I wont be using it other than to test until I don't have to worry about breaking laws/regs.

What Im looking for:

All of this stuff is for on body carry.

Good encrypted radio thats affordable. Most of the info I'm finding leans towards the chinese models, baofeng or something similar.

Headset that will attach to an ops-core or similar. Prefer something that has the ability to pop out or rotate out like a comtac III. Leaning that direction unless theres a cheaper viable option. Would rather pay a few hundred and spend the rest on ammo.

PTT, single channel, compatible with most radio and headsets.

Good foldable antennae for this setup.

Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Welcome to the frustrating world of trying to press civilian radio stuff into what I assume is tactically minded use.

Let me preface all I say with this... Im not a radio nerd. Im an end user, with a technician HAM license, studying for my general right now. By studying, I mean I'm memorizing the answers to 454 questions because I find that easier than actually learning radio stuff. I've got guys for that.

What you're asking for doesn't really exist. You can get radios that are digital, and will sound like noise to someone on an analog radio, but they aren't truly encrypted. Also, encryption is not allowed on HAM freqs because the FCC says so. Its nonsense, but it is what it is.

BF's are cheap, almost disposable radios that will do a lot for the price. Unless they've finally cracked down on them, they can do a lot of out of band stuff that also isn't allowed by the FCC, which is why everyone loves them. Essentially due to the fact that they have too much power and a removable antenna, but they can be used on FRS and MURS freqs. Again, legally you're not supposed to.

The other HAM radios that you can get into are much more expensive, but increase in quality. Yaesu, etc.

As far as a headset, I am using Peltor Comtacs. Cheaper option is using something like a Howard Leight headset, and run audio cable to a parrot mic... Comtacs are worth it. The Push To Talk is now where things get complicated. You really need a boosted PTT to use a BaoFeng with Peltors. For that, I suggest Disco32. They are good dudes that will make sure you are taken care of and that your stuff will work. If you get a different radio, you'll have to do some research on what you need to make it work with your headset.

Good Foldable antenna... I have yet to find one that's really awesome. They sell the foldable antennas for the BF's, but they are large enough (and the BF poorly made enough) that you can fairly easily break the antenna connection point with one of those antennas. An extended "whip" style antenna is more flexible and lighter, and from reports from dudes on the other end of a radio, have better transmission quality. -1 larping point, but I really want my radio to work more than I need it to look like what I carried in Afghanistan.

Now to completely disregard my last sentence, I am looking at a radio like this... https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors...152/22-694849/ . Essentially a knock off Harris radio, but uses real accessories, and the newest models are said to be very sturdy.

What is your use case? Expected range? How many do you want? If you’re planning on comms with other people, you’re locked into whatever system they have.

I’m a Moto guy, and they can be quite affordable. But you haven’t given enough info to suggest anything.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Encryption over HAM is prohibited, except for transmission to a satellite.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Encryption over HAM is prohibited, except for transmission to a satellite.
    Most radios capable of true encryption are also able to prevent use of it on specified memory locations. I’ve seen some people argue that if the key is published, it’s allowed - I personally don’t agree.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

More info on intent/use.

Desired range: as much as possible, 5-10 miles would be awesome. More would be fantastic.

Primary use would be tactical, basically just in case.

No consideration needed for existing equipment, I'm doing the research for myself and others, we will all end up with the same gear.

True encryption isn't really necessary, just the ability to keep comms private from zombies.

Appreciate the responses so far, good info, anything additional is appreciated as well.

Oh, as far as quality, 3 for myself, north of a dozen for others, price isn't too much an issue under $500, will want to get spare batteries etc so expensive proprietary stuff is a concern.

You just aren’t going to see 5-10 mile range under normal conditions HT to HT without using a repeater which defeats your purpose.

I’d be looking at a manpack type rig that can do low band VHF and HF freqs. Maybe something like a Yaesu FT-817ND.
    Ken

Ken

What is a reasonable expectation of range for a handheld?

User Tag List