Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That wouldn’t be very bulletproof.

I know the shooter, he takes care of his stuff and says he’s never dropped the gun. The part broke off in the middle of a string of a practice session / was witnessed.

I’ll confirm which part it was.
    Might of been a pocket in the metal when they forged it or whatever their process was. Slowly spread during recoil. See it a lot in knives, I'm sure wilson would make it right if he calls

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I need to do this - I have several pistols that would be improved with better front strap texture. I’ve used the (Wilson?) embossed metal overlay before, but I think this would be better.
    Very easy to do. Exacto knife and a little patience. Cloth tape to measure if you're that anal. Hairdryer per instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have Talon grip tape on a few Sigs. I discovered that particular tape when I purchased a P-239 from a member here. Looks like shit, works like an illegal Mexican field hand. Ghetto blaster for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/TALON-998G-Gr...st_sto_dp&th=1
    Amazon store only shows granulate or rubber, not the PRO. Direct from Talon:

https://talongungrips.com/other-grip...terial-sheets/

PRO texture in drop-down menu.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Might of been a pocket in the metal when they forged it or whatever their process was. Slowly spread during recoil. See it a lot in knives, I'm sure wilson would make it right if he calls
    I’m sure they will.

It was the extended.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Sure it is. 1911s are awesome and there’s nothing wrong with enjoying things.

I have 2 p365s because they make the most sense for what I need out of a carry gun. I have a Les Baer because it makes me happy and I enjoy shooting it. The hard part for me is not confusing the two sometimes.
    Same.

The rule of cool applies. Always.

I'll never dog a man for loving a 1911, and there's a lot of other guns that make a lot more sense.

I just watched Tom Selleck's "Jesse Stone" movies a few too many times to every fully be rid of my absolute love of a nice blued 1911 with wood grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    After playing with some of the stock sets I had on hand, I determined that I wanted to stay with thin stocks. The problem with thin stocks, is that they require thin bushings and screws. The issue with that is that no one offers slotted thin screws. Altamont used to (which is why I originally went with them), but now seems to be out of the thin grip game. Enter the VZ universal bushings: https://vzgrips.com/products/1911-gr...universal.html , which they claim to work with both standard and thin grips. I got the O-rings, too.

Now, neither VZ nor LOK offered grips with full checkering. The checkered LOKs on my Hi-Power were perfect, so a phone call with a nice lady at LOK revealed that I could order their thin Classics, and at checkout request them to be fully checkered, which I did.

Attachment 106699

The result is exactly what I was after. I'm glab that I got the O-rings, because without them, standard slotted grip screws will protrude into the magazine well. With the O-rings, the screws are just at/below flush. The heads are a little proud of the grip panel, but frankly not too bad.
    I like this setup so well that I gave my .45 Ruger the same treatment. I added a Wilson slip-on magwell because I don't care for the CMC 8 round RPM's hanging out in space below the grip. I went with stainless (grip screws, too) 1) because the frame is nitrided stainless, and 2) so I don't mix it up with the 9mm SA Champion at a glance. It would be bad juju to tote a 9mm pistol and .45 reloads, or vice versa. LOK will mill their thin grip panels for the slip-on magwell.

Name:  IMG_20230808_125105592[1].jpg
Views: 275
Size:  37.1 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I like the white metal magwell. It adds a nice contrast to the overall appearance.

User Tag List