Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Quick, no one tell @Duke that the Staccato line is Duty READY.
    Shit, I had to edit that post twice to get the cheese in the trap.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    Fair point. Question: Should a Nighthawk be considered only if you know it was done by Bob? I do see they have a worked-over Colt series 70 that I love the simplicity of. I actually prefer a more GI-looking 1911, but reliability is top priority.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pist.../colt-series70

Would this have as good of a chance of being combat-reliable out of the box as a quality 1911 worked over by one of the "Masters" 1911 'smiths?
    To my senses that NH retro Colt is pure sex. Filthy sex. It screams "BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA!"

In email back and forth with I think "Bob" I learned that the match fit bushing will improve precision a fair bit over factory but not like a hard fit gun. I want one bad. Hell, for those looks I could see myself dropping a fair bit of money at a future date to upgrade precision to stupefying level. Hobby math and rationalization are my super powers.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-01-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Funny you should mention this, a good friend shot mine and loved it. He found one NIB on Gunbroker for a smokin deal from some dealer who had apparently been trying to unload it for a while. $800 I think. It got here, guess what is wrong? FTE of course! Dropped in a Wilson extractor and it was cured. However the extractor is not flush with the rear of the slide so some filing is in order.
    Your Poly was solid right out of the gate. I’d look at tensioning the stock extractor on your buddy’s gun, and give it another try. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Dan Wesson 5" .45 ACP or Commander length 9mm. Either will EASILY go multiple thousands of rounds with routine maintenance and mainspring replacement as needed. I paid $950 for the Guardian (used, off a very nice forum member) and $800ish for my CCO off Gunbroker. Go wild with a Valor off GB for $1200ish, and try to break it!
    I just picked up a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 9mm yesterday, and it’s eaten 400 rounds of ball and Sig hollow points without a bobble. I really never have trouble with any of my Colts, Rugers, or Smith and Wesson 1911 pistols. Never. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  65.0 KB

ETA: I clean all of my firearms after each range trip. Shooting 2,000 rounds without cleaning, is an exercise in nothing. My shooting is done to improve my self defense skills, and I simply can’t foresee a fight that would last 2,000 rounds. I don’t have enough magazines to carry 2,000 rounds! I can field strip, clean, and lube a 1911 in less than 5 minutes. There’s no excuse not to take care of your firearms.
    Last edited by FrankB; 07-01-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yup. I’m kinda confused as to the issue. I’ve had a SA RO in .45 that would feed empty casings, a Colt Wiley Clapp that’s over 2000 and a DW Valor in 9mm that’s over 3500 with no issues. Check my posts in the 2K challenge thread for specific results. Although I think that’s an irrelevant (maybe a poor choice of word) goal. I would take (I actually took both a M9 and M4 that were less reliable) any of them to combat if I had to. I bet my life on them every time I carry them.

Nighthawk is easily recommended as a production line duty ready option by some heavy names in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yeah, no shit.
    I'm looking at the pics you sent me of your's, and I realize that I had my want list in the wrong order.
    FML
    I completely forgot we had that conversation. Jim's passing makes the Colt I had stolen all the more painful

Quote Originally Posted by banzaijohn View Post
    Unfortunately, the custom 1911 world is diminished with the passing of James Garthwaite yesterday.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...-Garthwaite-Jr
    What a loss.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I completely forgot we had that conversation. Jim's passing makes the Colt I had stolen all the more painful
    Yeah, that hurts right in the fucking feels.
    Better days my friend.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Yup. I’m kinda confused as to the issue. I’ve had a SA RO in .45 that would feed empty casings, a Colt Wiley Clapp that’s over 2000 and a DW Valor in 9mm that’s over 3500 with no issues. Check my posts in the 2K challenge thread for specific results. Although I think that’s an irrelevant (maybe a poor choice of word) goal. I would take (I actually took both a M9 and M4 that were less reliable) any of them to combat if I had to. I bet my life on them every time I carry them.

Nighthawk is easily recommended as a production line duty ready option by some heavy names in the industry.
    I'm envious of your results with 1911s. I've heard from several people over the years who've had similar experiences, where their 1911's are supremely reliable out of the box. Other than the Colt worked over by a gunsmith (which didn't have super glaring issues but still couldn't go 1k rounds without 1 stoppage), all of the other Colt and Springfield 1911s I've owned have had serious issues that had to go back to the shop because of, and at that point I have a hard time trusting it even if it gets fixed. I always have a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that it'll mess up when I need it most.

Your M4 was less reliable? That's interesting.

It sounds like Nighthawk Custom may be a good bet. For years I've looked at getting a Wilson Combat, but I've seen enough reports of issues out of the box with those that I'm a bit leery.

Quote Originally Posted by banzaijohn View Post
    Unfortunately, the custom 1911 world is diminished with the passing of James Garthwaite yesterday.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...-Garthwaite-Jr
    Wow that’s truly terrible news, Jim not only was a phenomenal Smith but also a great guy. He is one of the only custom/artisan craftsmen in the gun world that I’ve dealt with who was joy to talk with and always delivered on time. He will be missed, I’m happy to have gotten on his books earlier this year. My thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.

User Tag List