Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Could be. They are very tight with a certain premiere Army SF unit and tend to model their choices.

G21s are still around as grandfathered POWs for use like the Pros.
    There were/are G21's used by a premiere Army SF unit? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    FBI HRT and Regional SWAT haven’t used the SA PRO in several years.

SWAT Agents with grandfathered Personally owned PROs can still carry them during normal duties but they are no longer issued or approved for SWAT use. They were replaced with green framed Gen 4 G17s with factory minus connectors prior to the FBI’s general transition to 9mm.

HRT operates on Fight Club rules but allegedly they went to G22s then 17/19s long before the rest of the Bureau and are currently running 9mm Glocks with red dots.

Other DOJ special units also used or allowed SA PROs off theFBI/DOJ contract. They have been replaced with 9mm Glocks, some with red dots or in the case of USMS, 2011s with red dots.
    I wonder what happens to all of those issued Professionals that are no longer issued and/or approved. Are they still in arms rooms? Did they get returned to SA? God forbid, destroyed?

It would be interesting to take a dozen of these hard use 1911 pistols, take them new out of the box, and run 2,000 rounds of standard pressure HST 230 grain ammo through each of them. Then take six HK45 and six HK USP FS pistols, repeat the same 2,000 rounds each, and compare results.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It would be interesting to take a dozen of these hard use 1911 pistols, take them new out of the box, and run 2,000 rounds of standard pressure HST 230 grain ammo through each of them. Then take six HK45 and six HK USP FS pistols, repeat the same 2,000 rounds each, and compare results.
    If I was free to lube— like I am in real life — I’d expect similar results. Wet 1911s run like raped apes.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    There were/are G21's used by a premiere Army SF unit? Interesting.
    The G21 comment was in refrence to FBI use.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, the Springfield Professional seems to get good praise almost universally. Does anyone know if the FBI HRT still uses them, or have they since moved on?

Sorry if this thread annoys some people. I'm just trying to gain knowledge. I love my G19's and G21's and have the utmost confidence in them, but I feel like I'll always have an itch for a good hard use 1911 until I get one.
    Your previous threads about 9 mm and Glock 21s seem to contradict this statement. Could you enlighten us as to when you became very confident in the 9 mm and the Glock 21 and how that transition occurred. Thanks.

I guess it’s not really an apples to apples comparison but Todd’s Warren and HK45 long term test we’re pretty telling. My guess is a similar 1911 in 45 would have about half as many stoppages as the 9mm Warren but still more than the HK. I love 1911’s but they’re kind of like race cars. You gotta know what you’re looking for to head off problems.

I really miss Todd’s long term test journals.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I think we all know what the results would be.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I think we all know what the results would be.
    Based on Todd’s test and my personal experience, I have a good idea how the HK pistols would do, but I am interested in what the 1911 numbers would be. I have had some really good 1911 pistols, and some dogs, but here we would be using those 1911 pistols considered best in class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I wonder what happens to all of those issued Professionals that are no longer issued and/or approved. Are they still in arms rooms? Did they get returned to SA? God forbid, destroyed?
    They are GOV property so they won't go back to SA. There are still some in arms rooms but they (the GOV issue)are no longer authorized for field use. At least some will be retained for historical purposes, citizen's academy shoots etc.

The only .45s still approved are grandfathered, previously approved personally owned PROs and G21s.

User Tag List