Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Yet Colt Rail Gun frames cracked very early in the M45 tests. From above on the M45 tests.

Below is a summary of broken or cracked components produced as a result of this reliability test:
    6 broken slide stops
    5 broken ejectors (legs sheared)
    4 cracked slides
    3 broken thumb safeties
    2 broken front sights
    1 cracked frame at the accessory rail
    1 broken extractor
    1 broken plunger tube (legs sheared)
    5.3.1.3 Test Observations
    The following are some test observations made during the reliability test effort.
    1) Roughly 10 times more Class I failures were experienced when no accessory was mounted to the UUTs vs. when the AN/PEQ-6As were mounted.
    2) Operators noted that the recoil from the UUTs was noticeably sharper and/or heavier than the recoil from the current MEU(SOC) .45 pistol. Most attributed this to a weak recoil
    spring.
    3) There were a few instances of UUTs with high Class I failure rates that were corrected by replacing the recoil spring with a new one (UUTs 11B14 and 11B15).
    4) After firing 150 rounds, the recoil springs reduced in length from 7.32 inches to 6.46 inches. After 450 rounds, the recoil springs measured approximately 6.38 inches in
    length. After 4,500 rounds, the recoil springs measured approximately 5.94 inches in length.
    5) On multiple occasions when replacing the recoil spring with a new one, the new recoil spring would kink and bind the slide so that it would not cycle (similar to what occurred with UUT 11B13). Pulling out the new spring would reveal that it had received a permanent bend as a result of this binding (see Figure 10). Depending on the severity of the set in the spring, some of the new recoil springs had to be replaced again without ever firing a round so that the slide could move without binding. The assembly procedure used by the personnel replacing the recoil springs was verified to be as specified in Colt's provided Armorer's manual, so this was not attributed to operator error.
    The slide cracks were attributed by some to stress risers from the sharp front cocking serrations, but the round count, on its own, when the cracks were noted did not seem high enough to warrant cracking. The location of the FCS resulted in the slide being very thin in that area. The frame crack was at the accessory rail. I would note that the material of the M45 test units was 410/416 stainless. I suspect a high carbon steel like 4140 would be much more resistant to notch failures.

I would also note that the tests showed issues with recoil springs and the GI spring guides binding. Felt recoil was noted by the shooters to be higher than existing pistols. All suggesting the recoil spring was not properly specified for the application.

That only points out that adding material in and of itself is not a panacea when it comes to 1911 frames and slide cracking. For me, a true high round count gun starts with major components made from carbon steel with springs properly specified for that pistol. I am not a 1911 smith of the stature of Mr. Burton, but I have seen two "identical" STI Trojans that needed two different recoil springs as one would throw the brass into the next county while the other using the same spring dumped empties into a pile onto a tarp about six feet away. Just an anecdote but educational.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    You need to time those screw heads on the grip panels
    That's why Torx heads are the way to go!😁

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    That's why Torx heads are the way to go!😁
    Blasphemer!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    That's why Torx heads are the way to go![emoji16]
    And people call me a heretic for carrying a plastic framed 1911....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Blasphemer!
    Perhaps, but nobody steals my fancy stocks using a dime! You want my stuff, you have to bring tools!

another flip side is carry cheap plastic and nobody will want these.

Some 15+ years ago, myself and another officer were sent to a Glock Instructor workshop. Dont laugh, but our Admin was so tight with ammo purchases.... they bought steel case Wolff as training ammo for our G21s.

This stuff was great for malfunction clearance.

We each had a 1000 rounds of .45 Wolff. I decided to leave my ammo on the range tables overnight and next morning... all of it was still there.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    another flip side is carry cheap plastic and nobody will want these.

Some 15+ years ago, myself and another officer were sent to a Glock Instructor workshop. Dont laugh, but our Admin was so tight with ammo purchases.... they bought steel case Wolff as training ammo for our G21s.

This stuff was great for malfunction clearance.

We each had a 1000 rounds of .45 Wolff. I decided to leave my ammo on the range tables overnight and next morning... all of it was still there.
    Confession, I found some Wolf ammo that my brother had from years ago (about 150 rounds) and my TRP loved every bite.

The last time I tried Tula .45 ACP, not only did I notice performance variations from round to round, it was also some of the filthiest stuff I'd encountered. It did work, though-I don't recall encountering any malfunctions with it, but I'm in no rush to go back and re-try-even in these shortage times. Unless I absolutely have to... Wolf use I confined to their 9 x 18 Makarov and 7.62 x 39; that was definitely in their wheelhouse, and seems decent. Not sure if Wolf and Tula are from the same company/plants.

Best, Jon

I have a bunch of Tula 9mm I bought circa...2012/2013/2014 during one of the Obama ammo droughts. I found it for a good price and bought 500 rounds of it. To date I've fired...about 50 of those rounds in what gun I can't remember, but there wasn't an issue.

The main reason I haven't shot it all is Tula uses a bi-metal jacket that is magnetic and the steel in the jacket is a no go at most of the indoor ranges where I shoot. It shoots fine and I haven't found any significant round-to-round variation, but I imagine that Tula's QC will vary from time-to-time. All of the ones I've randomly spot checked have passed the plunk test, so that's a generally good sign.

The stupid coating on the cases get burnt in the chamber and it is annoying to clean, but not impossible to get out. Choreboy and a powerdrill is a must if you're going to shoot a bunch of this stuff.

Once I find a good outdoor spot with a good berm, I'll dump the rest of it through my AR9 and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I can second MARS, Steve does great work. I had an AXIOM built with a Kart Barrel and it has run flawless. He will build it the way you want it.

User Tag List