Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Quick, no one tell @Duke that the Staccato line is Duty READY.
    Yep and The Kung flu - which is the deadliest shit ever- literally worse than Hitler, can be totally cured by wearing a gangster ass looking old t Shirt on your face and making sure you follow directional rope at the Walmart door.

Forgive me If I don’t believe.

Maybe I have been lucky... but my 1911s just run and run. Any stoppage I have had are 100% ammo related if my handloads go out of spec for any reason. Any and all factory ammo through any of mine are 100%.

My heavy hitters are a Baer, Wilson, and Springfield Pro... and coming up in the ranks is a stock TRP. The Baer has been massaged a little bit to shoot my shooting style. But they don't have problems running up to 1,000 round's with minimal oil. I do my own version of an abbreviated torture test. Not to beat up on the gun, but because maybe I won't take the time to strip the gun to make sure it is oiled and clean before stepping out. I want it to be able to run dryer than a popcorn fart for at least 50 rounds. After that I will be using it as a club.

I've had excellent performance out of my Wilson Combat Protector Elite. I've also had the opportunity to observe multiple Springfield Professional models. While the Pro might not be the semi-custom 1911 I'd spec out, I think you'd be hard pressed to name a more thoroughly vetted 1911 model through LE and military use. Since the OP mentioned government contracts, SACS has certainly been the builder of choice for LE and military units who needed a 1911.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Why wouldn't the SA Vickers master class be a contender?
    Even if you wanted to tweak it to make it a little more custom, it would be a heck of a base gun for later.

ETA: At the Vicker's Master Class price point, I'm tempted to buy one, that way I have something to play with while I wait my turn at a custom smith's.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Even if you wanted to tweak it to make it a little more custom, it would be a heck of a base gun for later.
    I think the Vickers Master Class hits a great price point. I'm sure they'll sell well. I wouldn't steer someone away from one, but it's not a SACS gun. Nor is it the Vickers Elite.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Springfield Armory has a real winner there.

Site Supporter

ETA: At the Vicker's Master Class price point, I'm tempted to buy one, that way I have something to play with while I wait my turn at a custom smith's.
    You mean besides the fact that they aren’t even in the wild yet ?

Regardless of how well (or not) LAV spec’ed it SA custom / distributor runs like this have been very much hit or miss.

Do a PF search for the Lipseys Combat Operator and for issues with tins of the SACS Warren Operator.

I’m not an SA hater, my favorite 1911 is TRP with some Actions by T work but my SA 1911 experiences have been sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don’t.

My Wilson is up over 2000rds now without a single hiccup. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You mean besides the fact that they aren’t even in the wild yet ?

Regardless of how well (or not) LAV spec’ed it SA custom / distributor runs like this have been very much hit or miss.

Do a PF search for the Lipseys Combat Operator and for issues with tins of the SACS Warren Operator.

I’m not an SA hater, my favorite 1911 is TRP with some Actions by T work but my SA 1911 experiences have been sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don’t.
    Big question, would you buy one?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

During the last 10 minutes of his Ballistic Radio interview, Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision gives his thoughts on 1911s at various price points. Well worth the listen.

Ballistic Radio: TWO World Wars!
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Big question, would you buy one?
    Only with the understanding that the odds of getting a gun that is good to go are 50/50.

Honestly I don’t see myself buying another iron cited 1911. I have a Springfield operator with armor on layaway at a local shop But I am going into it with the knowledge that if the gun has issues I either need to dump it or put a grand into it.

If you want a GTG gun from SA you either get lucky or you pay the tarriff for a SACS gun.

User Tag List