Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    An Officer's bushing et cetera would only fit the OACP and is not usable on a Government Model and you should not be charged for it.
    Ah okay. So I assume that's just something listed in the event an OACP is sent in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    It's a long video, about 3 1/2 hours, but there are gems of knowledge here and there on the 1911 especially from Joe Chambers.
    https://youtu.be/85aAkeTPK8A
    I am not a podcast person but I viewed/listened here and there. Its looooooong but I agree there is some good info in there.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I am not a podcast person but I viewed/listened here and there. Its looooooong but I agree there is some good info in there.
    Just finished it. There's some nuggets in them hills for sure.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I listened to it last week/weekend along with a bunch of Hilton Yam/10-8 videos and some 1911 build videos. To further preface, I subscribe to the Chambers 1911 University Patreon page.

Like many things 1911, it’s absolutely worth a listen. The videos I mentioned, combined with talking to a guy I respect a lot who is building a gun for me, and a memorable conversation with Jason Burton leads me to this...

The 1911 is art and science (I think there’s a thread on that). Having seen a mediocre variety of 1911s and magazines, I’ve come to some opinions, but I also know there are many people with better experience and perspectives. That said, I have no favorite magazine. I’ve seen just about all of them fail in some guns, and work great in others. I have preferences, but no favorites because in my experience different guns like different things. If a person builds their guns to work with one magazine and declares it “the best”...or “their favorite”... well then it is... to them.

To me... It doesn’t matter what works for them. It matters what works for me. I’d love to own a very high-dollar 1911, and if I did, I’d be dumb to not follow (or at least consider) the advice of the builder. That’s not me nor is it most 1911 owners.

So... Conclusion... Who knows. I have a Colt that won’t work with Tripp magazines but works 100% with Wilson 47s. I’m sure someone would take my money and make it work with the Tripps. I just use them in other guns. The podcast had a lot of praise for the CMC Power Mags. All of mine have been converted with Tripp Super Seven kits because they don’t run with ANY of my 1911s without the Tripp kits.

I am an 8 rounder 1911er and they have worked for me. When I started this venture in 2008 (when we were approved for 1911 carry) and my new to me then green (Springer MCOP) pistol has served me well. Originally, it ran CMC Power Mags (8s) for years with success. The only drawback was the follower that permanently tattooed just below the feed ramp from heavy use.

you can see the skip marks and the heavy dimple from the pointed follower that moves forward when empty. It has never caused an issue. I am running WC ETM 8s currently as my dept bought them so I decided to run the hell out of them. They have been good so far.

On another note, I got my DWS back together.

I saw heavy brass on the extractor, so I gave it some massaging.
    I changed the recoil spring to a 17# Wolff with the FP spring also.
    I did not have the proper bits to break the edge on the chamber, so I used what I had and that edge was slightly broken and polished.
    I cleaned up the unfinished machining in the frame with a file and stone where the sides of the barrel feet ride.

Its ready for test #2 but work is getting in my way

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

OK, asking for my brother, whose 9mm cco should be back from the smith in a couple weeks. What are the preferred mags, both flush and extended for this configuration? I assume he's gonna be running FBI Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P Flexlock (#90115) like he does in his glocks
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-10-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Picked up the O1911SE-A1 Colt Limited Edition 1911 today. Overall I like it. I like a lot more than I don't like and all the dislikes are minor save for one.

-old school Colt patent roll marks on left side look good
    -brass bead front sight with plain black rear
    -vertical cocking serrations instead of angled ones seems to look good combined with the patent roll marks
    -undercut trigger guard
    -checkered front strap
    -modern beaver tail grip safety with memory bump combined
    -ring hammer which I prefer the looks of compared to a spur hammer
    -extractor seems to have tension from the factory. I can slide a .45 round under the extractor and shake the slide and the round stays put. I don’t have a lot of .45 ammo left so I’ll see if I have enough to run the 10-8 extractor test when I go shoot.
    -even the barrel and barrel bushing are blued so everything matches
    -the wood grips look good on the blued gun

Dislikes:
    -instead of rollmarks on the right side, they chose to laser engrave "limited edition" and the serial number. It doesn't look as good as roll marks. @SoCalDep mentioned this before. It’s a very minor gripe that doesn’t really take away from my enjoyment of the package as a whole.
    -the gun came with a small scratch on the slide under the ejection port that wasn't in the gunbroker photos. If this was supposed to be a display or collector's item, I'd be ticked off. Since I'm going to shoot it, it'll get dinged up anyway so it’s not a big deal.
    -the safety is looks similar to the original USGI 1911 safety. It fits with the vertical cocking serrations and Colt patent roll marks. That’s the only positive thing. This safety is tiny and I have small hands so I'm trying to hit this small safety with my small thumbs. It’s tough to reliably deactivate it without my thumb slipping off. This is the big dislike for me. The safety is also pretty stiff. Hopefully it breaks in and becomes easier to disengage. I’ll see what it feels like in live fire but right now I’m leaning towards eventually having it replaced with a WC Bulletproof Ambi Safety.
    -the grip safety doesn’t disengage until about 90% of its travel. I’d prefer it to disengage around 50%. This won’t be a defensive or competition gun so that’s not a huge deal.
    -the gun only came with one magazine and it's a welded bottom style. Guns should come with at least two magazines.

Undecided:
    -short trigger. I don't have any long or medium trigger experience to compare it to so this might be good or it might be less good but I don’t know.
    -trigger pull is heavier than I expected. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge. Might break in with use

My photography skills are lacking so if you’d like to see what one looks like, search gunbroker for the SKU. Some of the listings have solid photos.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    OK, asking for my brother, whose 9mm cco should be back from the smith in a couple weeks. What are the preferred mags, both flush and extended for this configuration? I assume he's gonna be running FBI Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P Flexlock (#90115) like he does in his glocks
    My commander sized 9mm runs great out of Ed Brown mags.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I’d be tempted to go with Wilson ETMs because you have the choice of 8rd flush fit, 9rd extended, and 10rd extended.

ETA I use mostly Browns but also a couple ETMs with my 9mm Commander. All work. I did not consider ETMs for my primary mag in part because they don’t make a 9rd one in full size format, only the extended 10rd, leaving the full size 9mm guns without a flush fit ETM. The Officer mags don’t have that problem.

Site Supporter
    What Elwin said. The 8 and 9 round ETMs would be my first choice for a CCO.

User Tag List