Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My son just left to see Navy recruiter.

My son just left to see Navy recruiter.

Just a few days ago my son told me he was planning on going to go to a Navy recruiter's office. He is 19, finished high school this spring, was homeschooled, Eagle Scout, certified lifeguard and holds a leadership position (Sergeant) in the local police Cadets. He is a good solid person!

He has attended a few shooting classes with me and is an accomplished shooter. He won the NorthEast Regional Cadet Pistol competition besting close to 400. Right when CODID kicked off one of his Cadet buddies called him from his job and said, "I'll bet if you come here this morning you could get a job on the spot." He did and has been working full time at a local gun store since. He fit in seamlessly and at the risk of blowing my own horn, I taught him well.

This morning one of his co-workers at the gun store just picked him up and they are both headed down to the Navy recruiter's office in New Haven. His co-worker is in his mid to late 20's, a former Marine with 2 deployments has the same aspirations as my son, Naval Special Warfare. I know, lofty goal!

Mom has no clue at the moment as my son asked me to keep this under my hat. She is dealing with her mom who just had her 2nd hip replaced Monday.

My son has been working out constantly. I knew something was up. He's got no issues with physical requirements for induction. I told him he needs to get into the water and really find out if he can swim thousands of meters without smoking himself.

Any advice for either him or me as his dad?

Congrats, John. It sounds like you've raised a good young man who will be a credit to any outfit he ends up within. I'll leave the advice to others.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    *resisting a multitude of inappropriate jokes*

Shop around unless he just really wants the Navy. Unless things have changed radically since I was in, different jobs in different branches often have different sign-up bonuses, different promotion potential, etc.

If it's not in writing, it's a lie.

Good for him.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Best of luck to your son. Thanks for sharing, always nice to hear some good news with the craziness going on. Hope your wife doesn't take it too hard regarding your son's dream.

NSW eh? Sounds like @Giving Back could lend some pointers, if he feels inclined to do so.

Best of luck to your son, sounds like he’s got a good foundation to build from for pursuing his goals!
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    *resisting a multitude of inappropriate jokes*

Shop around unless he just really wants the Navy. Unless things have changed radically since I was in, different jobs in different branches often have different sign-up bonuses, different promotion potential, etc.

If it's not in writing, it's a lie.

Good for him.
    I said what about the Army? Air Force? He said "Chair Force" jokingly. I said Para-Rescue, Combat Controller ... Or Army SF. For some reason he has SEALS stuck in his head.

I don't want to sow negative thoughts. I mentioned that there is probably some luck involved in making it through the SEAL pipeline. Injuries can get you rolled back and possibly eliminated. Then what needs of the Navy, chipping paint on an oilier ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean? I said my piece and am not going to push the what if's.

I told him not to sign anything without having someone look at it.

Site Supporter
    Outside of my lane, just extrapolating general negotiation tactics

1. To echo others, if is not in writing, it does not exist

2. sign nothing on the first visit

3. shop your recruiter, deal with somebody you like

4. If there is a direct to NSW pipeline, have him hold out for that "contract,"
    do not fall for the "let's just get you to basic and you can ask for it there" speech

5. He will never have more leverage re the outcome of this track than he will right now at the beginning with the possible exception of after he becomes a "made guy" and he is up for re-enlistment.

6. His entrance test scores are going to drive this train in the first instance. He should not have to sign up to take them.
    If the recruiter says to the contrary, run away.

7. The recruiters best interests and your son's best interests are not necessarily the same thing.

8. Blessings to you and yours.

9. Keep us in the loop.

10 Go Navy!

Don’t quit.

Don’t get hurt.

If you’re looking for more personalized advice or answers for questions, message me. Happy to share what I know, just not sharing it with the world.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

If he's committed to NSW he needs to get into the water and work on his swimming abilities in addition to his other physical preparation. It won't help if he bombs out in the initial swim qual.

I say this as an old sailor, if special warfare is the goal he really needs to consider the army. I spent some time working with NSW and they're certainly capable, but they're a bit of a one show pony. The army has far more avenues for special warfare than the Navy. It would be easier for him to find a place where he fits best with the quiet professionals rather than the Hollywood commandos.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-01-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Just a few days ago my son told me he was planning on going to go to a Navy recruiter's office. He is 19, finished high school this spring, was homeschooled, Eagle Scout, certified lifeguard and holds a leadership position (Sergeant) in the local police Cadets. He is a good solid person!

He has attended a few shooting classes with me and is an accomplished shooter. He won the NorthEast Regional Cadet Pistol competition besting close to 400. Right when CODID kicked off one of his Cadet buddies called him from his job and said, "I'll bet if you come here this morning you could get a job on the spot." He did and has been working full time at a local gun store since. He fit in seamlessly and at the risk of blowing my own horn, I taught him well.

This morning one of his co-workers at the gun store just picked him up and they are both headed down to the Navy recruiter's office in New Haven. His co-worker is in his mid to late 20's, a former Marine with 2 deployments has the same aspirations as my son, Naval Special Warfare. I know, lofty goal!

Mom has no clue at the moment as my son asked me to keep this under my hat. She is dealing with her mom who just had her 2nd hip replaced Monday.

My son has been working out constantly. I knew something was up. He's got no issues with physical requirements for induction. I told him he needs to get into the water and really find out if he can swim thousands of meters without smoking himself.

Any advice for either him or me as his dad?
    No advice but I have to say its been quite interesting to receive info and pics from a good friend regarding his Son’s progress through the Air Force’s Pararescue PJ program. Its brutal, the drop out rate is stunning.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List